Two Control Panel icons on Desktop Toolbar RRS feed

• Question

• If I turn on the Desktop Toolbar in Windows 7, it shows up but has two icons for the Control Panel.  Both do the same thing; they open the control panel.  I can get one to go away, but it always comes back.  The other cannot be removed.  If I right-click on the icon and select Delete or shift-Delete, it asks if I am sure, but when I click Yes, nothing happens.  If I go into Personalize, the checkbox for Control Panel is UNchecked.  If I check it, Apply, OK, exit, go back in, uncheck and Apply, etc., nothing happens; the icons remain.  Is there any way to get this to go away?

Because of where I work, I am on an RTM version of Windows 7.  I have found forum postings indicating that this issue has been around since Beta, but have not found a fix for it.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it's easy, you must delete a Regkey.

Create a File "delCPIcon.reg" with:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}]

Execute that File, close "Desktop Toolbar" and open it new, done.

For more "Desktop Toolbar" Tweaks, look at: Tweaks

Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• I see 2 icons in my desktop toolbar, however one is a menu of the Control Panel (screenshot cp icon1), and the other is just a shortcut to it (screenshot cp icon2). It looks perfectly normal to me...

Is one of your icons a menu (has the right pointing triangle next to it indicating it is a menu)?

Screenshots:
    (edit: updated link) http://cid-7ef032c786c67649.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Windows%207%20quirks/2%20Control%20Panel%20Icons%20in%20desktop%20toolbar

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 9, 2009 4:56 PM wrong link
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

It is a default setting as one Control Panel icon can help open Control Panel in Start menu and the other can help us open individual feature in Control Panel. Both icons cannot be deleted (they will reoccur after deleting).

Since some customers would like to delete one or both of them, this is reported as a bug to develop group.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:39 AM
  • One goes to all control panel items and the other seems to be an assortment of commonly used control panel items?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:11 AM
  • Neither of the icons is a menu.  However, I seem to have managed to get one of them to go away and stay away.  The one I got rid of simply opened the full Control Panel, as does the remaining one.

I understand having the Control Panel icon show up in the Start menu, but why does it show up on the Desktop Toolbar if it's turned off for the desktop?  Any ETA on when this bug might have a fix?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:55 PM
  • For the different of the 2 Control Panel icon, please see the screenshot provided by JoelbX:

http://ejal6a.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pPXqBC2-Q5CwpcS4qb-7DgyKhBiC1j4_prbIXzaTwPZ0-W-286ZN0H8Yjpp6TpbUBAAGfw4-ErQM5nqevzFBmjA/cp%20icon2.png

http://ejal6a.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pO3V28do8gI0fTBI86AfppX2CmJ4i6lrWXweCsBoHV5SOId5c6VMhcUuLOQ-t-g0D_aJ32zy4lIzNNiD2IomvfA/cp%20icon1.png

For the fix, I cannot provide an exact time as it depends on development group. If a fix is published, we will provide notification for it.
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ShadowKatmandu Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:28 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:08 AM
  • I am now down to just one Control Panel icon on my Desktop toolbar that will not go away.  It does not pop out a menu and the other icon I had trouble getting rid of did not either.  This may be because I did not have the toolbar shortened to force a menu of its items.  In any case, both icons simply opened the Control Panel.  This is what the remaining icon does.

This issue, based on what I have seen in forums, has been going on since the beta (pre-RC1).  Has there been no word from development about a fix?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}]

Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

You, sir, are a genius!

Your solution was simple, easy to execute, and resolved my problem immediately!

Thank you.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I must admit this confuses me. Could you please be a bit more explicit on how to perform this fix? My Windows 7 Registry editor is version 6.1. I have the -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}] key but I am not sure how to Create a File "delCPIcon.reg" and then execute it unless I "create a new key" and override the old value. Any further help will be appreciated as two control panel icons are totally unnecessary. I thought for sure it would be fixed with the official release and was amazed that the problem was still there. So far, my experience with Windows 7 has not been good. Yesterday my control panel icons changed into something I have never seen. My recycle bin icon changed to a Laptop icon and there were a few others that went haywire. I had done absolutely nothing to cause this. After deleting my icon cache, I was ok except fot the two control panel icons. They look like some folder with upside down writing. Anyway, I would like to get rid of one of the CP icons for good if possible.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I must admit this confuses me. Could you please be a bit more explicit on how to perform this fix? My Windows 7 Registry editor is version 6.1. I have the -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}] key but I am not sure how to Create a File "delCPIcon.reg" and then execute it unless I "create a new key" and override the old value. Any further help will be appreciated as two control panel icons are totally unnecessary. I thought for sure it would be fixed with the official release and was amazed that the problem was still there. So far, my experience with Windows 7 has not been good. Yesterday my control panel icons changed into something I have never seen. My recycle bin icon changed to a Laptop icon and there were a few others that went haywire. I had done absolutely nothing to cause this. After deleting my icon cache, I was ok except fot the two control panel icons. They look like some folder with upside down writing. Anyway, I would like to get rid of one of the CP icons for good if possible.

You are looking too deeply for a solution.

First, go to control pannel and change the way that your folders display info.  You need to REMOVE the check mark from "hide known extensions"

that was your challenge

If you followed the information provided, you likely created a txt file, copied the info in, renamed it .reg and.. it didn't work for you.

In your case, the reg file was actually .reg.txt   but you couldn't see the .txt extension.

Try that, as the solution listed is dead on right for removing the second appearance of control pannel in teh desktop toolbar

Problem resolved!

Monday, November 9, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this, but I kinda gave up on it.  I now have Win 7 Home Premium at home and have encountered the same issue.  I applied the above fix, and it removed one of the Control Panel icons, but the other remains and refuses to be deleted.  Has there been any progress on this?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:32 AM
  • It's been several months and still no answer.  This is marked as answered, but it is not.  I still have a Control Panel icon on my desktop.  I do not want it there.  It is turned off in Personalization > Change Desktop Icons.  The registry key listed above in several posts has been deleted.  I still have the icon.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Deleting the registry key does work, but the side effect is the control panel will no longer appear on your desktop, either by personalizing the desktop icons or right-clicking on control panel on the start menu (which I believe both do the same thing). With the registry entry gone, the check box is essentially disabled. If you create a conventional shortcut from control panel to your desktop, then it reappears on the desktop toolbar.
    • Proposed as answer by Legal Counsel Friday, March 18, 2011 6:20 AM
    • Edited by Legal Counsel Friday, March 18, 2011 6:28 AM Correction
    Friday, March 18, 2011 6:19 AM
  • i just went to regedit worked my way to the key above and deleted it mo more duel control panels
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:44 PM
  • just delete that key it worked for me with no side effects

• Proposed as answer by Revenge269 Sunday, August 2, 2015 11:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Revenge269 Sunday, August 2, 2015 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Not to beat a dead horse but since this is the first hit on search engines when trying to find an answer to this problem, I thought I'd add that I have had this problem on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. It's the exact same problem on all of the platforms and this fix works for all 3 but as stated above by Legal Counsel, it does remove the ability to turn it back on later. None-the-less, here we are SIX YEARS LATER after the problem has been reported and 4 versions of the O/S later and the problem still exists. Just thought I'd add my $0.02.
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 11:17 PM
  • @ Revenge269
    Walking around a dead horse doesnt solve any problems either. I like your input and applaud your common sensibility. It apparently isnt common in making of an operating system at least for MS. Yes it works MS, but its the little things that count.
      Ive got this classic Jaguar XJ, a really nice car, got a great deal on it and it serves my transportation purposes with comfort. Except for one thing, there's a 20 penny framing nail sticking up in the drivers seat that seems to be welded to the frame of the seat. It pokes you right in the... I hear theyve been trying to fix the problem on all their cars for years. :p
    Like to buy a car? 
    (sorry Jaguar <3 u)

• Edited by E_J_ Monday, October 5, 2015 7:11 PM Because I can.
    Monday, October 5, 2015 7:08 PM
  •       Thanks, its fixed. Has been bugging me for months couldn't find a solution.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:12 PM
  •               Did as you suggested it worked, they are back again less than 5 mins later.   
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:37 PM
  • Not to beat a dead horse but since this is the first hit on search engines when trying to find an answer to this problem, I thought I'd add that I have had this problem on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. It's the exact same problem on all of the platforms and this fix works for all 3 but as stated above by Legal Counsel, it does remove the ability to turn it back on later. None-the-less, here we are SIX YEARS LATER after the problem has been reported and 4 versions of the O/S later and the problem still exists. Just thought I'd add my $0.02.

I'd like to raise the total to 4 cents.

How does one report an issue and such issue occur for years... and still be existing. There's probably two condition statements to add into a code file somewhere, and this would be fixed. Dead easy. Nothing to it.

Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:44 PM

• Something this expensive shouldnt be so slow.

Friday, March 15, 2019 5:49 PM
  • I periodically have looked for a fix for this since around 2008ish. I'm just an end user and not confident about editing a registry thing. Come on Windows dudes, get an update done please :)

Something this expensive shouldnt be so slow.

Friday, March 15, 2019 5:53 PM