Win7 build 7100 Event-ID 41 Kernel-Power BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I've been running the Win7 RC (build 7100) for several months now, and everything has been prettymuch fine--save that twice I've had completely random BSODs with Event-ID 41, Kernel-Power errors. This has only happened twice while the computer has been sitting idle; since the crashes have been totally random--only one of which, the most recent, I actually observed (the other happened in the middle of the night)--I haven't been able to isolate any particular cause for this.

I've read every topic already posted here concerning Event-ID 41, paying particular attention to Robinson Zhang's suggesting to update any Realtek drivers. However, to my knowledge, I have no Realtek devices installed. I may well be in error there....At any rate, here is the Event Viewer XHTML info for the event:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>2</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-09-27T22:19:16.186000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>24808</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>Skipper</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BugcheckCode">209</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x2</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff8800525e355</Data>
      <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
      <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Any suggestions concerning this?

This is NOT an urgent issue: it's only happened twice, well over two months apart, and hasn't resulted in any notable data loss. I'd just like to figure out what's happening here. Most likely it's a situation already dealt with, and probably isn't even an issue in the official release of Win7.

Thanks for any tips, folks!

D. Pegritz
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:29 PM

Answers

• It should be a driver problem, please update your BIOS and driver from the computer manufacturer's website. You can also test it in Device Clean Boot mode:

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Please check the results.

You can upload the minidump file to http://skydrive.live.com/.

According to the Petkun minidump, it was caused by a Vista driver and it did not indicate which driver it is.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 5, 2009 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

To address this issue, Microsoft has published a knowledge base (KB) article:

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".

Click the following link to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hi pegritz,

Are there any .dmp files in %systemroot%\minidump (e.g. c:\windows\minidump ) with timestamps that match the occurrences of the bugcheck?  If so, can you put them into a password-protected ZIP file and upload them somewhere?  Publicly or privately share the location, and privately share the password with those you would have inspect the dump files.  My email address can be found in my profile.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:20 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. I thought it was memory fault and I've tested my RAM several times with different utilities, but they didn't find any problems. I tried taking out memory sticks, switching them, leaving only one of them, but the problem persists.  I think this problem appeared after installing Win7 (Build 7100).

Here is the link to my minidump file.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:49 PM
  • It should be a driver problem, please update your BIOS and driver from the computer manufacturer's website. You can also test it in Device Clean Boot mode:

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Please check the results.

You can upload the minidump file to http://skydrive.live.com/.

According to the Petkun minidump, it was caused by a Vista driver and it did not indicate which driver it is.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 5, 2009 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hi Petkun,

In addition to the other suggestions...

According to your dumps, Bugcheck code 0x124 is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - "This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred.".

You've already done it, but a common suggestion is to test the memory with e.g. Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86.  If you are able to, remove some RAM from the system and try to reproduce the bugcheck; then swap the RAM in the system with the RAM you removed and again see if you can reproduce the bugcheck, etc.

Note that memory that passes a memory diagnostic is not necessarily "good" memory - a successful test simply indicates that the memory did not fail the test.

Also run any other manufacturer diagnostics you may have available, and consider removing unnecessary hardware from the system, temporarily (other HDs, optical drives, USB devices, etc.), and see if that makes any difference.

Make sure you're using the latest BIOS and firmware for any components in your system, as well as the latest drivers.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:40 AM
  • I have the same problem on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64.
    The Dump check (using WinDbg) points to SVCHOST and says memory corruption related error.
    The problem is that The memory on my system is new, so I took it to the dealer and after 2 days of testing they guarantee that it is OK 100% so, what is causing this?

My PC worked fine with vista, never a problem whatsoever.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Hi MasterTB,

Memory corruption need not necessarily refer to the physical modules.  Rather, some software could be corrupting memory.  Can you privately provide the dump file?  Or, post the results of analysis?  If it does indicate memory corruption is at fault, it may be a faulty driver.  To determine this, consider running verifier.exe, and enabling standard settings for all non-Microsoft drivers.  Reboot, and then see if you get another crash (verifier will hopefully cause the crash to occur at the point of corruption, rather than further on down the road when the victim may be implicated as the culprit).

In the event you are not able to reboot successfully after enabling verifier, boot into safe mode and use the "Delete existing settings" option of verifier.exe and reboot.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Thanks for all suggestions. The thing is I can't reproduce the bug, it just happens sometimes...
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:44 PM
  • There's no harm in leaving verifier (set up as indicated) turned on indefinitely - you may experience a bit of a perf hit, but if you can tolerate that you can wait for something to happen...
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Hello Xing,

my machine is randomly experiencing BSOD which shut down my work machine.
    I have uploaded 2 minidumps to my skydrive.
    Could you please help me to detect what might be the reason?
    I have win7 x64 ultimate OS installed on Dell inspiron 1525 machine
    htttp://cid-323e694039d8d774.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Thanks in advance,
    Eila

Eila
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:25 PM
  • I would like to add that I get the impression that IE8 has something to do with the crash.
    IE8 is hunging few times a day :(

Thanks,
    Eila
    Eila
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Hi Ella,

Internet Explorer is a user-mode application, and is different from drivers or the kernel.  Bugchecks occur as a result of faulty hardware, or faulty drivers or other kernel mode components.  So Internet Explorer is likely affected by the problems you are encountering, but not the cause...
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Please run sfc /scannow.  Also run chkdsk /r on your partitions.

Are there any noteworthy events in the event logs, perhaps indications that "a device has a bad block"?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:45 AM
  • I had the same issue a friend of mine who's a tech looked at a # of issues but it ultimately was two RAM sticks that were the culprit, swapped those out and he seems to have corrected the issue/problem. 
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Yes, faulty RAM or other hardware can cause bugchecks, as well as faulty drivers or kernel-mode components.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

To address this issue, Microsoft has published a knowledge base (KB) article:

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".

Click the following link to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:07 AM