Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 Scrolling + Extra Buttons don't work in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I know I am not the only one with this problem as I have found others with the same problem by searching the internet, but no solution.   I will start by giving my Hardware Specs:

Dell Inspiron 9400

Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

Dell TrueMobile 355 + EDR Bluetooth Adaptor

Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000

The problem is when I connect my mouse using the internal bluetooth adaptor it initially works fine, but after I reboot the computer I lose the functionality of the scroll wheel and the extra side buttons.   Now if I disable the bluetooth adaptor and re-enable it the mouse will work again (most of the time).   Sometimes I need to go into the bluetooth options disconnect the mouse, disable the adaptor, reboot, re-enable the bluetooth adaptor, and then go through the detection and connection procedure all over again.   As you can imagine that is a real pain.   Now I know I can use the supplied adaptor that came with the mouse, but that is also a pain and I would like to keep that connected to my desktop at work so I can use the mouse on both my laptop and work desktop.   I have tried using the Intellipoint Software (versions 6.0 - 6.2) and there was no change there.  I tried downloading the "Reliability Update for USB Stack in Windows Vista" (KB925528) and it said it didn't apply to my system.  A couple of the search results that I found said something about the incorrect driver being installed and listed information that may help fix it permanently but none of those worked either.   Here is a link to a site that listed such information:

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2007/03/13/laser-mouse-8000-vs-vista-eureka/

Lastly I want to add that I have a couple co-workers that have the same mouse on different laptops (one is a toshiba and one is a HP) all running 32bit Vista and different internal BlueTooth adaptors that have the same problem.   The sad part is they come to me for help because that is my job.  I am the tech support person and this problem has been driving us nuts for almost a year.   Dell has not released any updated drivers for their BlueTooth card, but I tried updated drivers for the other brand laptops the problem still persists.   I have searched my fingers to the bone and I cannot find a solution other than to go through the painful steps above or use the supplied adaptor.   But I feel the reason we have the internal Bluetooth is so we don't need the external adaptors sticking out of the back of our laptops.   Please help me!!!

Thank You.

Bob

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

I'd like to confim whether the  wheel button has been assigned to "Auto scroll".

If not, please check the setting and assign it to "Auto scroll".

Also, the following article maybe helpful for you:

KB838398    The Microsoft wireless keyboard or wireless mouse does not respond as expected
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838398

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, March 3, 2008 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

I'd like to suggest you contact with the bluetooth adapter manufactory to check whether it is compatible with Windows Vista, if it is, try to install the latest driver.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:14 AM
  •  

Well the computer came with Windows Vista Pre-installed and it has the only driver dell has put out which was over a year ago.   It is labled as a Dell TrueMobile Bluetooth adaptor and I have no other driver to try.  If the Dell TrueMobile adaptor is made by some other manufacturer I am unable to determine that.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Due to security reason, by default, Windows Vista is not allowing bluetooth devices to connect to your PC/Notebook. You can change this behavior by do following steps:

1. Open Bluetooth Device dialog
    2. Open Option tabs
    3. Check Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer check box
    4. To get notice every time when there is untrusted device that want to connect to your PC/Notebook, check also Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect check box

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:00 AM
  •  Eric Zhang - MSFT wrote:
    Hi Bob,

Due to security reason, by default, Windows Vista is not allowing bluetooth devices to connect to your PC/Notebook. You can change this behavior by do following steps:

1. Open Bluetooth Device dialog
    2. Open Option tabs
    3. Check Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer check box
    4. To get notice every time when there is untrusted device that want to connect to your PC/Notebook, check also Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect check box

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

I checked those settings and those options are checked.   The mouse connects to the laptop just fine and I can use the right and left buttons with no problems.   It is just the scroll wheel and the side buttons that do not work unless I go into Device Manager and disable the BlueTooth adaptor and then re-enable it.     I almost want to blame the adaptor but I cannot find any other driver other than the one that Dell released over a year ago.    If anyone knows of a Driver that will work with the Dell TrueMobile 355 + EDR Bluetooth module then I am opent to suggestions but my searches have come up empty.

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I'd like to confim whether the  wheel button has been assigned to "Auto scroll".

If not, please check the setting and assign it to "Auto scroll".

Also, the following article maybe helpful for you:

KB838398    The Microsoft wireless keyboard or wireless mouse does not respond as expected
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838398

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 3, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:16 AM
  •  

Unfortunately my issue is not resolved.  For the time being I am just disabling my bluetooth adaptor and re-enabling it and that gives me the functionality back until I reboot at least.   All of the suggestions above (all are appreciated) were either already set or did not change.   I have tried all versions of the Microsoft Intellipoint Software and I would like to blame it on the bluetooth adaptor itself, but I know of a couple co-workers with other brand laptops (one is an HP and one is a Toshiba) that all have the same problem.    There are no newer drivers for the Dell 355 Bluetooth adaptor from Dell and if it is made by another manufacturer I am unable to determine that.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 12:44 AM
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!  I finally found a working solution to the annoying problem!

Do as I describe below and you will have no more problems with the scrolling (that probably goes for all software - but I've tried Picasa and winamp). Please write a post and confirm if it works for you!

FIRST! - uninstall any versions of Intellipoint (you kan keep Intellitype if you want to)

1. Download Intellipoint 6.2 (do N O T install it) http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx
    2. Use winzip to extract all files from the installer package - I suggest you extract to the desktop (keeping the file structure)
    3. Go to device manager
    4. Go to mice and pointing devices
    5. Delete all mice AND their drivers, do a scan for new hardware or restart the computer (this step is only necessary if the method described below doesn't work - so only try it on your 2nd try)
    6. If you have more than one mouse in the device manager (which is the case if you've bought the Wireless entertainment desktop 8000-set) verify which mouse that is the one to update by trying to disable the others one at a time (the 2nd mouse is touchpad in the keyboard)
    7. Update the drivers for the mouse manually (by specifyfing the path to the drivers in the extracted package - eg. DESKTOP\IP32Eng6.20.182.0\ipoint\setup\files\ - use the "have disk-method")
    8. Vista will probably not complain about the driver since it is signed and certified. But if Vista does - install anyway.
    9. Verify that your mouse driver version is at least 6.20.178.0
    10. Use your scroll wheel like any normal mouse!  Smile
    11. Write a post here about your success.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 8:02 AM
  •  

I would also like to weigh in on this thread. I just bought this Wireless Laser Mouse 8000, and it flat out doesn't work at all. It isn't being detected by my internal bluetooth stack.

I am using a brand new Lenovo Tablet Thinkpad X61 with Windows Vista Ultimate on it (32 bit version). I've been searching around the Internet looking for answers, and all I've found so far are more people complaining about the same problem. Bob mentions Dell, Toshiba, and HP not working, but that's not the end of the list. This mouse also isn't working with my Lenovo, and I'm seeing people with Fujitsu laptops also complaining that they can't detect the mouse at all. As far as I can tell, there are almost no internal laptop stacks that completely work with this mouse out of the box. Does anyone at Microsoft have an explanation for this?

Note: Mouse batteries are charged, and the mouse is switched on.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:42 PM
  •  

I agree that I have not come across any laptops with internal bluetooth that work with this mouse 100%.   I have called Microsoft support and was pretty much told to use the adaptor that came with the mouse and they could not help further.   To me that kind of defeats the purpose of having built in bluetooth.   When you using a laptop you don't want to have unneccessary things sticking out and wasting your USB ports if you don't have to.

I have not yet tried the suggestions made by Mannekung but I plan to.   I also have not tried using the same laptop with XP.    My laptop recognizes the mouse I just lose some of the other functions like scroll and the side buttons.   So what I have been doing is after my laptop is booted I go into device manager, disable the internal bluetooth adaptor, then re-enable it.  Then the mouse fully works until the next reboot.   Its a pain but it is still better than having to insert the USB bluetooth adaptor.   Also I use the USB adaptor for my Desktop computer so I can use the same mouse.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:08 AM
  •  

By the way, since that post about the scroll wheel was not in any way helpful, can that be unmarked as the answer? It does not answer any of the questions in this thread.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:55 PM