none
How to enable Window 10 encrypt function URGENT RRS feed

• Question

• Checked NtfsDisableEncryption named registry DWORD (REG_DWORD) with value already "0" but still encrypt function is greyed out, why and how to solve?
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:23 AM

All replies

• Checked NtfsDisableEncryption named registry DWORD (REG_DWORD) with value already "0" but still encrypt function is greyed out, why and how to solve?

Only Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise versions have the built-in file and folder encryption.

Sounds like yours is a Home version.

If that is the case, you will need a 3rd party program to do the job.

I have never done any file/folder encryption. So, I will not offer 3rd party file encryption recommendation.
    Sorry.

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:56 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Hello,

This encryption feature works best on Pro and Enterprise editions only. You can upgrade your Home edition to Pro, in order to unlock the greyed out option.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:56 AM

Only Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise versions have the built-in file and folder encryption.

Sounds like yours is a Home version.

If that is the case, you will need a 3rd party program to do the job.

I have never done any file/folder encryption. So, I will not offer 3rd party file encryption recommendation.
    Sorry.

Adding.............

I have 2 laptops.

One is running Win 10 Pro. On this one, the box "Encrypt contents to secure data" is clickable.

Another one is running Win 10 Home. On this one, the option is grayed out, like you mentioned.

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:27 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 5:15 PM
  • Hi C001,

Just as recommended above, file / device encryption requires device support of a TPM 2.0 chipset. A 3rd party app would be required for file encryption in your situation as well since EFS is not supported in Windows 10 Home.

Also you could choose upgrade your system.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:29 AM