Frontfront client security with GPO and massive crash!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, Im desperatly seeking advice on this one. We have a FCS server in place at our organisation and was install long ago by someone who has since left. I want to build a new server with new version of endpoint on it to replace old server but unfortunately I cannot run the console on old server so cant see any policys or settings. The problem is that i believe the FCS is deployed by GPO but there are no settings visable in GPMC and no refrence to FCS at all so can not find where how the client is being deployed. The only info I can give is that when I move a PC into desktops OU the forefront client appears, with no access to the forefront console how do I manage/remove this auto install and product as a whole for replacement by endpoint. By the way the old server is so messed up that I can not remove or add any software, patches or updates its well and truely fubarred.

please please give me some direction and assistance in this one.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for your post.

I cannot run the console on old server so can't see any policies or settings.
    Generally, server admin/domain admin account could access FCS console. If you cannot open FCS console, please check the account permission or run FCS BPA on your server.

The problem is that I believe the FCS is deployed by GPO but there are no settings visible in GPMC.
    On your FCS clients, run RSOP.msc command, click computer configuration--Administrative Templates--Extra Registry Settings, you will see several entries about FCS with GPO Name. Find the GPO Name in GPMC GPO list.

I want to build a new server with new version of endpoint on it to replace old server.
    Please follow the migration guide from FCS to FEP. When you deploy the FEP client software, the FEP client software uninstalls the FCS client software for you.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:06 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:04 AM