How to change "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" path RRS feed

• Question

• I do not have enough space on server 2008 C: drive and want to update the windows patches. Can we change the path for automatic download forlder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" to the another drive and how?

Please help.

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hi jitendra_eric,

>Can we change the path for automatic download forlder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" to the another drive and how?

I'm afraid that we can not change the location of SoftwareDistribution, as soon as we move the folder, it will recreate again in the original path automatically.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to save space of C: drive, you can delete SoftwareDistribution folder frequently:

In cmd, enter net stop wuauserv;

Delete SoftwareDistribution folder;

In cmd, enter net start wuauserv.

Then the folder will recreate in the location and old update files will be removed.

Besides, you may do other maintenance to spare space of C:drive, you may delete other useless log files, and right click disk>properties>Disk Cleanup.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 24, 2016 6:09 AM