none
Access denied viewing Project Details in PWA (2010) RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Stig,

I don't want to frustate you. But "Open Project" will not be sufficient. I was fine to give that permission, since it is not possible to change anything. But as mentioned in another post, in addition you need to give "New Project" or allow to edit project summary. That's something I really don't like?

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Stig Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

seems that is popping up now more recently. Sleekstone has just started a discussion regarding that at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/7640e8f4-4234-4e0b-80c9-218db519acd7.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

thanks for the quick answer. It does indeed seem like this is a quite common issue.

I can only agree with what the others have written. In addition I would add that it is important for a team member to be able to see the details of all the project tasks for the projects where they are involved. This since they might have to work on tasks that depends on the work on other resources on other tasks. In this way they can also see whether these tasks are progressing as planned and thereby gives the team members a view of the whole progress without having to consult the project manager every time they need to know.

For now we will try this out by setting the 'Open Project' right. If that is enough and they cannot save changes it should resolve the issue.

Regards,

Stig

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Hi Stig,

I don't want to frustate you. But "Open Project" will not be sufficient. I was fine to give that permission, since it is not possible to change anything. But as mentioned in another post, in addition you need to give "New Project" or allow to edit project summary. That's something I really don't like?

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Stig Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

I agree that having to have 'New Project' is both illogical and not really something you want for (most) team members.

As the 'New Project' was set by default during installation we did manage to get the functionality working as we wanted to. For now the benefit of being able to see the project details are greater for us than the issues we get with 'New Project' so we will leave it as is for now.

But we certainly look forward to being able to switch off 'New Project' in the global permissions.

PS! Gary referred to having this all logged on conect.microsoft.com but when I went there I could not find project server (or anything similar) in the product directory. Would be nice to see what is logged there so maybe you can tip me on how to get to that.

Thanks and regards,

Stig

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Hi Stig,

I have also no access to connect regarding Project Server. So I can't help you on that.
    If you have a premier support contract, you could open a call and try to convince MS this being a bug? ;-)

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:51 AM
  • Thanks, Barbara.

I see. If it turns out to be really an issue for us we will use our Gold Partner contract to log it.

Regards, Stig

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Hi Stig,

I found a hotfix released in December: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459112:
    Consider the following scenario:

• You are a team member of a project in Project Server 2010.
    • You only have permissions to view projects in PWA.
    • You drill into the project.

In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
    An unexpected error has occurred.

This should help. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to test so far.

Regards
    Barbara

Addition: On December 31st 2010, CU December announced at http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/12/15/microsoft-project-server-and-sharepoint-2007-and-2010-december-cu-2010-are-mostly-live.aspx was released. It does include the mentioned hotfix.

Friday, December 31, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Thanks, Barbara. This seems indeed to be very like the issue we had. We will test as soon as we have the chance.
    Regards, Stig
    Friday, December 31, 2010 11:03 AM