WS2016 Feature Install Failed. RRS feed

• Question

• I've got two Azure Virtual Machines, they are both Windows Server 2016. I've Installed IIS on both and have installed Classic ASP on one of them with no problems. However when I attempt to install Classic ASP on the second VM, it fails with error code: 0x800f0922

I have tried using powershell to install the feature, however when I run:

Install-WindowsFeature "Web-ASP" I get the same Error code.

Monday, December 19, 2016 1:44 PM

Answers

• Finally solved my issue after 3 days of fighting it! Ultimately, I have Shared Configuration setup in IIS and the

Installer did not have permissions to modify the applicationhost.config file.

"Some further testing showed that I (and customer) had Shared Configuration enabled on the machine.
    And, in short, the installer runs with an identity that normally do not have access to the share where the shared configuration applicationhost.config is located.
    And, equally short, the solution here was to disable Shared Configuration during the installation of the Application Initialization feature.
    So if you see the error above when installing the Application Initialization feature then check if Shared Configuration is enabled.
    If yes, disable Shared Configuration, perform an IISReset, run the “Add-WindowsFeature Web-AppInit” command from PowerShell (or install it from the Server Manager)." -Reference.

Reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/spike/2013/11/19/installation-of-one-or-more-roles-role-services-or-features-failed-error-0x800f0922-when-installing-iis-8-0-application-initialization/

• Marked as answer by swalker1522 Monday, December 19, 2016 6:56 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 6:56 PM

All replies

• This one might help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2698555

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 19, 2016 2:17 PM
  • This did not resolve the issue. It just sends logs to Microsoft.
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:39 PM
  • It may be quicker to clean install it again.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 19, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Is there anything we can do before that..?
    Monday, December 19, 2016 3:15 PM
  • You can try;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or lastly a repair install. (same steps here)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

Monday, December 19, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Finally solved my issue after 3 days of fighting it! Ultimately, I have Shared Configuration setup in IIS and the

Installer did not have permissions to modify the applicationhost.config file.

"Some further testing showed that I (and customer) had Shared Configuration enabled on the machine.
    And, in short, the installer runs with an identity that normally do not have access to the share where the shared configuration applicationhost.config is located.
    And, equally short, the solution here was to disable Shared Configuration during the installation of the Application Initialization feature.
    So if you see the error above when installing the Application Initialization feature then check if Shared Configuration is enabled.
    If yes, disable Shared Configuration, perform an IISReset, run the “Add-WindowsFeature Web-AppInit” command from PowerShell (or install it from the Server Manager)." -Reference.

Reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/spike/2013/11/19/installation-of-one-or-more-roles-role-services-or-features-failed-error-0x800f0922-when-installing-iis-8-0-application-initialization/

• Marked as answer by swalker1522 Monday, December 19, 2016 6:56 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:24 AM