none
Change Text From English to Another Language on a Pre Existing Schedule and Modify Later RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2016 MS Project schedule in place in English.  I want to translate file into another language and send file to them.  Also, translate for English to another language so I can .pdf the file.  I already went in Options, language, and enabled another language, set it as  default, but the text still reads in English.  If someone could help me today I would appreciate it.  Thanks!
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry to tell: Changing language in options will translate menu/ribbon in other language. This will not apply to the content. This is like in Word or Excel: you can change application language, but everything you have written will not be changed. Translation of content have to be done by you.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German) MVP

Friday, June 14, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Thanks Barbara!

I have used Google Translate that seems to work but there are a lot of steps, cutting and pasting that will be required, not sure I want to do that daily.

Do you have any suggestions to work a bilingual schedule?  Have one in English, 1 in another language?

Are there any patches or options you can add to make all this work?

Thanks

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

sorry, there are no options or settings to change language of content automatically. Can you not just use one common language for all schedules?

You could use an Enterprise Custom or a local text field to keep text in additional language. Depending on the language you want to use for PDF, you can replace column Task Name by your custom field with the appropriate language. This is the only solution I am aware of.

Sorry
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:39 AM
  • mtcp2,

Barbara's advice is best.  Nevertheless, if you absolutely MUST have the ability to do on-the-fly translation of project fields, then you might investigate a vba solution that ties into Google Translate or Microsoft Translate APIs.  It seems to have been done in the Excel world - search a bit.  If you could find some code that works in Excel vba, then converting to Project vba would certainly be doable.

Good luck, tom

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:42 PM
  • Barbara - 

The secondary language is Ukrainian.  Not everyone is fluent in English that reads the schedule, so they have to translate on their end.  Our intent is to use on common schedule but trying to accommodate both sides at the same time - if possible.

I am not familiar with Enterprise Custom.  Could you please explain how I would use this tool?

Thank you for your feedback and advice!

Jeff

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Thanks Tom!

I am a novice when it comes to advanced Excel and vba.  I did a Google search for a better explanation on to better use this tool.  If you have any tips - great.  I will continue to search and see how I can make this work for our project.

Thanks for your time!

Jeff

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:22 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

if you are using Project Online (I assume that, since you asked this question in Project Online forum):

PWA Settings - Enterprise Custom Fields and LookUp Tables.

Create a new field on task level.

After Restarting Project client, this field is available to be added to any task view and you can keep your translations in there.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:35 AM