none
MSN MoneyCentral IQY connection failure

Question

• Since our last topic shows as answered, I am reposting a new one. 

I am using Microsoft Excel 2010 and up until yesterday, 12/22/14 ~10am everything has been working fine. At the moment this connection is still unavailable and instead of quotes it downloads the main MSN money website into a spreadsheet. It appears that http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=  link from the IQY file is not functional anymore.

There is a number of folks having the same issue, so it is likely that the issue is with MSN.

Here is the link to an old threat:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7be00779-07fa-4623-bcb7-6f606cb8afde/msn-moneycentral-web-queries-not-working?forum=excel

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

We have realized this issue, the PG team is working on the problem and will fix the issue in a short time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 6:08 AM
  • 12/27/2014 having the same problem. Problem not fixed or do I need to change the URL in the .iqy file?

• Edited by zerph Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:20 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Any update George?  Do we have a timeline yet for a fix?  BTW, installing and running OffCAT did not help.  

Regards

Joe

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Hi all,

Update, the stocking is working now.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, January 05, 2015 8:09 AM
  • The functionality does seems to work again for returning stock information (MSFT,IBM,FB,TWTR) although the formatting for the daily percentage change is inaccurate.  (56.00% change is displayed when the correct value should be 0.56%)

The functionality is not working for ETFs (SPY,IVV,XLE,XLF) or for mutual funds (VFIAX,VTSMX,AGTHX).

The functionality is not working for Investor Currency Rates.

The functionality is not working for Investor Major Indicies.

Monday, January 05, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Stock information is returned when the data connection parameter is supplied by manually entering a prompt string or as values supplied in the Parameters dialog, but when multiple cells are requested as the parameter value, one sees only "Data not available".  Might this indicate a problem with the format of the Symbol parameter on the web request?

It looks like Excel separates the symbols with "+" rather than comma.  For example,

SYMBOL=IBM+AAPL+MSFT

Since Excel is not changing, it looks like the web service needs to allow either comma or plus sign as the separator.
    • Edited by NFFATX Monday, January 05, 2015 11:01 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2015 5:13 PM
  • The old web service address was

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=["QUOTE","Enter stock, fund or other MSN MoneyCentral Investor symbols separated by commas."]

The new address is

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/quoteslookup?SYMBOL=["QUOTE","Enter stock, fund or other symbols separated by commas."]

Microsoft returns an HTTP 307 (Moved Temporarily) to the original request so there is no need to change your IQY file.

• Edited by NFFATX Monday, January 05, 2015 8:43 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Hi, I'm confused. Is this supposed to be working now? Do I need to change anything to make it work? Thanks...
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 6:54 PM
  • I put the new address in the query location, but still no data is returned.  I have a list of about 50 stocks specified (by cell addresses) in the parameter setting, but nothing is returned. I returned to the old address and still nothing either.  Now what?
    Wednesday, January 07, 2015 7:09 PM
  • I am not sure anything is actually working today.  Some things were working yesterday, but today nothing is working.  Very very frustrating.

I don't know if anyone will see this since it is marked "fixed" but it is NOT FIXED.

Yesterday, quotes could be obtained from the redirected site

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/quoteslookup?SYMBOL=["

provided you did NOT store the symbols in Excel cells.

It was also reported that the daily change percent was being handled as a number rather than a percent (multiplying the change by 100), that ETFs and mutual funds were not being handled, and that requests for currency rates and indices were not being handled.

If George Zhao or someone at Pactera Technologies could please let us know what is going on it would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 10:27 PM
  • It seems to be working erratically. Sometimes it refreshes, othertimes you get the "no data returned" error. I'm using the following connection URL:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/quoteslookup?SYMBOL=["QUOTE","Enter%20stock,%20fund%20or%20other%20MSN%20MoneyCentral%20Investor%20symbols%20separated%20by%20commas."]

The normal parameter for getting a list of quotes from cells, e.g.  (=$B1:$B50) doesn't work. A workaround is to generate a concatenation of the cell's symbols with intervening commas e.g. (=B1&","&B2&","&B3&","&B4&"," . . . ) in another cell and refer to that cell  in the parameter block.

When it does work, there's also a problem with some stock symbols not being recognized (e.g. MFC) and when it hits that symbol, it stops at that point and doesn't go any further in the list. There are other intermittent weird actions.

Any info on when all this will be fixed properly?

Friday, January 09, 2015 5:29 PM
  • This is really disappointing that Microsoft is not addressing this issue.  For over ten years, I have used this service in my High School Personal Finance classes.  Students construct a $100,000 fictitious portfolio and compete with each other over a 16-week period.  We don’t buy and sell, (I am not teaching them to be day traders) but rather hold onto our stock picks for the duration of the semester.  We refresh at the end of each week and compile our data in a line chart that includes a comparison of our results to the DOW.  I realize that I could do this with an online stock market game, but I want my students to gain valuable Excel skills by designing the spreadsheet with multiple worksheets, formulas and conditional formats.  Not having this service available will certainly change the way I teach the investment portion of my class.

I also have my eighth grade classes create macros for footers in both Word and Excel.  Ever since the introduction of MS Office 2007, our macros no longer worked using the recorder.  Now we have to modify our code in order for the macros to execute properly (try getting 25 eighth graders to modify the code!)

As a teacher of MS programs for over 20 years, I often scratch my head when MS doesn’t respond to obvious problems.

My school is on a path to convert our student base to Google Docs (no debate here on which package is more powerful)…my preference is to stay with MS, as I have been a staunch supporter of MS programs, but I sometimes question my allegiance when MS fails to respond or even acknowledge the requests of their customers.

Jeff Shirey
    High School Business Teacher
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA

Thursday, January 15, 2015 5:55 AM