none
Mapped drives showing disconnect after Feature 1809 update

Question

• Testing the new 1809 update, and everything seems to be fine except all mapped drives to Windows 2012 file servers show disconnected (red x) after reboots or logoff/on.  Everything is fine if user opens the mapped drive.  This causes problems when user opens a file located in map drive A but links to another file in mapped drive B.  Anyone running into the same issue?

Windows 2012 R2 File server

Windows 10 Pro

Test units and file server are on the same subnet.

Thanks in advance.

Roget Luo

Friday, October 5, 2018 7:13 PM

All replies

• We're seeing the same thing. Users are scared of the red X and have been calling all day.
    Friday, October 5, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Luckily, I blocked 1809 from most computers so no calls so far.  

Found a post by Enable group policy: Computer Configuration - Admin Templates - System - Logon - Always wait for the network at startup and login.  Test it and it didn't fix the issue.  

Roget Luo

Friday, October 5, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Hi

To fix the issue open command prompt as administrator then type

Gpupdate /force  (hit enter key and try gpupdate twice then restart your computer)

Momominta

Friday, October 5, 2018 9:51 PM
  • @momominta, don't believe issue is GP related.  Test it out just in case, and no, it didn't fix the problem.

Roget Luo

Friday, October 5, 2018 9:58 PM
  • @momominta, don't believe issue is GP related.  Test it out just in case, and no, it didn't fix the problem.

Roget Luo

How to mount a network drive for Active Directory Server users

Momominta

Friday, October 5, 2018 10:10 PM
  • Mapping the network drives is not the issue.  Mapped drives been working just fine until the recent Windows 10 1809 Feature update.  

Roget Luo

Friday, October 5, 2018 10:31 PM
  • Mapping the network drives is not the issue.  Mapped drives been working just fine until the recent Windows 10 1809 Feature update.  

Roget Luo

Hi

Try remapping to see if that works.

Momominta

Friday, October 5, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

I had same issue and I tried this :

In your GPO try to replace the action on the faulty network drive.

In my case, I was using the action "Update", I changed it for "Replace" and it works.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Quentin BUREAU Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:03 AM
  • Hello,

we had the same Problem.

Today i fixed it.

I set the Drivemappings to replace, we had also the setting refresh.

Then I set that this policy doesnt refresh in background, so you can avoid the problem with the disconnecting network folders when the user is logged in.

Here is a description for the gpo setting:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Group Policy/Configure Drive Maps preference extension policy processing Enabled: Allow processing across a slow network connection: Enabled Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed: Disabled Background priority: Idle

Sorry for my english!

Greetings Michael

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 1:55 PM
  • We are seeing the same issue after this update - we have a 2012 Std file server and all network drives show as disconnected after a logoff or restart.  No changes were made to the GPO that maps the drives - disconnecting the drives and running gpupdate /force has not effect either.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Tried the suggestions above, however, result is still hit and miss.  For few test machines, I had to do manual gpupdate /force then the mapped drives show up normal after a reboot.  But couple of machines continue to show the mapped drives disconnected after reboot.  

Also, we have multiple mapping GPOs to the same file server.  Strangely, couple of them are not affected.  They show up just fine even without change the mapping from Update to Replace.  Can't find anything different between the working and non-working GPOs.  

Roget Luo

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Hi Roget

Could you check those working and non-working GPOs if they are mapping like

\\serverIPAddress\sharedfolder Or \\servername\sharedfolder ? The first one always works and the second one has an issue maybe it is a bug. Take a look at them and let's us know about the result.

Momominta

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:32 PM
  • Hi Momominta,

All mapping GPOs using servername, changed one of them to IP and didn't fix the problem.  Same issue, log on/off or restart will caused most mapped drives come back with red X.  Have to either run GPUpdate or manually click on each drive.  Very frustrating!!

Roget Luo

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:37 PM
  • It also can be

\\clientIPAddress\sharedfolder Or \\clientnetbiosname\sharedfolder

Momominta

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:40 PM
  • Hi Momominta,

All mapping GPOs using servername, changed one of them to IP and didn't fix the problem.  Same issue, log on/off or restart will caused most mapped drives come back with red X.  Have to either run GPUpdate or manually click on each drive.  Very frustrating!!

Roget Luo

Then it is a bug. Have you sent a message about your issue through feedback hub? If no you should do it.

Momominta

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:43 PM
  • I even tried not using the shared folder's name, and instead map using every directory level, still doesn't make any difference.

Roget Luo

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:45 PM
  • I even tried not using the shared folder's name, and instead map using every directory level, still doesn't make any difference.

Roget Luo

I found this link take look at it,

Momominta

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:04 PM
  • This "mapped drive Red X" issue has been confirmed as a know issue by Microsoft, please wait for update

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:38 AM
  • If possible, go into Recovery and restore back to previous version of Windows.  It worked on most of my test machines.  However, I think Microsoft only gives you # of days to perform this procedure, once past the # of days, this option is no longer available.

Roget Luo

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:25 PM
  • This "mapped drive Red X" issue has been confirmed as a know issue by Microsoft, please wait for update

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Good to know. Can you provide a good place to track the progress and/or release for this specific issue and the update?
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:34 PM
  • An expedited fix would be nice here. We have 3D modeling workstations in our environment that access shared resources on a network drive. If they start working on a project in AutoCAD before double clicking the shared drive in Explorer it prevents their changes from being pushed to the fileshare. When they do reconnect and they've made changes that try to replicate to the shared drive it corrupts the content library because of the inconsistencies.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Is the update planned for redistribution of 1809?
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:08 PM
  • I have all the updates applied from Patch Tuesday and still have the issue on 3 of my test machines.  I am saying it's still not fixed.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:32 PM
  • Hello

See this article

Mapped network drives don't work in Windows 10, version 1809

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:54 PM
  • I used "Workaround 1" and set MapDrives.cmd and MapDrives.ps1 in the appropriate 2 locations. After logon this does map the drives to where they are connected and do not have the red X, but that process does take a few seconds.  Before the .ps1 completes the end user has already received the popup about "Could not reconnect all network drives".  A workaround at best.  At least the end user doesn't have to click on the drives one by one to get them to map.  
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:09 PM
  • Hi Momominta,

I tried remapping the drives on one of the machines with the 1809 update and made sure that "Reconnect at sign-in" was checked.  They were connected but rebooting the machine and signing back in caused them to disconnect.  It's simple to click on them to reconnect but requires user training.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Hi Guys,

>They were connected but rebooting the machine and signing back in caused them to disconnect.

net use t: \\networkshare /USER:domain\username password /PERSISTENT:NO

you can copy/paste the above line into a batch file and replace the network share name and domain\username and password. that should do the trick

try it.

Momominta

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

In my case, I was using the action "Update", I changed it for "Replace" and it works.

Regards.

The problem with this is that every 90 minutes every opened folder and some files from that drive get closed as the network drive is replaced, because the GPO gets applied again, so this is not a good solution.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:26 AM
  • 2018-11 CU  says it fixes the mapped drive issue for 1809...

December 5, 2018—KB4469342 (OS Build 17763.168)
    Addresses an issue that may cause mapped drives to fail to reconnect after starting and logging onto a Windows device.

• Proposed as answer by matt.grant Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:45 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:45 PM
  • @momomintayou have no clue at all do you... no answer is better than this crap answer....
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Regards.

The problem with this is that every 90 minutes every opened folder and some files from that drive get closed as the network drive is replaced, because the GPO gets applied again, so this is not a good solution.

THIS! exactly why you don't use Replace and we use Update and how using Replace is NOT A VALID WORKAROUND.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:51 PM