KB947172 causes crashes in MCE when deleting videos RRS feed

• Question

• The title pretty much says it all.  After installing this update, if I try to delete a recorded video within Media Center, the app hangs.  After this happens, if I try to look in the event logs I find that the event log service has crashed too.  Uninstalling KB947172 fixed the problem for me.  Because of the logging crash I'm worried that Microsoft is not being notified of this bug and they should be made aware of it.  Has anyone else seen this?

By the way, I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 on the following hardware:
    Intel dg965wh motherboard
    Core 2 duo E6400
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:17 PM

All replies

• This update didn't seem to install for me with Windows Update.  The status of this is "failed".  Three other updates "failed" as well:  'KB937287, KB943055, KB943302

I was able to install KB937287 manually via the stand-alone installer.  The status still says "failed" in Windows Update, however.

This isn't making me feel very confident about the upcoming SP1 ordeal/installation.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:58 AM
  • I successfully installed the standalone updates although I remember that after installing KB946041 first, I couldn't install the others until I rebooted.  You might want to reboot and try again.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:38 PM
  • I remember rebooting after manually installing KB937287, even though the standalone installation didn't ask me to reboot (go figure).  And still, the update didn't appear in the list of installed updates (within Windows Update).  Now, on February 14th, I do indeed notice at the very top of the list the KB937287 update.  Strangely enough, the following 5 updates in the list are also for KB937287, with a successful status.

So, it would appear that Vista is just taking it's time on actually listing some "successful" updates.  This leads me to believe that Windows Update is still a bit buggy.  Updates should go smoother than this, and I would have thought that Microsoft would have had this running a bit better than it is.

I'm also seeing today that there are 6 optional updates for items and drivers that I've already installed ... ages ago.  The Windows Live Sign-in Assistant, for example: published on 5/11/2007 .... say what!?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:42 PM
  • kb947172 crashed my windows media player 11 which is part of Vista. Uninstalling the update kb947172 allowed the media player to work once again. 2 hours to figure this out. Four days to install files and programs from my old machine to Vista machine when I bought it many months ago. whew!!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:56 AM