Copying Templates between VMM Instances RRS feed

• Question

• my team is responsible for maintaing a standard set of VM templates. These templates are build and tested in a lab environment. Is there a way to export a template and then copy into another VMM instance?
    • Moved by Santosh Karale Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:13 PM Moving to Virtual Machine Manager- General (From:SCVMM SSP 2.0)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:40 PM

Answers

• Import/Export of Templates are not supported in VMM 2008.  In VMM 2012 (now in beta) this is supported.  In VMM 2012 we have also changed the relationship templates share with library servers.  Today in VMM 2008 Templates are tied to a specific library server and if you remove it you will lose the templates.  Logically, there is no reason for this so in VMM 2012 Templates are no longer tied to a particular library server so removal of library servers does not impact their existence.
    Carmen M. Summers (MSFT) --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 9:09 PM

All replies

• What types of files are indexed in the VMM library?

During library refreshes, the following types of files are added to available resources in Library view: virtual hard disks (unless attached to a stored virtual machine), virtual floppy disks, ISO images, answer files, and PowerShell scripts.

A library refresh also indexes, but does not display, all files associated with stored virtual machines, including the virtual machine configuration file, attached virtual hard disks, saved state files, imported snapshots, checkpoints, and the files associated with virtual machine templates. In the navigation pane of Library view, stored virtual machines and templates are displayed in the VMs and Templates node for the library server that stores the files that are associated with them. You can view snapshots and checkpoints for a virtual machine on the Checkpoints tab in the virtual machine properties.

For a complete listing of indexed file types, see File Types That Are Indexed During a Library Refresh.

Can I transfer files from one library server to another?

You can move the files by copying them to a library share on another library server. During the next library refresh, VMM will refresh the metadata in the VMM database.

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:15 PM
  • This is supposed to be a new feature os SCVMM 2012, but I do not recall that it is a feature of the current product.

In the VMM world a Template is an association of settings and physical artifacts.  The settings only exist in the SCVMM database, the physical artifacts exist in the Library share.

If you copy the artifacts to a different SCVMM Library share managed by a difference instance of SCVMM Server - when the new SCVMM server does a Library refresh the artifacts will be given new GUID identifiers and they will not be associated withteh same templates as before.

This is super troublesome if you are using VS Lab Manager as it also has meta information at the TFS level that is tied to the Template GUIDs.  So in that case, trying to move the artifacts breaks the entire world and you need to set it all back up again.

If you want to duplicate a SCVMM server, then you need to copy the database and install your new SCVMM Server instance using an existing database.  And copy the SCVMM Library share contents (folder tree intact).

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Import/Export of Templates are not supported in VMM 2008.  In VMM 2012 (now in beta) this is supported.  In VMM 2012 we have also changed the relationship templates share with library servers.  Today in VMM 2008 Templates are tied to a specific library server and if you remove it you will lose the templates.  Logically, there is no reason for this so in VMM 2012 Templates are no longer tied to a particular library server so removal of library servers does not impact their existence.
    Carmen M. Summers (MSFT) --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Carmen,

That is good information but is there a way to pull the actual template files and put them on another VMM library share? Would that work?

- Will

Will Smothers
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Also Important, how do you backup and restore these templates?

What if the Harddrive is offline when the library refresh occurs, this happened to me and now me 15 or so customized templates are gone and I have to recreate them.  This seems like a serious issue with the current product.

My Library share is back up, the files are there, the templates are nowhere to be found.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:57 PM