locked
Having issues getting an XP SP3 client to install properly RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    The environment:

    (All virtual) W2K8 based site server, W2K8 MP server, DC server with DNS, WINS and DHCP. Several (happy) W2K8 and Win7 clients. All in the same domain.

    The issue:

    Im trying to install an XP SP3 client and getting all sorts of grief. The client installs but fails to connect to anything... cant seem to interogate DNS, WINS, AD, cant find any DP locations, cant confirm site code, cant find an MP. I installed the client with ccmsetup /mp:<servername> smssitecode=<sitecode>, several times. Ive actually completely rebuilt this box in case something was corrupt. The box is joined to the same domain as the sccm servers and MP server.

    LocationServices log errors:

    Failed to retrieve DNS service record using _MSSMS_MP_WRO_TCP (WRO being the site code) and yes the SRV entry is in DNS.

    No lookup MP(s) from AD (but its there)

    It sort of looks like a domain security thing, but I dont know what...

    Im starting to pull my hair out....and theres not much of that!

    Any help appreciated.

    Kim

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:49 AM

Answers

  • Well, something weird has just happened. I was checking that the xp client had connectivity to the other servers by pinging all of them, and whilst it did resolve the names and ping the servers OK, it took maybe 5 seconds before it started pinging. So I thought Id add the fqdn of the servers into the local hosts file. I then cleaned up (removed the sccm client) my XP client, rebooted and pushed a new sccm client to the client XP box. That failed. So I tried running the ccmsetup from the site server share with the parameters above, and bingo, its installed.

    I dont know if Im pleased or not!

    Thanks for your help Anoop anyway.

    • Marked as answer by Kim.Cross Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:37 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

  • Few questions ... Any errors in Event logs? Name resolution is working ? AD schema is not extended ? Look at the log files (may be some more clue) ClientIDManagerStartup.log and ClientLocation.log 

    Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Hi Anoop - thanks for the speedy response.. name resolution is working, AD schema is extended, ClientIDManagerStartup keeps rolling over with "Failed to refresh the site code. Error 0x8000ffff" and client location log file only has three lines in it with no clues. Nothing exceptional in event logs.

    Ive just installed another MP and reinstalled the client pointing it at the new MP, with similar issues. Im missing something somewhere.

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:09 AM
  •  "Failed to refresh the site code. Error 0x8000ffff" 

    catastrophic failure. Client installation was successful. Verify ccmsetup.log. How do you build machine from image? If so, I hope, client is not  part of that image. Any useful info in the event log?

    Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:37 AM
  • HI Anoop again,

    Client does install OK - machine itself was built from an .ISO image - and there was no client on the image. Im enabling some dns logging to see if that can throw any light on why the xp client cant interogate the dns server (or so its suggesting) to find an MP - although I DID specify this on the command line. Nothing helpful in the client log files, other than above, except for the certificatemaintenance log file which repeatedly states "failed to verify signature of message received from MP using <FQDN of MP server> - dont know if thats significant. 

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:51 AM
  • A couple of new error messages Im getting in the smscliui.log file when I try to assign it via the control panel applet to the site code I get "Attempt to update the assigned site has failed Error: 0x80004005" and if I try to get it to discover it itself I get "Attempt to autodiscover site has failed Error: 0x40002"

     

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:08 PM
  • ..something else - checking up on the basics now - the pre-reqs for sccm 2012 client installation on an x64 machine with XP is SP2 - does that mean SP3 is NOT supported? Im assuming SP2 is a minimum...
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Well, something weird has just happened. I was checking that the xp client had connectivity to the other servers by pinging all of them, and whilst it did resolve the names and ping the servers OK, it took maybe 5 seconds before it started pinging. So I thought Id add the fqdn of the servers into the local hosts file. I then cleaned up (removed the sccm client) my XP client, rebooted and pushed a new sccm client to the client XP box. That failed. So I tried running the ccmsetup from the site server share with the parameters above, and bingo, its installed.

    I dont know if Im pleased or not!

    Thanks for your help Anoop anyway.

    • Marked as answer by Kim.Cross Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:37 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:37 PM