Email policies - Recommendations and are they dynamic? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an Exchange 2007 environment which currently has a single accepted domain and a single email address policy corresponding to the company. We have purchased a new domain name for a specific function and would like a few of our existing users to now have this new domain name as their secondary smtp address.

I was wondering if this was dynamic or if I would have to run it each and every time I had a new user request the new domain name...

For example:

User A and User B, currently already exist in the system with a primary smtp of @company.com

I then add the new domain and email address policy into Exchange (Using a custom attribute as filter).

I then edit User A and User B to have the matching custom attribute...

At this point do I need to apply the Email Address Policy for them to get their new domain secondary address?

Also I create a user via AD then create their mailbox, I cannot expose the custom attributes in the GUI until after the account has created, so in this instance will I have to run it again then too?!

I guess the final question is, if at a later stage, I remove the attributes from the user accounts, do I have to apply the original policy to take the new address away?

Edit:

Sorry looking back on this I think I have crossed multiple questions into one but one more final question emerged...

If I had a user with a primary smtp address, and then that user got evaluated to a new policy with a different primary smtp address, does that users original primary automatically become a secondary? or is there a way of saying in the email address policy "do not make original primary a secondary etc"

• Edited by UselessUser Friday, January 13, 2012 11:37 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:27 AM

Answers

All replies