WinRT.SYS causing crashes? RRS feed

• Question

• For the past month on my work computer, I've been having a random crash problem, and can not find the root of the problem anywhere.  

Here's what happens:  the mouse will lock up, and the computer will freeze.  Even if I put in a separate mouse or keyboard it will still be frozen.  Then the computer will just shut down.

In the event log, the shutdown is listed as a Kernel-Power (Event 41) critical error.

Immediately before this critical error, there is an Application Popup (Event 1060) error: "\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\WinRT.SYS has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver."

I've searched far and wide on the internet, and can't find anyone else who has had this problem.  All of my drivers are up to date, and this is almost a brand-new computer.  

Is this a Windows problem?  Here is a rundown of the computer specs:

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU (w/ Intel integrated graphics)
    Transcend 128GB SSD (boot drive)
    Seagate 1TB HDD
    16 GB RAM
    64 Bit Windows 7 Enterprise OS

• Edited by jfailing Monday, December 30, 2013 6:17 AM Added Event Error code
    Monday, December 30, 2013 5:59 AM

Answers

• The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:09 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 8:50 AM

All replies

• The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:09 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  I belive that WinRT.sys is causing the shutdown, is because the event log shows an error right before the Kernel Power Event 41 (when the computer shuts down).

Unfortunately, we are currently connected to a UPS system.  There are two other computers hooked up to the same UPS, but the third is shuttind down, seemingly at random.

"To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred."

The majority of the time, the computer will shutdown randomly - about 30% of the time, it freezes before shutting down.  Sometimes I'll be in the middle of a document, will look away for 5 seconds, and the computer will have turned off automatically.

All power settings have been changed to never hibernate/sleep or go into a power-save mode.  Since the problem kept occuring, I changed the time settings from "Never," to about 1 year instead (based off of reading several other forums).

Is there any way to run a diagnostic tool that could fix this issue?  Like I said, it's only happening on 1 out of three computers, all plugged into the same UPS.  I've done extensive research on the subject, and I can't seem to find a solution. 

Our IT department is of no help, partly due to them being 1000 miles away (literally), so it looks like I'll have to remedy the problem myself somehow.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:28 AM
  • I am having the same exact issue.  It was also happening with WinXP before I upgraded to Win7 Pro 64 bit.  Also connected to UPS.  I have tried everything...updating BIOS, changing power management properties of CPU, and installing latest drivers.  Also, I unchecked the option to "automatically restart" under system failure in the advanced settings but still the machine rebooted this morning.  This morning one of my employees was attempting to print something from the web when it happened.  There was an error regarding the print spooler failing to load the module just before the error concerning the winrt.sys failing to load.  The next error was the one about Windows not shutting down cleanly.  Could this be an issue of hardware overclocking the CPU?
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:56 PM