none
Question about Windows 2016 Std. licence activation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

• we installed 4 x Vmware VMs  with Windows Server 2016 Std  (also one as Domaincontroller)  but without activating the licence.
    • We get Licence Activation Error.  I am sorry – I don´t have the exact erorr here. We purchased 16 x   Windows Server 2Core 2016 Standard via OPEN Volume     (because we run 4x VMs with Windows Server 2016 Std. German)
    • As far as I know - my collegue used this ISO:  SSS_X64FRE_DE-DE_DV9.ISO  and said he needs now OEM Keys
    • We have no KMS Server
    • Do you think a Domaincontroller can be damaged with procedures like  dism/slmgr ?
    • I don´t know, what exact Version is visable via Start/Run/winver.exe

Question: what do you recommend in this case? As far as I know, such situation is solvable with some procedures like dism or slmgr without damage.

Solution-Ideas: 

• buying  OEM CD/Key   >   2 x   P73-07115 (german)   pr P73-07113(UK)  (without OEM Branding like HPE ROK…)
    • We didn´t exclude the possiblity that our Volume Key has reached maximum automatic activation´s
    • According to google Reasearch there are some Procedures with   slmgr  or dism…      (e.g.  Evaluation to OEM or to OPEN Volume Licence) Google Research:
    • DISM /online /Set-Edition: /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/hh825157.aspx
    • Slmgr :   https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths  (right above is english..) Converting a current retail version to a current volume-licensed version At any time after installing Windows Server 2016, you can freely convert it between a retail version, a volume-licensed version, or an OEM version. The edition remains the same during this conversion. If you are starting with an evaluation version, convert it to the retail version first, and then you can inter-convert as described here. To do this, from an elevated command prompt, run: slmgr /ipk <key>  Where <key> is the appropriate volume-license, retail, or OEM product key.

official Article Numbers as far as I know:

9EM-00124  -  MICROSOFT Windows Server Standard 2016 (2-core) Volumenlizenz       P73-07115  -  Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard - Lizenz - 16 Kerne - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - german

Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:06 AM

Answers

• Two things;

As to conversion to full, the simplest / safest method is to build a new one from the correct distribution media.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2016 guest, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:38 PM
  • slmgr /dli should tell you the product key channel which would line up with the installation media used.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by R2D2-Rev.2 Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:22 PM

All replies

• Two things;

As to conversion to full, the simplest / safest method is to build a new one from the correct distribution media.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2016 guest, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:38 PM
  • Hello, 

I just learned that HPE ROK Win2019 Std.  also has some flexibility, like downgrade etc.

Sorry, can I bother with one further question:  

Do you think it is possible to see (e.g. via winver.exe)   which install-medium was used? (when win2016 std. was installed)  

I mean eval oem, OPEN etc...

Thx.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 5:06 PM
  • slmgr /dli should tell you the product key channel which would line up with the installation media used.

• Marked as answer by R2D2-Rev.2 Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:22 PM
  • thx so much!
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:26 AM
  • You're welcome.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:21 PM