none
Project Web App 2013 "Status" field options RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to update the selections in the provided "Status" field in PWA 2013 from In Progress, Late, and Completed to something like Not Started, On Schedule, Late, At Risk and Complete?
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suppose you're refering to the task status field in the schedule, available either from PWA or from MS Project, right?

In case you are, this is a out of the box field which cannot be modified. That being said, you could create your own custom field with your own labels and calculations, envetually your own graphical indicators.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, October 2, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Yes that's the field I was referring to.  I tried modifying the "Health" table with the options that I wanted to use and then used that table for a custom Status field however, it has to be set manually and I want it to populated based on the % Complete.  I am fairly new to PWA so feeling a bit at a loss
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:42 PM
  • So indeed you cannot modify this STATUS indicator. This is automatically calculated based on this calculations and cannot be modified.

Below is an example on how to define a task indicator using formula. It is maybe a bit complicated and implies you're using baseline (which is a best practice).

http://blog.practicingitpm.com/2012/09/30/adding-a-calculated-status-indicator-to-tasks-in-ms-project/

You could also use this one, and associate each status with a graphical indicator.

Another example here in PWA:

http://nabeell.blogspot.fr/2015/02/graphical-indicators-with-custom-fields.html

Hope this helps,

Monday, October 2, 2017 4:54 PM
  • We are unfortunately NOT using baseline (yet) our PM's are simply updating the %complete field for their tasks.  This would be fine if Leadership was not insisting on using "Not Started, On Schedule, At Risk, Late and Complete" as our Statuses.  I have tried using the "Health" table with the options requested and then calling that table into a lookup field.  The first problem I have run into with that is that we have to manually change the new status field, it is not updating based on the % Complete field.
    Monday, October 2, 2017 5:26 PM
  • You could always create another custom fields using the existing status indicator and set your own label and graphical indicator.

Here is the procedure:

https://epmxperts.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/track-delayed-tasks-on-a-sechedule-without-baseline/

You could also create a "Expected % complete" = Actual duration/Duration and compare it with the % complete.

Hope this helps,

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:04 PM
  • ok I created the Planned % Complete and the new Task Status field based on the information provided in the link above HOWEVER, I am getting an error when trying to save the new field that states there are errors with the formula.

I copied the formula from the reading which is Switch([Status]=3,”Future”,[Status]=0,”Done”,[Status]=1,”On Track”,[Status]=2,”Late”)

and modified it for what I need to use it for, this is my code:

Switch([Status]=4,”Complete”,[Status]=3,”Late”,[Status]=2,”At Risk”,[Status]=1,”On Schedule”,[Status]=0,"Not Started")

It will not work, am I missing something?

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:53 PM
  • The status field cannot be equal to 4 and since it is a native field, you cannot change this. So you have to deal with the existing value from 0 to 3. For example it does not make the distinction between late and at risk.

If it is not suitable to you, you have to define what mean at risk and late; and create a dedicated custom field.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:21 AM
  • I tried using the field "Health" with the accompanying table "Health" but did not work either.  My guess is I am missing the connection between this field and the %Complete? 

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:52 PM
  • What exactly did you try with the health field? It is not related to the %complete, this is just a manual indicator at task level, but it doesn't trigger anything.

Why not just use the % expected complete (to be created using the current date) and compare it to the %complete. Then do something like (to be adjusted):

• If %complete=100%; Complete
    • If %complete=0%; Not started
    • If abs(%complete-%ExpectedComplete)<5%; On Time
    • If %complete-%ExpectedComplete<5 ahead of schedule
    • If %complete-%ExpectedComplete>40%; at risk
    • Else Late

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Ok I found a formula and was able to setup the fields correctly and all seems to be working EXCEPT at the task (project plan) level, whenever the %Complete is updated the actual status of On Schedule, Late, etc... updates correctly but the indicator does not change colors this is only happening with the MILESTONES.  The actual task level updates correctly and the Project Center status and indicator shows the correct info.

This is the formula I used (yes found on the net and tweaked a bit)

IIf([Scheduled Duration] = 0, "", IIf([% Complete] = 100, "Complete", IIf([Scheduled Start] > Now(), "Future Task", IIf([% Complete] < 100 And [Scheduled Finish] <= Now(), "Late", IIf([% Complete] < 100 * ProjDateDiff(Now(), [Scheduled Start]) / ProjDateDiff([Scheduled Finish], [Scheduled Start]), "At Risk", "On Schedule")))))

Thank you so much for your help!

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:24 PM