How to Diagnose a Memory Leak under Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Win7-x64 Pro SP1 w/4GB of RAM.  After I boot and the machine reaches steady-state, I have ~110 processes running and memory usage at 45-50%.  Tests have shown I can leave the laptop alone with nothing running but TaskMgr and within a 1/2 day, the memory usage will be over 75%.  Running IE10 and Outlook accelerates how quickly the memory usage goes up, even if the two apps are sitting "idle".  It has gotten bad enough that I now have to reboot more than once a day to regain the memory.

I'm looking for a program that will show me the memory allocation/deallocation requests and the Process ID that made the request.  UMDH sounded promising, but the Forum indicates that isn't usable with OS versions later than XP.  Is there any app available to take the place of UMDH or one that will capture the information I mentioned above?

Given I can watch the problem occur with nothing but TaskMgr running, common sense might point to the OS, but there are a LOT of non-OS processes running in the background.  I'm betting the problem may lie with Norton;  I have Internet Security and System Recovery 2013 (the replacement for Ghost, which Symantec just unceremoniously discontinued) and they have a lot of background processes going on.  However, that's just a guess; I want to capture the allocation/deallocation information before I point fingers in any particular direction.

--Ernie

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:04 AM

Answers

• Have you tried the built in resource  monitor?  Nirsoft has several   apps for tracking that,  http://www.nirsoft.net/

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:24 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:26 AM