Creating Virtual Desktop Collections - VM Template not getting listed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are evaluating VDI solution and I have done the initial setup.

Server VDI01 Configured as RD Virtualization Host. This machine is a physical machine (DL580).

Server VDICB1 Configured as connection broker. This machine is a VM running on Windows 2012 HyperV3 cluster.

Server VDIWA1 configured as RD Webaccess server. This machine is also a VM running on Windows 2012 Hyperv3 cluster.

I was referring the blog http://blog.itvce.com/?p=1569 and was successful till the template creation.

While I am trying to create a Virtual desktop collection, On Specify Virtual Desktop Template, I couldn't get the template listed out.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Shaba !

Shaba

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:39 PM

Answers

• It is a testing environment.I suggest you set up a new environment.Install DC on a standalone VM.Install other VDI components on all other vms to test whether the issue persists.If it still unresolved,pls kindly let me know.

regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Friday, November 16, 2012 3:30 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you ever install "Virtual Desktop Template" VM on RD Virtualization Host,proceed with Sysprep(Run sysprep with the /generalise /oobe /shutdown /mode:VM in powershell) and shut down the template virtual machine?

Make sure that template VM's state showed as Off in the Hyper-V manager on the RD Virtualization Host.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Hi Clarence,

Thanks for replying.

I have already installed a Windows 8 VM named VDI-Master-Win8, Syspreped with the switches you mentioned. Template VM is in shutdown state now.

Is there any log which I can check to understand the error.

Now in specify virtual desktop template page, I am not getting any error nor any specific event in the event log.

Thanks in advance.

Shaba

Shaba

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:45 AM
  • I don't think there would be any logs there. It is weird that no VM is showed in the box!If normal,all the VMs created in the hyper-V manager will appear.Is this virtualization host also a cluster node?What else have been installed on the virtualization host?What other vms are created on the virtualization host?

Pls try to reboot the machine to see whether it works.Sometimes after the installation,reboot may be needed.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Hi Clarence,

I too face the same issue, No VM's seen under (Specify Virtual Desktop template), tryied lot of things but no luck...

Hi Shabarinath,

Hope you have some kind of solution for this issue..

Regard,

Ajay

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Hi All,

Now i see the VM under (Specify Virtual Desktop template), earlier i had RDCB and RDWA installed on an different VM as Standard deployment.

What i did is had all the three roles on Hyper-V host and then the VM is visible now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ajay

• Proposed as answer by AjayFRW Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AjayFRW Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:09 AM
    • Proposed as answer by AjayFRW Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shabarinath Friday, November 9, 2012 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi All,

In case Standard deployment is used for VDI,for the roles to be available on different servers, then remove and add RDCB role once again.

I removed and added the role and the VM is visible when we have roles installed on different servers.

Regards,

Ajay

• Proposed as answer by AjayFRW Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:00 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Hi All,

Now i see the VM under (Specify Virtual Desktop template), earlier i had RDCB and RDWA installed on an different VM as Standard deployment.

What i did is had all the three roles on Hyper-V host and then the VM is visible now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ajay

Tried to have CA and WA on the same server, but no luck.

Shaba

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:16 AM
  • It is a testing environment.I suggest you set up a new environment.Install DC on a standalone VM.Install other VDI components on all other vms to test whether the issue persists.If it still unresolved,pls kindly let me know.

regards,

• Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Friday, November 16, 2012 3:30 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Clarence Zhang

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:30 AM
  • I have performed all the steps as mentioned above. The only difference is that I have configured VDI in Windows Server 2012 R2 and I am facing the same issue. A proper answer to resolve this issue would be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Arpit Trivedi

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:13 AM
  • I also am facing the exact same issue. Windows 2012 R2 server, also PDC with RDS installed. When creating the VD collection there is no template to choose from! Surely this is a bug?
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:22 AM
  • As I am facing exactly the same problem as the others here and no real answer was posted I suggest to leave the question open.

I have everything installed on one server with standard deployment, created a Win 7 template which is sysprepped on the same machine. No templates show in the list when trying to create a pool.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:55 PM
  • I have the same issue on a Server 2012 R2 too, i installed the RD roles on a VM and the RD V-Host role on the cluster nodes. Does anybody knows a solution, found no real answer here?

Does reinstalling the RD Connection Broker role solve the issue?

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Hi All,

In case Standard deployment is used for VDI,for the roles to be available on different servers, then remove and add RDCB role once again.

I removed and added the role and the VM is visible when we have roles installed on different servers.

Regards,

Ajay

Dear Ajay,

Do you mean to uninstall all roles on each server, and then to re-install the roles on them all over again?

Thanks,

Leon Li

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:28 AM
  • you cannot select generation 2 virtual machines for VDI, only generation 1 !

Test Lab Guide: Managed Pooled Virtual Desktop Collections

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:54 AM
  • You are incorrect on that.  "you cannot select generation 2 virtual machines for VDI, only generation 1 !"

I am facing a similar issue (the desktop template not showing in 2012 R2).   My issue is that I have a win7 (set as gen1) and a Win8 setup with Gen2.   First time I ran the wizard, I saw both machines.   I wanted to change something, canceled the wizard.  Made my change to the Windows 7 machine, and started the wizard again.    Now it only shows the WIndows 8 machine (gen2) and not the Windows 7 machine.

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:52 PM
  • This Post is a bit old but i got the same issue...

It worked once but now it doesnt

3 Virtual Host Server

2 VMs Server with RDS HA

1 VM Server With RD Licens

I dont see any templates....

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:43 PM
  • I have the similar issue, i see old templates, but not a newly created and sysprepped Windows 8.1 vm.

Removed rdVH from Server Manager, from deployment, redeployed rdVH, still no new template appear.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:55 AM