Have Comments about Windows 7 RC? (Part 4 - Do not post questions in this thread) RRS feed

• General discussion

• <Continuation of long thread Have Comments about Windows 7 RC? (Part 3)>

To all forum users:

Please use this thread to note any comments that you have about Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC). Do not use this thread for any specific question or issue that you are having - just for comments or feedback. For questions/issues that require an answer, create a new thread.

Thanks

-Tony Mann
    Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums, Windows Client Forum Owner
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hey there,

I have been testing Windows 7 Beta for a while and I am please with it.

I use Media Center a lot and have a Media Extender.

Having 2 TV/Sat tuner combo, I record lots of movies and my favourites shows by using the TV guides... this works great. I have now over 50 movies and shows recorded on an external drive.

One feature that I would love to see is to be able to "Tag" the recorded TV or Movies that would tell you if you have watched the show or not. Adding the Date previously viewed would also be a good add-on.

Hope to see that feature in the future.

keep up the good work.

Cheers

Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Dan -

Pretty good idea - you might want to post your suggestion to the Have Comments on the Windows 7 Beta (part2) thread. Posts made there are regularly collected and forwarded to the development team. Stuff posted otherwise can get lost in the shuffle.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hi all, I've installed the Win7 RC1 7100 and have again been disappointed by the lack of 802.1x authentication methods available. As usual we get the PEAP and SmartCard TLS type authentication methods, but where is the EAP-TTLS-PAP? The reason I would really like for various methods to be available on Win7 is so we don't have to install SecureW2 on about 20,000 student's laptops every year in order to get them connected to our campus wireless network and to the eduroam. Mac OSX Leopard supports TTLS, LEAP, TLS, PEAP, EAP-FAST out of the box, is it that difficult to implement in Win7? at least some of those authentication methods, most common would, be nice?

I'm hoping that this post will be read by appropriate person within microsoft and will be given some serious thought. I'm sure there are plenty of universities and other companies and instituitions around the globe that wish that they didn't have to rely on third party 802.1x supplicants.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I have a dual monitor system - the video card is an NVidia GEForce 8800 with two DVI outputs.  I use the second monitor sparingly.  My BIOS boots to the "primary" monitor, and during the install of RC1, most of the dialog occurred on this monitor.  I have set up a dual boot system with Vista and W7 and Vista runs just fine on the primary, and I can turn on the secondary at will.  So far so good.

However, during the last phase of the install of RC1 (this also occured with the first beta), the final output and startup of RC1 occurred on the secondary (!) monitor.  It first seemed as though the install hung - the primary simply showed a black screen even though it had been active thrtought the install. I turned on the secondary, and there was all the final install dialog display.  I finished the setup there, and then set my main monitor to be primary and now all is well.

The fact that some of the install output displays on the secondary monitor is a problem.  The entire install should display on the BIOS boot monitor, I should think...
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Sounds like an unexpected issue.

Please post your issue here . Microsoft Dev Teams would go through this thread and check on your issue.

Thanks.

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Problem report: Samsung NP-Q310-AS02 Notebook Hibernate not working

Fresh install Win7 RC1, when try to Hibernate the system will restart
    and also hte sleep button is dimmed

Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Previously, I had the standard Vista version of the MS Intellipoint software loaded on build 7000 and the buttons worked properly. Since installing the RC, however, I found there was a beta version of the Intellipoint driver - so I installed that instead.

It all pretty much works fine - except for the magnifyer button on my Comfort Optical Mouse 3000. The magnification "lens" only pops up when I'm on the desktop. If I've got an application open - like IE, or Word, or a photo editor - the button is completely unresponsive. I have to minimize the app, click on the button, get the lens up, and then alt-tab back to the app I need to magnify. I likewise have to do the same thing to shut the lens off.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:08 AM
  • I changed the "small thumb" button to "Forward (browser)" in the mouse settings (on my Intellimouse Explorer).  I also installed 6.3 of the mouse software, however.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a1525476-a28b-40e4-88c9-97db00d6a75a&DisplayLang=en

All seems to be working fine.

Doc
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Doc -

Just for grins and giggles, I set my thumb button up to Back, and that, strangely, works fine in IE 8 and Windows Explorer. But setting it back to Magnify - and it does nothing unless I'm on the desktop proper. Me thinks this be a bug as it worked fine in the previous incarnation.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:00 PM
  • This is maybe a bug, maybe not, but I think that this behavior should not happen at all, and in some ways gives you another perspective of how clipboard works.

Explanation

yesterday i was woking with some servers and copy a command to paste in a brand new txt file.
    the command was \\192.168.1.1\c$
    i selected the command and pressed ctrl-C
    i right click desktop and created a new text file, but by error i pressed ctrl-V in the name of the txt file
    Windows pasted 192.168.1.1c$ and told me that some characters will not do in a filename.
    i pressed esc to get the original filename
    opened the file name and pasted the clipboard content.
    Now, what i pasted was 192.168.1.1c, so MY clipboard content was modified by windows.
    I mean instead of modyfing the file name to remove the characters, windows modified my clipboard.

More info here http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=769870
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:11 PM
  •   Not sure if this is where to comment about this or not. Anyway, not sure if anyone else has had this problem. Sometimes (not everytime) when you loose a game, or click on Game and hit new game, if you choose "restart this game" it does not restart that one, but a random one as if you selected "new Game". It is not a big problem but I like trying to complete each game if it is at all possible wether it takes 1 time or 5.

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Build 7100 (RC) greatly improved touch screen support for the Q1.  I can now reach the edges of the screen, which was not possible in older versions of Windows 7.  So in landscape mode it is great.

However, when I rotate the screen to portrait mode, I cannot calibrate the screen properly.  I can't reach the edges and no matter how many times I recalibrate, the pen ends up in the wrong place by a few millimeters. 

Not sure why that might be the case, but I thought I might report it.

All works perfectly well in Windows XP, except that screen rotation is not supported in XP.  Well, I can rotate the screen, but not the touch sensor matrix (which put me in quite a jam trying to switch it back...)
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Hi, love the new W7, works perfectly on my 3 year old acer laptop running 1 gigabyte RAM.

One observation I have is that when you put the taskbar topside of the screen it layers over programs that are open in a full screen window.

Real happy with the rest of it all!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:40 PM
  • I have also experienced this same issue.  I actually ran the install 3 times before I realised it had swapped to my second monitor. The problem that I now have is that my primary monitor shows up as 2 and my secondary screen on hdmi shows as 1. I am using a radeon 4850 with my main monitor on dvi and second via hdmi adapter. If I unplug the dvi cable I can get my primary monitor to show correctly but as soon as i plug it back in it swaps back. No amount of fiddling with widows or ati settings has resolved this so far.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Add one more to this issue. I am having the same trouble. Main picture is appearing on monitor 2. very frustrating
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:43 AM
  • I'm getting used to Win7 and I really like it, but the worst thing about it is the start menu. I don't really want the classic menu, as I use keyboard commands for darn near everything, but you would think that the start menu would be more customizable in the 21st century and some 10yrs or so later.  The start menu in Win7 is the absolute worst start menu of any OS period.  There should at least be a way to change it to show programs by default or at least change the back ground color from that god awful blank white eyesore that is the default. This shows a very serious lack of innovation and creativity by Microsoft.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:19 PM
  • I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my Lenovo S10 Netbook and have to say it's better than any other version of Windows I've run thus far. I was seriously considering switching to a Macbook but Windows 7 and the improvements have changes my mind. I want to not that the S10 comes with Windows XP but I had already upgraded it to Vista (after a 2GB memory upgrade). While Vista ran it did so very slow and not al the devices where detected. Windows 7 though installed without any issues, detected the previously undetected devices and just rocked!

Kuddos to Microsoft...keep up the good work!
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Rexec command was removed from all but two versions of Vista (Ultimate & enterprise), yet any Win XP had it built in.  Even getting rexec to work on Vista Ultimate was a chore (needed to activate Subsystem for Unix-based applications (SUA) and download the component).
    This is one reason I need WinXP.
    How will rexec work in Win7?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:18 PM
  • WideScreen Monitors are Native to Windows 7 RC 7100.   If one of your Monitors a Standard LCD and the other is a WideScreen then that is where the final stages of the installation will wind up.

I am having the same trouble. Main picture is appearing on monitor 2. very frustrating 

Right click on the Deskstop.  Click on Screen Resolution.  You can configure which Monitor or Monitors you would like to display.

Friday, May 15, 2009 8:20 PM
  • WideScreen Monitors are Native to Windows 7 RC 7100.   If one of your Monitors a Standard LCD and the other is a WideScreen then that is where the final stages of the installation will wind up.

I am having the same trouble. Main picture is appearing on monitor 2. very frustrating 

Right click on the Deskstop.  Click on Screen Resolution.  You can configure which Monitor or Monitors you would like to display.

You miss the point.  I am well aware there are any number of workarounds after installation.  The problem is, if you happen to have your second monitor turned off while you install, at some point you'll never know that your installation is now proceeding on the 'other'  monitor.  You think instead that the install has failed.

The issue is that if, for example, I have dual monitors configured on a running Vista system and then install W7, during the installation the setup confuses the two monitors and makes the "primary" monitor (the BIOS boot monitor, and the #1 monitor in Vista/XP) number 2.  This is just wrong, is a bug, and should be fixed.  A Vista install doesn't get confused like this; W7 shouldn't either.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:30 PM
  • a lot of xp/2003 summary fields are missing and not available even for viewing in windows 7.  This can be show stopper if not massive migration time consumption for some business.

I do recomend bring it back for vhd, development file types, exe, dll, txt,rtf,...  expecially for business edition. As for ultimate, let users/admin make a choice.  Just Details available for office documents is not enough

I am testing w7 rc as a vpc 2007 guest vm . the lack of support for "details" is apprent for files even residing wihtin the vhd, and those on shares by xp/w2003
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:17 AM focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    • Merged by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, June 19, 2009 4:48 PM Feedback
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:11 AM
  • I pulled my drive, installed a new one, and installed the 32bit RC.
    It went smooth and quickly! Luckily 7 recognized and readied my LAN and I went to the update page first and started browsing while they downloaded.
    The first reboots were smooth and fairly quick.
    So far so good, and now I got down to what I dreaded - installing mobo, video card and sound card drivers.
    ATI Redeon has 7 drivers up so I tried the earlier ones, as the 9.4 gave some problems on Vista and XP before. Went great, things looked better.
    Mobo is Vista cert. with no 7 drivers nor none being proposed. The Vista drivers weren't needed as 7 has them already, obviously, and performance is even better than Vista's score already.
    Not a single problem until the sound card, an HTOmega Striker 7.1. No 7 drivers until next month, so I decided to risk the Vista drivers. No go. Tried the XP. No joy.
    So, enabled the mobo onboard and plugged in the digital optical. JOY! Logitech z5500 sounds great.
    Now on to the real problems. Several of my favorite programs didn't install on XP64 and others didn't run right in Vista32 and quite a few had major problems under Vista 64.
    Everything installed and ran great! Everything but FrontPage 2000. lol. Office programs, games, file apps, media apps, even HD-DVD and BluRay playback! Great!
    So, after a day of seeing things run great, I downloaded the 64bit version and got busy installing it.
    Everything went fine. Even the programs that wouldn't install or run on XP 64 or Vista 64 are installed and running great!
    Including WinDVD9, Cowon Media, Expression Web and even SimCity4 which I won't give up!
    So far 7 is impressive. Not just the compatibility, but the performance. All the newer games play the same or some slightyly better FPS. The interface is pretty and neat. The Aero is a nice piece of eye-candy. Better control over widgets compared to Vista. Programs seem to snap open, but that is probably the 64bit, eh?
    The design of the interface is improved, even though the Start Menu would be nice if you could 'revert' it to XP and earlier styles as outlined by so many others here.
    So far not a single BSOD, and I've tried doing things that typically caused them in XP and Vista by running a few apps together that never got along before. They still fight over screen time and control, but they don't bring the OS to a grinding blue halt now! GJ!
    So, the first week, I'm falling for 7. I was a late taker to Vista, liking my XP and not liking Vista much, on top of having a few compatibility issues.
    Not with 7.
    So far so good!
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 9:36 AM
  • I can not switch which monitor is the primary or main monitor. My main display is identified is 2. That is the opposite of the correct configuration. I could just trade the cables, but then only Windows 7 RC would be correct.

Both of my monitors are wide screen, a HB 191 and a Sony HDTV. The Sony HDTV is identified as 1, I want the HB191 to be 1.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sure a lot of users tinker with turning off services when setting up windows to either lock down or performance tune their box. But unless you deligently note down what the default turned on services are, ( and whether they are automatic or manual ) there is no way to revert back to out of box settings when things don't work. I am requesting a a Restore Defaults button that will revert all services settings to their out of box settings.

Thanks
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Happy Days! - I need to share my success story with installing W7 RC1. It sure didn't go according to Microsoft's directions. To get around the driver problems  I did the following:

Per a tip from the Microsoft TechNet Forum, I downloaded & burned several of the most recent Silicon Graphics drivers to a CD (memory sticks evidently don't always work).

I reran the installation up to where it requested the driver for my SATA controller. I read this into the Install program from the CD drive & Voila! It found a driver it liked.

I replaced the Install disc & was - once again - unable to select my desired partition P & still got the same error message.

Here is the interesting part of this saga - I backed up in menu pages until I got to the Accept License menu. I checked the agreement as accepted - again - & paged thru to the Custom Install menu where I was to select the partition.

NOW I could select the partition, with no resultant error, & I was able to click on the NEXT button.

The rest of the installation went forward without a hitch. From a cold boot I am given the choice to boot into W7, or to select an earlier version of Windows - XP in my case.

W7 shows as installed on my P drive & I can also see & have access to all my other drives & partitions.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is still an unfinished version to install & bugs WILL be prevelant. I do like what I see so far.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:02 PM
  • I'm not sure how it is possible to provide feedback about Windows 7 without mentioning specific issues encountered, or specific enhancements that are particularly useful.  To me, that sounds like an oxymoron.  Anyhow, here's my feedback.

1) It seems much more stable than my short-lived use of Vista.

2) I love the new task bar icons and the previews of minimized windows.  I used to use ObjectDock Plus from StarDock, and am glad that this type of functionality is finally available in Windows.  What would be useful is the ability to separate particular windows instead of having them all grouped together.  This is particularly an issue for IE, as it creates a separate view for each tab, instead of each IE window.  When a user has two IE windows open, each with five tabs, it should be configurable whether there are two IE entries in the taskbar rather than ten.

3) The Alt-Tab task switching is great, but can be improved.  The highlight around the task / window is not in enough contrast to immediately see which one is selected.  A higher-contrast default color scheme for task switching would be useful.

4) The action configured for what happens when my latop lid is closed sometimes looses its setting.  I have had to go back and reconfigure it to enter standby mode at least two or three times.

5) Backup simply does not work.  This is of particular concern due to the fact that it is a RC release.  I was able to create a recovery DVD, but backup itself does not work and reports Error Code 0x81000031.  When I try and create a system image, it gives error 0x8007007A, and says "The data area passed to a system call is too small."

6) After several reboots the system automatically ran a chkdsk on the system drive (C:).  It appeared to shut down correctly, so I'm not sure why it had to run the chkdsk.

Thanks,

Fred

Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Oh, and lastly, I had Safari pinned to the taskbar.  When it did an upgrade the pinned item shows a generic icon, but I can't remove the pinned item.  When I click on it it says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."  There appears no way to remove the item.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Fred,

The issue you describe above with IE Taskbar grouping is actually a feature available only to certain Microsoft programs which are well-integrated into Windows 7. Mozilla Firefox and other browsers do not do this. I'd recommend that you repost this to the comments thread , so that the feature can be expanded for the final release.

Can you elaborate on what sort of backup you were attempting?
    -Alex
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I like the idea of UAC so I do not want to turn it off globally, but why can't there be a program run option to turn off UAC challenges.   It is a bit annoying to have to answer these challenges for programs that I run everyday or several times a day.  The UAC should challenge you when attempt to change the run option, but once set the challenges should stop.   This was my main complaint about Vista and I thought in Win7 it was going to be addressed, but it is still here with us.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:30 PM
  • i agree, we need a way to turn it off for programmes we sue, click a "accept always from this programme" or somthing like that :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:21 PM
  • This issue was already been questioned (I am one that questioned it a few times already). But microsoft just don´t want to listen.

Not having a way to mark a program as "trusted" is a huge security issue. If the user get used to "always answer yes to this box, it will appear every time, no matter what", then, this users is aquiring a bad habit. What will stop this users of clicking yes to a malware? For this user, UAC is just a annoying box that needs the yes every time. It needs to change.
    The user must understand that if UAC is triggered, then, something IMPORTANT is going to happen. But, if UAC keeps poping everywhere, everytime, it will just be "another yes box".

In fact, the way UAC is today, is much better than it was in vista.  But it still far far away from beeing really efficient.

If you (or microsoft) wants to read, this question was already the one that motivated these:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/210849f7-9dd2-4736-b885-31d820e98d2a

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/e128fda6-8ea4-4796-9c72-ffbca1054cea

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/1d58801d-dc99-4337-a07e-41c1ed3957e8

And, look in this one, in particular:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/24f1e611-e4f5-4030-8e4c-c3c30c99d76d/

This user will just end up disabling the UAC just because it´s not allowing it to automaticaly run Everest. I Run everest at my computer startup, and I suffered the same. It took me lots of time to find a way to circunvent it (using a Admin elevated task to create a task that runs everest every logon). But, the average user will never do it. Will never find it. The average user will just turn UAC off. And it´s bad.

Worse it, a malware can just create a elavated task like I did to run everest, and the user will never know it. Very sad.

In fact, for me, UAC is just what the name says: User Annoyance Center. It works very well to annoy the user. And I am still to know a average computer user that likes to be annoyed. They WILL turn UAC off. Just like they did in vista. So, UAC is, today, a error by design.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Fred,

Do you have any dynamic disks that are involved in the backup?

Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:27 AM
    Answerer
  • I think such an option for automatic program trusts breaks the UAC security. Because what if an virus or something like that corrupted your program or contains a leak. That means that if you elevate such program every time you have a possible security leak. Better is that software like Everest is going to change in the way they are using their drivers to get system information. Because they are loading the drivers at runtime you are always asked for elevation. So the problem is in this case by Everest which doesn't correctly handles UAC and they should update their software! Another option is to find a program which does the same but handles it correctly (don't load drivers at runtime, but preinstall them).
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Kasmar,
    Don't shoot the bodyguard for checking with you.
    I was like you when I first got Vista: "Oh my God!, everythings stops and I have to click on this stupid thing ! HOW DARE THEY STOP ME !"
    The UAC, Kasmar, is NOT CHALLENGING YOU, it is making sure that YOU are the one running things.
    I eventually understood this and I very soon saw that Vista was a lot better than XP in many many ways.
    Give it a try and when the UAC shows up just say "Thanks Bart" and go on.
    That's the small price to pay for security.

Friday, May 29, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Perfect, HumkyDork.

It is exactly how a software for security should behave. Maybe I should stoping using my custom rules in my firewall too.. It´s faaar more secure to just answer the exactly same thing every time a program needs to connectto a network.

Ok, if windows can´t safely store (password? bitlocker? ANYthing) a list of programs that the user allows to run, then, this is system is real safe, hum? I can´t understand all this paranoic behavior "Let UAC, I need to click the stupid YES button 50 times a day to feel safe". It´s a idiotic behaviour. It´s exactly like addmit: "hey, our system is so insecure that ANY firewall or antivirus in the WORLD performs better than us to do a task. Don´t trust us, so, keep answering yes, and don´t ask again, we are not going to change it".
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Well, that my be all well and good Hunky.... but if you have a program that you want to run at startup and you want that program to run as administrator, the UAC challenge causes windows to block it..  I had a USB drive that was connected to my router and it required a manager program to allow Vista to see it and of course, that program needed to run at startup as administrator.  Well, due to the UAC challenge the program would not run at startup.  I had to tell Vista to unblock it and let it run, but by the time I was able to do that the drive had already not been recognized.  It was a real headache.  I eventually ended up having to take the drive off the router.  It would not have been a problem if I could have told the UAC that this program was okay to run.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I think the entire mentality behind the UAC is completely and totally flawed. The idea that drives it's existence is definitely a step in the right direction towards a more secure OS, but it seems pretty apparent to me that requiring the user to regulate the security at such a constant and intrusive manner is what really fuels the negative perceptions regarding not just Windows' vulnerability to security risks, but also its overall quality and ease of use as an operating system. It seems to me that most people forget that a large majority of Windows users are not technically savy and don't understand what UAC is or its purpose as a security mechanism.

Sure most people understand computers can get viruses, but ask Joe Blow using Windows if he understands why all of those boxes keep popping up asking if he's sure he wants to run program X every day he needs to use it. Most people just chalk it up to another "new thing" that Vista (and now Windows 7) does, without any real understanding that it's there to increase security (that may be a surprise to alot of people but keep in mind you're surfing microsoft technet forums - I'm talking about the demographic of Windows users who barely understand how to work their word processor and browser... which constitues a LARGE number of Windows users). And because of that lack of understanding, Joe gets used to seeing that box come up asking his permission to do whatever, and Joe gets used to clicking 'Yes', so when the time comes when some trojan initiates something that asks Joe his permission to run, Joe (being the non-technical user he is) is greeted by the usual UAC pop-up that he really doesn't understand what it is but always answers 'Yes' to in order to make it go away, so he unwittingly does what he always does and answers 'Yes'. Believe me, this has happened before and will continue to happen as long as there are Windows novices using Windows (so forever, or until Windows dies).

The bottom line is, the security monitoring has to be more behind the scenes. I understand that may be a near-impossible request to have the same kind of protection that we get now through UAC with a more low-key security monitoring system running in the background, but it really is the only way Microsoft can acheive the level of user satisfaction that it enjoyed during the XP era.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

There is a serious issue with Windows 7 and the fact that it WON'T use mandatory roaming profiles at all.  We will NOT be able to implement Windows 7 in my domain if this issue isn't resolved. I am not sure how to contact Microsoft with regards to this bug.

I have put it in the Windows 7 Miscellaneous forum and also in the huge 3 part thread. However, no one from Microsoft actually seems to be reading those posts.

Users assigned a usersprofile.v2 profile get a TEMP profile OR the entire desktop is access is denied.

What I have tried so far to do is:

1> Followed the directions for Vista and created a regular user with no profile path.
    2> Logged onto the workstation and configured the profile.
    3> Logged off and on again as an Administrator
    4> Tried to COPY profile but COPY is greyed out (BIG BUG) - Delete isn't greyed out though so profile isn't loaded.

Therefore I copied the profile manually to \\server\Profiles$\User.v2

I took control and set permissions on all the folders.
    I deleted the LOCAL profile folders

I opened the NTUser.dat and reset the registry permissions to Everyone=Full Control from userprofile=Full Control.

In AD I set a user with the profile \\server\profiles$\User

It loaded ONCE but when trying to open Libraries, My Documents or My Computer from the Desktop you get "Access is Denied". You can access from within software though.

Logged off and logged back on again.

Now it is "preparing desktop" for that user regardless and loading a TEMP profile. It WON'T load the mandatory profile.

This is a Make or Break issue for Cross Platform domains.
    lforbes
    • Edited by lforbes Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:03 PM
    • Merged by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:09 AM Request
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:56 PM
  • I actually really like Windows Media Player 12, and watching video in the taskbar pop-up preview is a great feature.

Some of the people who miss WMP 11's toolbar would not have as much of an issue if the pop-up preview simply happened faster.  So, suggestion 1:

- Provide obvious option to make all taskbar pop-ups instantaneous

I had to find a registry workaround, but it's made my life in Windows 7 much easier.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/02/09/how-to-speed-up-taskbar-thumbnails-preview-in-windows-7/

Suggestion 2:

- Give us an option to make the WMP pop-up preview persistent (meaning a video will continue playing in the mini taskbar window while working on other tasks).

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Anthony

It’s an absolutely brilliant product but a number of my requests, made over several years, have still been ignored. This seems to be my last chance until Window 8 is in conception.

1. A new feature that lists all Control Panel installation defaults, with a Reset ‘button‘.
    2. Allow colours to be added to file names, e.g. right-click menu > Color > and choose Grey, Mauve or Yellow (I know Black, Blue, Green and Red are currently reserved).  This feature would allow an extra Sort or Group By index.
    3. Snipping Tool feature to allow text to be typed immediately, rather than having to load a program (say, Paint) to edit the picture.

Thank you.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:23 PM
  • I have a comment about Windows media player 12. well, its more of a bug report. both Windows media player 12 and Windows 7 are not reading the metadata from my music files properly for some reason. I believe this issue was in Windows 7 beta 1 and ot it is appearing in the RC. What the heck? the interesting thing about this issue is that the issue only appeared a few days ago and that only 3rd party applications can read the metadata from my music files.  At least the operating system is not messing up my files from not being able to read the metadata from them. this is a seriuos issue and needs to be fixed.

I even started using iTunes as a music player because it was ale to read the metadata from my music files properly and yet i do not like iTunes at all.... I miss Windows media player 11.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

As long as I can't report anymore found bugs and I don't know how to alert the dev team, I'll try with this forum :

The option about the time before the screen shut down, in the power management window, is buged. It restore itself to default value randomly.

Ex : I select "Never" at "Shut down the screen after :"

Then I launch a full screen divx and after one hour or so, the screen shuts down and I have to move my mouse to wake it up.

When I check again the option, it restored to "twenty minuts" and I have to change it again and again.

Btw, if I check my preferences like 15 minuts after selected my choice, it's still my choice selected. So it's not a bug with the "Apply" button.

It's not a big deal but a bit annoying while watching movies.

Regards.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:34 AM
  • JiDW -

This IS actually the right place to be posting issues with Windows 7.

Your issue with power managment is known and the programmers should be working on a fix - it should be ready by release time. In the mean time, the best solution is to disable sleep/hibernation entirely for the time being.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Wolfie - do you know if there is any known issue with turning off displays? The display on my laptop does not turn off every every 15 minutes, as I have set it to. Sometimes it will shut off, other times it simply remains dimmed without going off. Anyone else experience this?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Dan -

Not sure if there's an issue with turning stuff off - but there was a known issue with turning monitors back ON when you resume from sleep.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:12 AM
  • I recently had the privilege (?) of cutting files from one directory (CTRL-X) and pasting them into a subordinate directory (CTRL-V)  This directory had over 600 files in it.  I noticed when selecting more than 75-100 files (SHIFT-PgDn) at once, only the first 52-68 would copy even though all 75-100 files were selected according to the GUI.  The Drag and Drop into the subordinate folder using the mouse seemed to work more reliably.

This is on a Dell Studio 1737 if that's pertinent.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Windows 7 rc works perfectly for me.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Totally agree, this certainly isn't enterprise ready without LEAP support.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Windows 7 rc works perfectly for me.

good for you. well, at least i'm only having this one issue that bothers me with windows media player 12, like i said before... i just with i could go back to version 11 at times and not have version 12 installed on the system. i also wish that i did not have to use the new libraries system that is in Windows 7. I like how the folders system worked in Windows XP and i guess it was ok for how it was in vista. i just hate how the folder libraried for Windows media player and windows explorer are merged. in a way, i just wish you could turn that damned feature off. :( the rest is going great, but i would like some improvements.

I read news of a 2nd RC coming out on the 12th, does anyone know if the is true? because if that is, i think i will be upgrading to it. It says its for MSDN/Technet sunscribers only, but yet i do not think microsoft is actually going to reease anoth RC. at least i read good things about it...lol
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:34 PM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1811

[suggestion #1] keep Menu Selected Item color layout consistency for Windows 7

Problem:
    1)
    to improve Appliaction Menu Selected Item color. (discriminated Appliaction Menu color very difficult, looked vague.)
    There is no consistency between the Start Menu and the Appliaction Menu.
    To keep Start Menu and Appliaction Menu Selected Item color style consistency, like Windows XP.

2)
    Windiows Explorer Menu Selected Item has 2 color layout styles in Windows7.
    Please keep Selected Item color layout consistency for Menu.
    Why the 'Include in libary' used another color layout?

keep Menu Selected Item color layout consistency for Windows 7

view screenshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/keep_Menu_color_layout_consistency.png/x/560

• Edited by fuchueh Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:30 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:25 PM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1648

[suggestion #2] keep Details Columns style consistency
     for Windows 7

Problem:
    Details Columns has 2 styles in Windows7.
    Please keep style consistency for Details Columns.

keep Details Columns style consistency

view screenshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Details_style.png/x/560

• Edited by fuchueh Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:34 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:26 PM
  • prefetchers are not turning off and maybe defrag is not auto disabling on SSD when one is installed and the windows performance index has been performed, its more that the defrag on the c: drive has not been disabled as i my fragmentation is now at 1% (was 4% before so the auto defrag has been performed )

system is in AHCI mode i have an SSD (corsair S128 gets 7.1 on the index) and an HDD (WD black 1TB)

---------- other note

your web site must not be complaying with the HTML spec as my opera will not let me use the submit button i had to use IE

Friday, June 5, 2009 3:01 AM
  • At this stage I'm surprised to find this bug still here from the beta release. I guess no-one reported it? Using build 7100 on an HP Pavillion DV2500, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo processor.

To reproduce it, run the Easy Transfer wizard, click "Next", "External Hard drive", "this is my old computer". When all the information has been gathered click "customize" by the username. Note that the 3 items Music Pictures and Video all return the same file sizes regardless of actual content.  Uncheck any one of the three boxes marked Music, Pictures or Video. Note that the while nothing else gets unchecked all of those three items plus Documents plus Other Items all get the file size reduced to zero. They also don't get included in the mig file. Internet Explorer settings also get dropped.

Friday, June 5, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot reproduce the issue on my side. Given the situation, could you please confirm the followings:

1. Which file type are you trying to move?
    2. Where you move the files to ? folder in another drive or in same drive?
    3. Does the issue occur in Safe Mode?

Thanks.

Friday, June 5, 2009 7:24 AM
  • Comments about Windows 7..... Well, I gave it a try.

The overall look and performance is looking very good. But that's for me not the main reason for an operating system.
    I don't see much difference with Windows Vista. It's not a major upgrade.
    Handling different tasks together goes well.

But in my view many settings we like to play around with nowadays are too hidden. And I would like that setup to have more personalization options so I can configure the way my desktop, start menu, etc look like the first time I log in.

I cannot judge if this is really a secure OS. What's the purpose of marking a wireless network as Home, Work or Public? That doesn't scare the serious attacker.

Device recognition is good. Drivers are fully in the OS and are constantly updated by Windows Update. Hope that in the future people don't have to worry about this and fuzz around in Device manager. Makes the job of the DST a lot easier.

Conclusion: Nice OS, but no reason to upgrade for me.
    ---Just a HP Mini Netbook running Windows Server 2008 now ---
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:59 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1622

[suggestion #3] keep UI theme style consistency for Windows 7

keep UI theme style consistency for Menu bar & Tool bar.
    like Windows XP theme style's consistency.

keep UI theme style consistency for Windows 7.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/UI_Style_Consistency.png/x/700

Friday, June 5, 2009 12:58 PM
  • When Windows 7 is installed, currently it defaults to no screensaver , which is bad in terms of power saving and overall green-ness. I suggest that after install at least the Windows Logo or smth is set as the wallpaper.
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:23 PM
  • As you all probably know, Win+1/2/3/.. activates those windows in taskbar.
    But there is one thing that bugs me about this -- only the upper-row 1/2/3/.. keys work with this. Why not numpad keys?
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:25 PM
  • It would be really nice if Virtual Windows XP 's windows could take advantage of Win7's Aero Snap . I know that Aero Peek is not possible [due to lack of DWM], but Snap is just window resizing+placement, so it shouldn't be difficult to implement.
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Maximized windows respond too quickly to titlebar drag in vertical direction - it's enough to move a single pixel, and they snap off, which for me often causes the windows to flicker (because they unsnap and then immediately snap back) when I try clicking their titlebar (to bring them to front) while still stopping my mouse.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:55 PM
  • I just installed Virtual PC and XP mode as I had an application I just couldn't get to work properly in Windows 7 RC x64 (not sure if it's Win7 or x64 that's messing it up). Anyway, I was relatively impressed with the XP mode experience but there is a major issue: NO DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT. This is very annoying. Even when running an application in seamless mode, while I could resize the application's window any which way within my primary monitor, I could neither size it larger than the primary monitor so that it would stretch across the 2 monitors, nor could I even move the window to the secondary monitor, despite the secondary monitor having the same resolution as the primary.

I've noticed similar issues with Windows Live Mesh windows so suspect that there's some common RDP code being used which is not Dual Monitor friendly, although at least with the live mesh windows, while they can't be stretch across both monitor, they can be moved. Not so with XP mode. I realize this is a beta, so I hope this gets fixed for the release.

In fact, I find in general Microsoft products have not been very multi-monitor friendly. Even Windows 7 STILL lacks the ability to assign different background to each monitor, assign different background scaling options to each monitor, or allow stretching of a single background across multiple monitors. The lack of independent scaling control, for instance, means if you plug into a second monitor with a different resolution (eg: HDTV, projector) the background will often not scale properly. I think it's time these basic features were added to the OS.

Friday, June 5, 2009 3:49 PM
  • The default action for pen flick left is Forward ; the default action for pen flick right is Back . Wtf?

The arrow on Back button looks like "<- " -- it points left . So why left flick is Forward , and vice versa?? It should be the other way around! No, seriously, wtf?

Regards,
    Kristaps.

P.S.: Epic shoop is epic.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I have not read all this, but I had a comment after a short use (few days) of Windows 7.  I like the new taskbar and it's display of both active tasks as well as application launch buttons.  I also like the thumbnail view of all open windows for a given application when hovering on the icon in the task bar.  I do miss the abilitity to see ALL open applications in the 'fanned deck' view available in Vista when the "switch between windows" option is chosen.  This should be added back in (if it isn't there already and I just haven't found it.)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Alright these things have probabaly already been mentioned but, there needs to be a classic view for the control panel, I like being able to see every program in the control panel at once instead of dividing it up into sections. There also needs to be a button in the quick launch area to take you back to the desktop, not having that can be really annoying
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:27 PM

• There also needs to be a button in the quick launch area to take you back to the desktop, not having that can be really annoying

@LeftArrow:        

Friday, June 5, 2009 6:37 PM
  • The context menus of the items in Windows Explorer's navigation pane is sometimes inconsistent. For example, the "Open in New Window" item isn't always in the same spot. It's usually the 4th item, right above the first menu separator. But if you pin your Music folder to the Favorites section of the navigation pane, it's inexplicably between two separators of its own.

In my opinion, "Open in New Window" should be at the very top of the context menu as well, since it's probably the most-often-used menu item.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:26 PM
    • there's a "show desktop" button on the far right of the taskbar.
    • there's a "view" (or smth like that) dropdown in CP somewhere below search bar. Use that for the non-retarded view ^^

Regards,
    Kristaps.

Friday, June 5, 2009 7:55 PM
  • WMP 12 Bug : when deleting a mp3 from library window (folder view selected), sometimes it gets confused about the next 2-3 mp3s: when you try playing them, two of them will play the same one of them. After closing and restarting wmp12, it plays each of them correctly. WMP 11 under vista had the same problem, altough seemed to occur even often.

PS repeat a suggestion for WMP - posibility of use of mwheel for skiping fwd/back a number of seconds, maybe through a (3rd party?) plugin at least to be possible.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Really has been a help to me. I had an old HP sitting collecting dust. Could not get it running no matter what.
    Installed the beta, and 90% of the problems solved themselves. When I installed the RC Wow!!!.

Not really a technical sort. Like a lot of users, not interested in how it works, just that it does.
    No disappointments here. Been running for a week, and NO crashes, no funny slowdowns.
    3rd party applications run smoothly.

Thanks for the opportunity to revive an old friend. Too bad he's only got a year to live. Goes on life support in March /10,
    but will seek professional help way before then.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:24 PM
  • I installed Win 7 64-bit RC a couple of months ago on a Intal quad core with an Asus motherboard (P5B-Plus) on a dual boot system and have just uninstalled it. In enjoyed the experience for when it worked well, it worked really well.
    The reason I have given up:
    1) I could not solve an issue with Word 2007 - each time I opened a document it told me that I had an issue with macros, told me what to do (which never worked) and I had to go through this twice before I could actually view the document. No solutions I found on the web worked. I finally decided to remove and reinstall Office but was thwarted by the next problem (I could not use the DVD drives).
    2) After installing silverlight from Windows Update both my DVD drives no longer showed. Removing the lower filters (there were no upper filters) in the registry did not solve this and I could find no way to get my DVD drives back. In fact the IDE channels no longer appeared in the Device Manager list, though my SATA channels and disk drives were all still fine. At that point I had no option but remove Win 7 RC (64 bit).

I still have the 32 bit version working on my laptop and the only issue I have found there is very slow moving files - this has been helped by installing Terracopy. Word is fine in this version and I find it far better to use than Vista home premium. With Vista I have to turn aero off since it randomly crashes my laptop (I use dual monitor) but I have had no such issue with WIn 7 RC (32 bit). It has now become the only system I use on my laptop.

Trevor Geddes
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:52 PM
  • So far I am loving Windows 7 RC 64 bit. I do mainly audio work and the performance in Windows 7 for streaming from disc with software samplers is more than doubly improved over XP 32.

I love the new taskbar -alot- and the show desktop icon. W7 is Not as streamlined and workflow condusive as Mac OS but not far off.

Excellent work. Asside from the ever present appauling lack of taste for GUI that windows is famous for I love this windows.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Alright these things have probabaly already been mentioned but, there needs to be a classic view for the control panel, I like being able to see every program in the control panel at once instead of dividing it up into sections. There also needs to be a button in the quick launch area to take you back to the desktop, not having that can be really annoying

LeftArrow -

Uh.. They got one it's called "All Control Panel Items". And in Windows 7 - it's a fairly LONG list.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:23 PM

The Show Desktop is an unmarked, weirdly shaded rectangle at the far RIGHT of the taskbar clock. No one would actually find it unless by accident of if you were told. Actually it is pretty annoying in that location as I have spent years with my Show Desktop on the Left near the start menu because it 'used' to be moveable.

I have yet to see if I can "pin" the XP shortcut to the Taskbar near the start menu. I did that with a lock computer and logoff command.

With the Control Panel go in and customize the start menu and choose "display as menu". Personally I never actually open the control panel anymore I just show the list in the start menu.
    lforbes
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:35 AM

• [suggestion #5] update all previous-version ICONs to win7style

Problem:
    Many ICONs is previous-version (vista style).
    The style of these previous-version icons does not match that of the new version.

update all previous-version ICONs to win7style.

view shapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/icons_need_update1.png/x/560

• Edited by fuchueh Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:44 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:29 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2075

[suggestion #6] complete remove Windows Mail from Windows 7

Now Windows Mail already can't start. It's already unsupported in win7.
    But it's still remain on the win7 (\Program Files\Windows Mail\).

If you go to the \Program Files\Windows Mail\ folder, you'll still find the Windows Mail folder and those files in them. And you can't run WinMail.exe.

Complete remove Windows Mail from Windows 7
    Please delete WinMail.exe (It can't run)
    If other files very important, please move other files to system32 folder.
    Don't put them in \Program Files\Windows Mail\ folder.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Windows.Mail.need.complete.removed.png/x/560

• Edited by fuchueh Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:44 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:34 AM

[suggestion #7] Windows Defender update color layout and toolbar UI to win7style

Windows Defender color layout and UI isn't win7style.
    win7style color layout is light blue, not dark blue.

Windows Defender update color layout and toolbar UI to win7style
    like Windows Photo Viewer or Windows DVD Maker.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/update.color.layout.and.UI.to.win7style.png/x/560

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:36 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2071

[suggestion #8] Windows Fax and Scan's toolbar update to win7style

Windows Fax and Scan's toolbar update to win7style.
    like Windows Photo Viewer or Windows DVD Maker.

Windows Fax and Scan's toolbar update to win7style

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Windows.Fax.and.Scan_toolbar_no_win7style.png/x/560

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:37 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1825

[suggestion #9] Stand-alone Pin Recycle Bin to Taskbar

Currently, Recycle Bin was Pinned of the Windows Explorer Jumplist.
    It is very unhandy. Because the Recycle Bin is a frequently used module.
    But put on desktop often covered with other window...

Stand-alone Pin Recycle Bin to Taskbar (default).
    With not show Recycle Bin icon on desktop (default).
    Of course, you can Unpin this Recycle Bin from taskbar.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Stand-alone_Pin_RecycleBin_To_Taskbar6.png/x/560

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:38 AM

• [suggestion #10] bootscreen delete "Starting Windows" text for other language

If you use Japanese / Chinese / Korean / Thai / Other Language.
    In FULLSCREEN look bootscreen, the other language "Starting Windows" text very big, very ugly.

bootscreen remove "Starting Windows" text for other language

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/bootscreen_delete_text.png/x/560

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:40 AM
  • [suggestion #11] Windows Journal update to Ribbon-based UI

Bill Gates say: We'll Use the Ribbon/Fluent User Interface across Windows 7.
    But why only the Paint and WordPad?
    He forget Windows Journal and some application.

Windows Journal update to Ribbon-based UI

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Windows.Journal.need.ribbon.png/x/560

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[suggestion #12] Windows PowerShell ISE update to Ribbon-based UI

Bill Gates say: We'll Use the Ribbon/Fluent User Interface across Windows 7.
    But why only the Paint and WordPad?
    He forget Windows PowerShell ISE and some application.

Windows PowerShell ISE update to Ribbon-based UI

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Windows_PowerShell_ISE_need_Ribbon.png/x/560

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:42 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1579

[suggestion #13] Windows Photo Viewer support GIF, MNG format

1. Windows Photo Viewer can't open .GIF, MNG, APNG format
    2. IE8 can't open MNG, APNG format

support required

GIF http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Interchange_Format
    MNG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-image_Network_Graphics
    APNG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animated_Portable_Network_Graphics

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:45 AM

[suggestion #6] complete remove Windows Mail from Windows 7

Now Windows Mail already can't start. It's already unsupported in win7.
    But it's still remain on the win7 (\Program Files\Windows Mail\).

If you go to the \Program Files\Windows Mail\ folder, you'll still find the Windows Mail folder and those files in them. And you can't run WinMail.exe.

Complete remove Windows Mail from Windows 7
    Please delete WinMail.exe (It can't run)
    If other files very important, please move other files to system32 folder.
    Don't put them in \Program Files\Windows Mail\ folder.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Windows.Mail.need.complete.removed.png/x/560

I happen to use Windows Mail and actually cannot stand Windows Live mail or any 3rd party knock off. Therefore I don't want them to remove functionality.
    lforbes
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:02 AM
  • I'm getting pretty close to being burned out with Windows 7 RC 7100, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Been using it extensively for 5 solid weeks now, trying to get it setup as close to my XP Pro systems as possible.  Wasn't easy but I did finally Windows 7 set up as close as I could to my XP Pro setups.  XP Pro...what can I say.  I've already stated my feelings about Windows 7 vs. XP Pro several times in this forum.  I reckon I feel like saying it again:  Windows 7, 32-bit or 64-bit, cannot even hold a candle to XP Pro, 32-bit or 64-bit.

There are only a handful of nice features that are appealing (over XP Pro) to me:  Media Center, the new Toolbar, the Gagdets, and the overall look.  That is it (everything else is just pure garbage). That is all that Windows 7 has to offer as to anything that will win over long-time XP Pro users.  As far as I'm concerned, it's not even remotely enough.  There might be a few other features that I left out, but they're no consolation at all.

The transition from all the 9x base systems to NT based XP Pro was excellent and very welcoming.  On the flip-side, the transition from XP Pro to Vista was horrible - likewise with Windows 7.

Yeah...I'm sticking wth XP Pro alright.

GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansing Speakers. Here Kitty, Kitty...that's my Kitty Kat, he's a Kat, because he is kat...kat.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:05 AM
  • The default action for pen flick left is Forward ; the default action for pen flick right is Back . Wtf?

The arrow on Back button looks like "<- " -- it points left . So why left flick is Forward , and vice versa?? It should be the other way around! No, seriously, wtf?

Regards,
    Kristaps.

it makes sense if you think of the pen as an extension of your hand.  how do you move forward while reading a book?  by grabbing the page and flicking to the left.  unless of course your language reads right to left, in which case it's the reverse.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Hi, you can add a feature for change the selected Themes every selected time?
    Like 'Personalization\desktop Background\Change picture every:'

E.g:
    Change Themes every:
                                      - 1h
                                      - On logon
                                      - 24h
                                      - one time per week

please! sorry my english is not perfect :|

Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:22 AM
  • Summary: Provide the ability to select Windows Classic theme at installation time

yes, I know, Files and Settings but why force this on us when you could ask us
    which flavor of theme we want when we install Windows?

Which Theme do you want with this install?

Windows Classic
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

see what I mean bugger bean?

Then when the install is complete Windows has the look we want.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:22 AM
  • That's nothing -- I have actually found several Win9x-era icons :D
    Regards,
    Kristaps.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:06 PM
  • trying to get it setup as close to my XP Pro systems as possible
    Why? 7 is completely different, apart from having a desktop, start menu, taskbar and files & folders. :P

Regards,
    Kristaps.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:07 PM
  •  Yes, it's be fine if I'm reading a book, but I'm using a computer :P

When you put it that way, it kinda makes sense. However, I'm using a tablet. If it was screen+finger, then it would've probably made sense from the beginning :D
    Regards,
    Kristaps.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:11 PM
  • A tablet is more like a book than a screen, so it especially makes sense on a tablet.

The pen interface uses a different model from the normal GUI.  In the normal GUI, to scroll down, for ex, you hit pgdn, or down arrow key, or click the down scroll button.  But with a pen or touch or other gesture interface, you flick UP to scroll down.  The idea is to treat the screen as a piece of paper.  If you want to see what's at the bottom of a newspaper, you don't move the paper down, do you?  You move it UP.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:01 PM
  • With Windows Classic theme and medium fonts (125%), the Alt+Tab dialog has redraw issues - the selection rectangle overlaps the selected icon, and when it moves to another icon, the part it covered isn't redrawn. This problem also exits in Vista.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Its very hard to remove the window7..after install thw window 7 ,window xp and other windows doesnt work on your work..even no any option is available..so be carefull..but its fantastic..i ask to microsoft company please create a needful software that are  important in our life and in using the computer because many32bit softwares are not support by window 7 64bit..so i request the microsoft company..and i am very thankful for such a beautifull window..thanks alot..

Royal Boy
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Still having some problems with running the RC on older computers that had XP. System specs say it supports Aero but 7 doesn't catch the latest drivers. But runs flawless on highend PCs.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

Vietnamese collation is broken from Windows XP, still broken in Windows 7. Please, fix it.

Thanks

NgocND
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:56 PM
  • I'm getting pretty close to being burned out with Windows 7 RC 7100, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Been using it extensively for 5 solid weeks now, trying to get it setup as close to my XP Pro systems as possible.  Wasn't easy but I did finally Windows 7 set up as close as I could to my XP Pro setups.  XP Pro...what can I say.  I've already stated my feelings about Windows 7 vs. XP Pro several times in this forum.  I reckon I feel like saying it again:  Windows 7, 32-bit or 64-bit, cannot even hold a candle to XP Pro, 32-bit or 64-bit.

There are only a handful of nice features that are appealing (over XP Pro) to me:  Media Center, the new Toolbar, the Gagdets, and the overall look.  That is it (everything else is just pure garbage). That is all that Windows 7 has to offer as to anything that will win over long-time XP Pro users.  As far as I'm concerned, it's not even remotely enough.  There might be a few other features that I left out, but they're no consolation at all.

The transition from all the 9x base systems to NT based XP Pro was excellent and very welcoming.  On the flip-side, the transition from XP Pro to Vista was horrible - likewise with Windows 7.

Yeah...I'm sticking wth XP Pro alright.

David -

Ok.. We get that you don't like Windows 7.

So... Like why are you still here? You keep posting essentially the same thing over and over again. Maybe you just need acknowledgement. Ok.. Thank you for telling us you hate 7 and want XP.  

You'll have to forgive us if the rest of us don't all agree with you. Some of us actually LIKE Windows 7 better than XP.

Feel free to use XP. No one's going to hold a gun to your head, force you to upgrade. There won't be any roaming goon squads at Best Buy or other computer retailers making you an offer you can't refuse. You're still free to use XP until the last bit of hardware that supports it drops dead of old age.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:27 PM

• David -

If you want to see the smoke effects rise from InfraRecorder, you need an Aero-capable O/S.  Vista or Win7.  That's the choice.

XP is not an option.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:50 PM

• Ok.. We get that you don't like Windows 7.

So... Like why are you still here? You keep posting essentially the same thing over and over again. Maybe you just need acknowledgement. Ok.. Thank you for telling us you hate 7 and want XP.  

Wolfie -

You're welcome. I don't actually hate Windows 7.  I even like it in fact.  Some of the features that I mentioned earlier brought out what was best about Windows 7 and I will miss them.  But, there were just way too much about Windows 7 that brought out too much of the worst of Windows 7.  If I hate anything it's these boobs at Microsoft for taking what is a great OS like XP Pro and totally abandoning it in a sense for this newer based Vista platform ____.  Yes...____. There was no reason for it at all other than a complete assinine marketing gimmick that ultimately failed with Vista and will continue to fail with Windows 7.

By the way, it was not my intention to run my sentiments up everyone's nose; just Microsoft's and all their puppet partners.  They (Microsoft and Co.) wanted my opinion and this is the place for it. I'm going to take every advantage and opportunity to voice that opinion.  I neglected to do that when I was testing the Vista RC's since I got so fed up with the treatment and nonsense that I had to put up with in that forum that I just shined it on and gave up.  Does that help you understand...why I am here?

I've put in a TON of effort and time in getting aquainted with Windows 7.  It wasn't all bad.  But most of it was. 

Someday I am going to be forced to stop using XP Pro.  Microsoft isn't going to support it forever.  In the meantime, I am going to test every OS that Microsoft puts out.  I can only hope that one of these day that Microsoft is going to wise up and get it right. 

Microsoft is the king of the hill for now, but that isn't going to last forever either.  Eventually, (just around the corner - I can feel it) someone's going to bust this whole monopoly that Microsoft has on this planet WIDE OPEN and Microsoft's Ivory Castle (and everybody in it) is going to crumble to the ground.  And I AM GOING TO SIT BACK AND LAUGH UNTIL I BURST AT THE SEAMS.  They deserve all the misfortune that lies in waiting for them.

This....is Good Bye.

Thanks to all the people for whatever help they were able to provide.

So long.

GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansing Speakers. Here Kitty, Kitty...that's my Kitty Kat, he's a Kat, because he is kat...kat.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:20 PM

• Ok.. We get that you don't like Windows 7.

Wolfie -

You're welcome. I don't actually hate Windows 7.  I even like it in fact.  Some of the features that I mentioned earlier brought out what was best about Windows 7 and I will miss them.  But, there were just way too much about Windows 7 that brought out too much of the worst of Windows 7.  If I hate anything it's these boobs at Microsoft for taking what is a great OS like XP Pro and totally abandoning it in a sense for this newer based Vista platform ____.  Yes...____. There was no reason for it at all other than a complete assinine marketing gimmick that ultimately failed with Vista and will continue to fail with Windows 7.

By the way, it was not my intention to run my sentiments up everyone's nose; just Microsoft's and all their puppet partners.  They (Microsoft and Co.) wanted my opinion and this is the place for it. I'm going to take every advantage and opportunity to voice that opinion.  I neglected to do that when I was testing the Vista RC's since I got so fed up with the treatment and nonsense that I had to put up with in that forum that I just shined it on and gave up.  Does that help you understand...why I am here?

I've put in a TON of effort and time in getting aquainted with Windows 7.  It wasn't all bad.  But most of it was. 

Someday I am going to be forced to stop using XP Pro.  Microsoft isn't going to support it forever.  In the meantime, I am going to test every OS that Microsoft puts out.  I can only hope that one of these day that Microsoft is going to wise up and get it right. 

Microsoft is the king of the hill for now, but that isn't going to last forever either.  Eventually, (just around the corner - I can feel it) someone's going to bust this whole monopoly that Microsoft has on this planet WIDE OPEN and Microsoft's Ivory Castle (and everybody in it) is going to crumble to the ground.  And I AM GOING TO SIT BACK AND LAUGH UNTIL I BURST AT THE SEAMS.  They deserve all the misfortune that lies in waiting for them.

This....is Good Bye.

Thanks to all the people for whatever help they were able to provide.

So long.

I've used Several adjectives/nouns (whatever) that you used, and it  caused someone here to write I was offensive and undprofessional, even though I've found several posts using the exact language. It (at first impression) is wildly inconsistent, but it must be how they've said it, or how much they've contributed in the past to make whatever they say as good as gold.
      I feel the same way about some features of vista vs XP, or win 7 vs XP. Windows search seems slower in win7 vs xp. One of my video cards, the faster one, is 23% or so faster in XP. Search MUST be better, Video Must be better, it's my only logical conclusion. It must be the way it's put together that makes people like it, I don't have a better explanation.
      My apologies in advance (yes, my status is so low here I need to obsequiate needlessly and in advance). But
       I welcome posts  like DavidLeeDavis's because who knows, 2-3% might take it as a bright idea to make something faster or easier to use.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:33 PM
  • When Align to grid is disabled and I put a icon over other, there a bug, in transparency:

Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Now see the difference

Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:01 AM
  • Summary: Provide the ability to select Windows Classic theme at installation time

What's the point of doing this at install time v. once things are running? It only takes four seconds and two clicks to do it yourself and most people (I'm guessing ~60%) aren't going to switch to either Windows Classic or Aero Basic at will. This setting is in no way mission critical or important enough to warrant at install time either, especially considering they made a goal to reduce the amount of user input in 7.

And they aren't forcing anything, it's default. Saying Aero is being forced on you is like saying things like 96 DPI, Double-click to open, and border padding being set to 4 are being forced on you. These, like Aero, might be on by default but can easily be turned off or modified.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:41 AM
  • God I hate windows 7. after 2H just format and installed XP. I've a good PC, poweful enough.
    feels like MS forcing us to switch to Mac. why they have so focuse on Themes? I thought they have learned something from failure Vista.
    ----------
    Hope XP returns
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Why the changes to WMP? The functionality of WMP 10 was much better and easier. Also-downloading codecs to run videos which are only 4 years old (Absolute Beginners series) What gives?   I really do not see much of an improvemment over Vista Sp2 in this RC version Sorry, for my everyday use it gives no real advantage Everything is very difficuult to use and the beenefits of using WMP are rapidly fading. The controls (buttons) are hard to find, the options are almost non existent, pulling up the equalizer, etc is such a pain, I might as well use something else
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Three part comment, excuse the writer's block:
    Loved The dancing people in Microsoft Plus, an option if your computer was idle for a bit. They are gone but
    the dancing waters of Vista was nice
    too
    (dancing would be better though)
    My biggest thing with Most versions post 98 (or so) is they never know when to stop everything to run the benchmark or the game.
    "Stop Dancing! I need to play now. Or something"
    But If I need to stop the game to go to my desktop and speak on the phone, I'd want my boss's animated form dancing on the aero water.
       Now that I've been merged (Thank you) This was never meant to be a comment about Win 7, especially "As-Is", it was wistfully remembering "Microsoft dancer" & inviting comments on whether extras such as the ones  "Microsoft plus" provided, and Vista integrated, were desirable (at idle time, anyway). Whatever they've decided has been "frozen", I'm sure, so excuse the interruption.
    • Changed type Chitbill Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:58 PM
    • Merged by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:07 PM Feedback
    • Edited by Chitbill Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:32 PM I've been grouped
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Sometimes taskbar's icon color detection goes wrong, and that nice on-hover glow has the wrong color . It could be nice if we could manually adjust that color in the shortcut's properties .

Regards,
    Kristaps.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:37 AM
  • And I know that some will be against this, but maybe it could be a good idea to make file extensions gray-ish. kinda like some web browsers do with the address, sans domain.
    It'd look pretty also :P
    Regards,
    Kristaps.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:40 AM
  • I used Windows7 for a week. It's very stable, faster than Vista (not XP) but something should fix in full release,

1. I'm using Thai Language Interface, I saw some language mistakes such as
    - In disk properties, unit of diskspaces(Gigabyte) was fall from "กิกะไบต์" to "กิกะ" and "ไบต์" was fall on column
    - In search indexing options, In "ตัวเลือกขั้นสูง", 2nd choice in "การตั้งค่าแฟ้ม" the word "แตกกต่าง" is wrong, the true is "แตกต่าง"
    - some words and grammas will be recheck such as "Wireless Adaptor" won't be translated to "อะแดปเตอร์ไร้สาย" but will be"อุปกรณ์ต่อพ่วงไร้สาย" or something like that.

2. I have problem in AMD's Cool'n'Quiet (AMD Powernow!) function, My Laptop using AMD Turion64x2 TL-58 I download all of applications and drivers in AMD site and try Windows Update. but I can't use this function. My Laptop's BIOS setup haven't a choice for enable/disable this function but this function still work in my Windows XP.  I was checked in power properties but nothing's happenned.

3. Disk Management will be fix, I used it for build, delete, merge , reduce/increase size of partition. A problem was shown sometime such as in reduce partition size period*(1), when I was successfully set, All wizard closed, partition space changed, but no notification for status. I wait for 1 and a half hour for operation (I saw my disk operation LED still bringing) but nothing show me how about, Unallocate space still not show. I close program and system allow it closed with no warning message I tried to open it again but it's hang. I restarted system and I saw my disk space was disappeared. I gave it back by delete all partition and rebuild it all.

I use Windows 7 RC1 build 7100 (both 32and 64bit); Readyboost, Large system cache, Backup utility functions are used.

Specification:
    Laptop Benq P41
    AMD Turion64x2 TL-58 (Replaced from AMDTurion64x2 TL-50)
    Ram Corsair Gamer 4gb (Dual Ch.) (64MB IGP-shared)
    ATI Xpress1100+SB400 Mainboard+IGP
    HDD Samsung 160gb SATA
    2 External Drives (WD Elements 1TB**+Samsung Custom External 120GB) **get problem*(1)
    Silicon Power 4gb flashdrive for Readyboost
    DSL network from Billion Bipac-7000 USB modem (Internet connected on 32bit version because of missing driver in 64bit version.)

I have some comment:

1. Audio mixer is same as Vista but it's junk. I am a sound developement and I think older style is the best.
    2. UAC was great in security but it's alway makes me angry because I alway "Run as Administrator" everytime I use program for fully use with no trouble such as "Cannot save file" "Cannot connect to device".

PS. but I still love in XP system, please make it return.
    • Edited by kmon2000x Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:30 AM
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

it isn't exactly clear I think what the contents of this thread is. You are having a problem with a game // screensaver I understand that was OK on Vista?

I don't know if it's ok on this part of the forum, see if you can place the question in a more appropriate part of Microsoft Forums.

Ciao,
    Sabine
    ---Just a HP Mini Netbook running Windows 7 RC ---
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:53 PM
  • And I know that some will be against this, but maybe it could be a good idea to make file extensions gray-ish. kinda like some web browsers do with the address, sans domain.
    It'd look pretty also :P

Actually, I think this is a really good idea. I'd also say I think at this point making extensions hidden by default is a big mistake. It just makes it easier for malware authors to trick naive users. It can still be an option, but I think by this point in history, most people are aware and comfortable with the concept of extensions and it's better to have them displayed by default. Making the extension visually different from the rest of the filename in explorer, such as making it grey, is even better as the extension will still be visible as an extra verification of the filetype and also highlighting which is the real extension, making it harder to fake an extension.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

well I think the part of animated themes isn't ready yet. Or no such themes are made yet. But I don't believe it's discontinued.

Windows Vista used "theme files" and 7 uses "theme packs", these are different formats so they are not compatible.

Its only a matter of time when the RTM is on shelves for such themes to be back in Windows 7 again.

Ciao,
    Sabine
    ---Just a HP Mini Netbook running Windows 7 RC ---
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:22 PM
  • I'm still having serious issues with Wifi connectivity in Windows 7. It's improved somewhat with the RC over the beta but still happens often enough to be very irritating. When recovering from sleep or hibernation, sometimes the WiFi adepter will not be able to access the Internet. There seems to be some kind of bug with DNS resolution as there is no problem accessing the local network, but the internet fails as all addresses remain unresolved. Running the troubleshooter often successfully identifies a DNS issue as the problem, but then the troubleshooter neither fixes the problem nor proposes any useful solutions, so it's rather useless.

Sometimes disconnecting from the WiFi network and reconnecting will fix the problem but often this won't work. Usually disabling the network adapter then re-enabling it will fix the problem, but occasionally its intractable and a reboot is required.

Also, the WiFi icon in the notification area doesn't provide any visual indication if the internet is working or not. You need to open up the networking control panel to see if internet access is working or not. The icon shows WiFi connectivity and signal strength but it would be helpful if it also showed if Internet connectivity is present or not so when you get a webpage timeout you have a quick way of knowing where the problem is. Either an overlay with an internet icon or even different colours: yellow = local network connectivity, green = Internet connectivity, red = WiFi signal but some serious network problem.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:24 PM
  • I'd still really like to see improvements to the text provided on the taskbar. I use the group when full option on the taskbar as I find this much more efficient to use than having to click twice every time I want to switch a window and I also appreciate having window title on the taskbar buttons to more quickly locate which button controls which window. However, in Explorer, for instance, if I check the show full path in title bar then I can only see the same beginning of the path on each button without being able to tell which window belongs to each. If I uncheck that option, then I can't tell the difference between folders with the same name in different tree branches (or the network). It would be better if the middle of the name was removed and the beginning and and was displayed so that both relevant pieces of information: folder name and path root, are visible simultaneously.

I've also noticed that the tooltip that comes up is limited to 2 lines of text and a certain maximum width, so if the path is very long the end is truncated. It would be nice if the full title could be visible at all, times, especially if there was an option to have it always visible above the thumbnail preview without requiring you to move to each and pause to have the tooltip come up.

Speaking of which, it would be EXTREMELY nice to have an option (even if it's just a registry key) to set the delay time before the tooltip comes up so that I could make them come up faster and not waste so much time waiting around for tooltips to appear so I can find my window.

Thumbnails can be useful but in many cases there's just not enough visual distinction between windows for thumbnails to destinguish between them. A combination of thumbnails with a more thoughful approach to text labels would make things much more efficient. Even having the ability to choose per application if I can get thumbnail previews, or instead get a text list (such as you get if Aero is disabled or there are too many windows to fit all the thumbnails in the screen).

Thanks!
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hello,

OK, we have the RC now, so no big changes wll be implemented I think, but what I would highly appreciate to have would be the option to make incremental/differential backups. I like the new backup feature and it makes it obsolete having 3rd party backup software for clients/laptops - just out of the box backups on network drives ...

Windows 7 looks very good to me. It is this kind of OS I can recommend to customers being more productive, efficient and organized. Good ideas have been worked out and have realized straight forward.

Thanks,
    Rainer
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:57 PM
  • After 10 failed attempts at trying to install the RC on my 2.5 year old computer, I have to say Windows 7 has been a very disappointing experience. After all the media hype around this supposed messiah of an OS that would single handedly save PCs from the evil claws of Steve Jobs, and it turns out any hardware older than 2 years gets no support. If this RC really is any indication of the final product, I am going to hold off on the purchase and find ways to test the product on my machine before making any decisions.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:45 PM
  • I know that post I wrote above was supposed to be my Swan Song...

But, Prodaroda -

I have to say something about this....

10 failed attemps on a 2.5 year old machine?  No support for any hardware older than 2 years?  What are you talking about?  All my hardware is almost 4 years old and I had no problems at all installing Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).  Believe me, none of the issues that I had were even remotely hardware related.

Sounds like you have some serious hardware/configuration conflicts.  There are people having sucessful installations of Windows 7 on much older systems than mine.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:21 PM
  • WMP12 dual monitor problem:

GPU: Diamond ATI Radeon 2600XT HD
    GPU Driver: ATI 9.5

here is the bug:

two monitors, main one is the PC monitor (SyncMaster 2253BW) and the secondary is the HDTV (Samsung series 6).

now when moving WMP12 window to the HDTV and then enter it in Full Screen mode (while video is being played of course), a simple mouse click on my PC Monitor desktop will disable WMP12 full screen.

and this only happens on the PC monitor desktop, running IE, Firefox or anything won't disable WMP12 full screen on the HDTV.

Windows Photo Viewer dual monitor problem:

Why does Slideshow only works on a main display?

why can't i move Photo Viewer to the secondary monitor then start slideshow there? if i do that in Win7 RC the secondary display will turn all black and the main one will start the slideshow.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:52 PM
  • I'm using bigger letters because this needed to be in Vista, but after two service packs, it's still not there.

There is no Eject button once you've opened a removable drive.
    There should be one in the Task Pane .
    There should be one in the right-click menu .
    There isn't.

And yes, there is plenty of room.
    Regards,
    Kristaps.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I will insist every time I can: open a folder with many images and/or movies is a zen exercise. You have to have a lot of patient while the bar fills EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE FOLDER, even if you have not added, deleted or modified a sigle file.

I really miss the old thumbs.db in every folder. The actual system is really bad.

By the way, if you open a folder with many movies, you surely can't see the thumbnail of a lot of its. For a reason Windows Explorer always shows icons for several movies instead of thumbs (and it will be done for avi, mpg, wmv, mov or any kind of movie).
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Dunno about you, but this folder opened instantly with all the thumbs and everything:

Regards,
    Kristaps.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:59 PM
  • My install of Windows decides to throw out old thumbnails every 12 hours or so, forcing them to get regenerated whenever I open a video folder. Kind of annoying.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:11 PM
  • When in Regedit on Win7 I can't tell what folder is the open one because there doesn't seem to be a open or closed folder image, just the same one for both.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:15 AM
  • When in Regedit on Win7 I can't tell what folder is the open one because there doesn't seem to be a open or closed folder image, just the same one for both.

This bug exists in Vista as well. It drives me NUTS! I hate trying to figure out what folder I have open.
    lforbes
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:09 AM

This bug exists in Vista as well. It drives me NUTS! I hate trying to figure out what folder I have open.
    lforbes

It's not a bug.  They just made it more Explorer-like.  You know.  Just find what you're looking for on the bottom information bar.  Easy.  Convenient.

Monday, June 8, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Yes, this is not a bug. Is just another thing that worked very well in XP and Microsoft wanted to destroy, with no reason at all.
    For me, the list of this kind of thing is ever growing, and I find more and more examples every day.

Past this, another bug I just found:
    I get RC1 7100 (English) and install it. The system is full english, perfect, I like it that way.
    But, my sister wanted to see how the system would like in our native language, and I downloaded the language pack and installed it.
    Reboot, ok, the system now have just one or other words in english, for sure I think they will fix it before the final version, no problem.
    But, after she saw it, I wanted the system back in english, and unninstaled the language pack.
    Reboot.
    System is not full english anymore. While booting, I don´t see "Starting Windows" and at logon, I don´t see "Welcome", but instead, windows is still showing this two sentences in my native language (the very same one that is NOT in my system anymore).
    Monday, June 8, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Hiya

Unfortunately for me Windows 7 looks like a 'bug fixed' release of Windows Vista with possibly more bugs! Here is what I didn't like:

1. The window shake thing should have some sort of a nice transition/animation when other windows 'fall back' down to the task bar. When shaking it again, the current window loses focus and so you lose the grip on that window which is utterly annoying.

2. I *HATE* the User Access Control thing that pops up when you're about to do something!!! I thought that's GONE since Vista was much hated because of the gazillion questions that are popped up at you. Can't you learn anything from OS X!?

3. I *HATE* the thousand and one icons you find in the Control Panel view. Much of these do the same thing which is ever more confusing. Wastes a lot of times trying to hunt through. Please again, learn from Mac OS X's System Preferences! It's a highly simplified interface which works amazingly well.

4. The show desktop button at the edge is a waste of space and effort. It's counterintuitive. Please do something like 'expose' in Mac OS X.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:07 PM

• I will insist every time I can: open a folder with many images and/or movies is a zen exercise. You have to have a lot of patient while the bar fills EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE FOLDER, even if you have not added, deleted or modified a sigle file.

I really miss the old thumbs.db in every folder. The actual system is really bad.

By the way, if you open a folder with many movies, you surely can't see the thumbnail of a lot of its. For a reason Windows Explorer always shows icons for several movies instead of thumbs (and it will be done for avi, mpg, wmv, mov or any kind of movie).

Dr Gerry:

I think I recall your mentioning using K-Lite codec pack.  There are some issues with Win7 and Thumbnail generation.  Their FAQ says:

Q: I am not getting thumbnails for .mkv and .hdmov files on Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100

A: This is a bug in Windows 7. A proper solution/workaround has not yet been found at this time.

Also, during installation there are options to enable some thumbnail stuff.  Did you?  Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I don't see any way to un-configure that without totally re-installing K-Lite.  Give that a try.  BTW, there's a new MegaPack update ver 4.8.9 on the web now.  (Applies over v4.8.5).     :)

Monday, June 8, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Not sure if I should post this here or in the application compatibility forum, but I think it would be nice if closing an open mail in Outlook from a taskbar thumbnail behaved the same as when you were closing an open explorer window. When you close an open explorer window the other thumbnails remain displayed allowing you to close many windows very quickly, but in outlook all the thumbnails disappear and you need to hover over the pinned outlook button again to close another window. I can understand it if the window needed to prompt you to save changes, but if the email closes with no further prompting this feature would be much more useful if the remaining thumbnails remained displayed.

Monday, June 8, 2009 4:03 PM
  • As the thread OP states, this does not require a response, however I would like to bring an issue to your attention:

I am using Outlook 2007 SP2 on Windows 7 64-bit RC Build 7100. This is running on a Dell Latitude E6400. I typically hibernate my laptop without rebooting, since it's much faster to come back up.

I started noticing that my e-mail was only indexed from two weeks ago, and that lots of items were pending indexing. I finally ended up closing all my programs and rebooting my computer, and now it has started indexing e-mail again. I do not believe that files were affected, only e-mail.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

http://trevorsullivan.wordpress.com
    Trevor Sullivan Systems Engineer OfficeMax Corporation
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:19 PM
  • The tab order in Open and Save dialogs is broken - the column headers in file list receive focus after the file list itself (and before the filename field), requiring Shift+Tab twice to get from the filename field to the file list. This same problem was in Vista.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:27 PM
  • The tab order in Open and Save dialogs is broken - the column headers in file list receive focus after the file list itself (and before the filename field), requiring Shift+Tab twice to get from the filename field to the file list. This same problem was in Vista.

++

This is kind of annoying, but I've learned to deal with it.
    Trevor Sullivan Systems Engineer OfficeMax Corporation
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Dunno about you, but this folder opened instantly with all the thumbs and everything:

Regards,
    Kristaps.

Thanks. Can I go to work at your home?.......

@derosnec‌:

I will insist every time I can: open a folder with many images and/or movies is a zen exercise. You have to have a lot of patient while the bar fills EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE FOLDER, even if you have not added, deleted or modified a sigle file.

Dr Gerry:

I think I recall your mentioning using K-Lite codec pack.  There are some issues with Win7 and Thumbnail generation. 
    Their FAQ says:

Q: I am not getting thumbnails for .mkv and .hdmov files on Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100

A: This is a bug in Windows 7. A proper solution/workaround has not yet been found at this time.

Also, during installation there are options to enable some thumbnail stuff.  Did you?  Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I don't see any way to un-configure that without totally re-installing K-Lite.  Give that a try.  BTW, there's a new MegaPack update ver 4.8.9 on the web now.  (Applies over v4.8.5).     :)

Thanks. I don't installed k-lite since I use W7 RC and I have this problem. I downloaded and installed the last version but the problem wasn't fixed.

Anyway, the "search" on the pics folders have nothing to do with k-lite. Why Windows Explorer needs to do this every time?
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Another: the Windows Live Mail is a bug (more a bug than an application) since the beta times. I really miss the old Outlook Express: simple and bug free.

Will Microsoft fix the "unclose" error? 8 of every 10 times you use WLM it remains unclosed when you stop it.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:41 PM
  • I tried to install windows 7 RC on my eee 1002ha. I get black sreen on bootup and the Intel Chipset update proposed by windows update does not work.

I've found this answer in EEEuser.com forums but I think microsoft should fix this by the release of windows 7 final no?
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=58307
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Scenario:
    User arrives at office and docks their laptop. They turn it on and go to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. They come back and log in. They wait for programs in the startup folder to start, in this case it is only Outlook. They wait.

Suggestion:
    Let user specifiy an account that can auto logon at startup, and  for security purposes it will startup with the desktop locked.

New Scenario Post Suggestion:
    User arrives at office and docks their laptop. They turn it on and go to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. They come back and log in, and do not wait, system is ready to go.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I've been using the Windows 7 RC for the past two weeks on a brand new HP 6930p with a 64gb Samsung SSD.

Microsoft, I think you guys have a winner with this one. I'll spare you the Vista criticisms you are likely sick of, but suffice it to say that this release handles just about every one of them.

So far it's been fast, compatible, and very stable. It seems a little snappier than even XP, which is amazing. The new Taskbar is so so much cleaner and more efficient. So far I like it better than the dock on my Mac. Even the installation was a pleasure. It took 1/4 the time of Vista and around 1/2 the time of XP.

Considering this is an RC, I can't wait to see the finished product. Great Job!
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:01 PM
  • What I noticed is that everything is more far apart. There is just a lot of space. I mean, at low resolutions, Start Menu will reach the top of the screen. File transfer dialog is also pretty big. Now this ain't a problem for those with touch screen monitors or bad vision or high resolutions, the rest might be happy with more compaction. Most likely, this won't happen, but it would be nice to have an option for a more compact interface where everything is closer together. For example file transfer dialog can probably shrink to half its size and still hold all the information.

Speaking of the copy dialog ones get when copying or transferring files, once I got one without really any information on it and not even a functioning progress bar - that is useless really.

Otherwise, guys, work on the bugs, hardware bugs and problems, stability, and performance. :)
    XP SP3 & 7 RC x64 | C2D T8300 @ 2.4 Ghz | Intel PM965 + ICH8 Chipset | 4 GB DDR2-667 RAM | NV 8600M GT w. 256MB DDR2 | Patriot WARP V2 64GiB SSD | Realtek HD Audio | Counter Strike: Source Addict
    • Edited by Udedenkz Monday, June 8, 2009 9:07 PM tables? I said tables, I don't know what I was thinking. Tables....
    Monday, June 8, 2009 9:06 PM
  • I may have something to improve Windows 7..

I always do a clean install of Windows, when I have disconnected all the other hard drives. This is what I also did for 7. After installation etc I started to HotPlug my other hard drives running 7. It all went well, until the next reboot. I checked what went wrong. I found this:

The harddrive where Windows 7 was installed was seen as P1 in my bios. An other harddrive was seen as P0. As soon as I connected this harddrive I got a boot device error after POST.

Since eSata is becoming more common these days, I guess it would be very nice if I can keep a eSata drive connected during startup. No matter what hard drive I installed Windows 7 on. In XP or Vista I have never experienced this problem. Possible cause the boot manager?

I got it to work now, but I think this could be an enhancement.

Also I am missing a native TeamLan option or something. On my motherboard (dfi lanparty ut x58-t3eh8) there are two network cards available, but the driver today still is 32bit (last time I checked).

I also noticed I can't make my own toolbar anymore at the top of my desktop by dragging a folder to it. Not very important but many people I know use this for quickly accessing their favourite programs / games.

But so far I am very pleased to see what Windows 7 has become since the first released build.  My games work flawlessly even though I use a x64 version.

And I am especially happy with the transparent windows XP with the virtual machine. This will convince my employer and our customers to step up to Windows 7. Only shortcuts should be placed on a place in the startmenu where it is easier to find for the 'normal' users.

Keep up the good work. I can't (but i will :) ) wait for the official release. In the meanwhile I keep on trying and testing out this version.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 9:22 PM
  • one feature I'd like to see is a return to film strip view. That will make viewing photos much better. (Some just want to view photos, and not deal with making minor edits, or files with tags etc.

Photos can be placed on a row on the bottom, the controls and then the picrture.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Anthony

It’s an absolutely brilliant product but a number of my requests, made over several years, have still been ignored. This seems to be my last chance until Window 8 is in conception.

1. A new feature that lists all Control Panel installation defaults, with a Reset ‘button‘.
    2. Allow colours to be added to file names, e.g. right-click menu > Color > and choose Grey, Mauve or Yellow (I know Black, Blue, Green and Red are currently reserved).  This feature would allow an extra Sort or Group By index.
    3. Snipping Tool feature to allow text to be typed immediately, rather than having to load a program (say, Paint) to edit the picture.

Thank you.

1. Good idea.
    2. Not sure about that, but I think the selected color should match the window color.
    3. YES!. Just a simple text entry. No need to have all the fonts and bloat the simple program.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:36 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1811

[suggestion #1] keep Menu color layout consistency for Windows 7

Problem:
    1)
    to improve Appliaction Menu color. (discriminated Appliaction Menu color very difficult, looked vague.)
    There is no consistency between the Start Menu and the Appliaction Menu.
    To keep Start Menu and Appliaction Menu color style consistency, like Windows XP.

2)
    Windiows Explorer Menu has 2 color layout styles in Windows7.
    Please keep color layout consistency for Menu.
    Why the 'Include in libary' used another color layout?

keep Menu color layout consistency for Windows 7

view screenshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/keep_Menu_color_layout_consistency.png/x/560

I'd rather have the new style then the older XP one. 
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:39 AM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1622

[suggestion #3] keep UI theme style consistency for Windows 7

keep UI theme style consistency for Menu bar & Tool bar.
    like Windows XP theme style's consistency.

keep UI theme style consistency for Windows 7.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/UI_Style_Consistency.png/x/700

+1
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Most screens today do not need a "screen saver"
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:41 AM
  • I installed the Windows 7 RC as a 64-bit on my Vostro 1510 to see if I a 64-bit OS would work first of all, and see if it would give me any more power. (My Previous OS, still on another partition, is Vista 32-bit.) Was I ever in for a pleasant surprise. Not only does the 64-bit processing work perfectly on my Intel Core 2 Duo T7250, but it appears that my hard drive is being read 3-5 times faster now than in Vista 32-bit. An example: Copying the setup files onto my flashdrive to install my system (3.05 GB) in Windows Vista was like a 50 minute ordeal. Transfer rate stayed pretty consistently below 1.2 MB/sec. Copying the 32 bit Windows 7 setup files onto my flash drive (2.37 GB) from inside Windows 7 took I expect, less than ten minutes, with transfer rates of over 6 MB/sec. (I actually walked away while before it finished copying. Unlike Vista, which told me something like a several hour estimate when the copying started, Windows 7 told me it was a 15 minute estimate, and when I walked away before it finished, it said 3 minutes left.
    • Edited by jeh_it Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:09 AM file size detail had been omitted
    • Merged by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:32 AM Feedback
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Media Center, WMP Bug ?
    If I insert an Audio CD it downloads the cover album from web but no album or songs name. In Vista same Audio CD works fine - I get all the data about it.
    Tested with 6 differents Audio CD.

Also - Media Center - it's a little bit difficult to navigate in the menu in some conditions - seems too sensitive - it takes 2 menus instead of one when I press the remote up or down.

Also - Media Center - It has an SPACE in the menu - probably to show it's the end of the menu, but as you move the menu from CENTER in XP or Vista to DOWN in some cases I don't know what comes next, due to this space.

Also - Media Center - please brings back videos on the install disc to properly set MC. Each time I want to set it properly it want to connect to internet to download files and videos. And I DON'T HAVE AN ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:13 AM

Chris -

True... But they do come in handy - when keeping prying eyes away from sensetive data while you're AFK.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Since Windows 7 RC we have problems with the Program Compatibility Assistant. After our installation we get the message "This program might not have installed correctly" form the Program Compatibility Assistant. We get the message with installed applications too. This is a new behaviour. With Windows 7 Beta we don't get these messages with the same software. We can reproduce the different behaviour with Microsoft setup programmes:

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=de&familyid=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3 dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B2C0358-915B-4EB5-9B1D-10E506DA9D0F&displaylang=en NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

After the .net-installation we get the message "This program might not have installed correctly". When you select the "Reinstall using recommended settings" option, our application will be configured to run in vista mode. This is not our target. This is a big problem for us, because we have many applications which get the message since Windows 7 RC.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Why the new O.S. As Tim Allen says" more power harharr". Of course you need new hardware to use the power.
    Surprisingly slow but with all the bells and whistles I would expect that.
    Consumers want Bling We want speed without redundancy. Somewhere in between the O.S. has to live.
    If it gets good reviews lots of harware will be sold. Plan on new hardware that the O.S. likes* because it
     looks like it is here to stay.

*Has tuner card issues, video driver issues
    also issues with onboard audio.Compatiblity mode
    slows things down.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:50 AM
  • I found another strange bug and don't know for sure if it's a windows problem: I have pinned Firefox to the taskbar. Every time I start it the first time after a boot, it will open in a new "tab" on the bar instead of expanding the existing button.

Only when I close Firefox and reopen it, it opens correctly with the existing button. Btw, I'm using FF 3.5 beta4, so maybe it could be a FF bug, but I don't believe that, as the taskbar behaviour is managed by the OS itself (IMO).

Second issue:
    That icon for your language and keyboard settings in the taskbar (don't know english name), it disappears when I rightclick certain tray symbols, look:

It disappears only at rightclick on realtek, avira and that white flag for problem solutions.
    (It reappears again when I quit the menu.)

Third thing:
    The prefetch files, especially those in the ReadyBoot folder, get very fragmented over time. That wouldn't be a problem as I can easily defragment them. But after a defrag, these "trace[number].fx"-files will quickly have about 40 fragments each!
    So my question: Why do these files fragment so rapidly although I don't change my behaviour or something like that? Is that a bug or is it somehow more efficient for Windows to have them fragmented??
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:38 AM

lforbes

It's not a bug.  They just made it more Explorer-like.  You know.  Just find what you're looking for on the bottom information bar.  Easy.  Convenient.

So they designed it like this on purpose? That really makes no sense to me but then I have a lot of shaking of the head on things that weren't broken with XP that they broke on purpose for Vista/Windows 7. In Explorer in XP and in Regedit in XP BOTH have different folders for open and closed icons.  The registry ones are more obvious.

Yes there is the information bar but when working in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID it is FAR easier to see a folder than to try and find the GUID in the list of a thousand GUIDS.
    lforbes
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:16 PM

And they don't need fancy background images, fancy see through GUI's or floating menus either, however they are pretty and that I guess is the point.
    lforbes
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:19 PM

lforbes

So they designed it like this on purpose? That really makes no sense to me but then I have a lot of shaking of the head on things that weren't broken with XP that they broke on purpose for Vista/Windows 7. In Explorer in XP and in Regedit in XP BOTH have different folders for open and closed icons.  The registry ones are more obvious.

Yes there is the information bar but when working in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID it is FAR easier to see a folder than to try and find the GUID in the list of a thousand GUIDS.
    lforbes

Yesitisfareasiertoreadarunonalphanumericstatusbarthanmerelyglancingatabluehighlightoropenedfoldericon.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:54 PM

lforbes

lforbes

Yesitisfareasiertoreadarunonalphanumericstatusbarthanmerelyglancingatabluehighlightoropenedfoldericon.

OT (sort of) Do comments matter anymore? Do WE (to quote wolfie) matter? consider
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22windows+7%22+%2Brc2&form=IE8SRC&src=IE-SearchBox
    and ask yourself, what are the beautiful people doing today?
    IOW, knowing I can't afford to have an NDA agreement, where's the semi-official forum?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:02 PM

• Anymore?   We will need to think about that awhile.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:24 PM
  • "But in my view many settings we like to play around with nowdays are too hiden."

My friend, you are sooo right! It took me only 3 hours to build this computer for Windows 7, but after 3 weeks of using Windows 7, I still have a problem of finding my around and trying to remember where is what. Old clasic style Control Panel acted like a sign "you are here now", and from there I know where to go. I miss that.

Everything is so fragmented. Windows 7 is like a sport car, it runs fast and good, but I love my old SUV station wagon (read XP). Anyway it is still to early to make the final decision - 7 or XP. Good luck to you.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Just want to bring attention to a minor bug:
    Hovering the mouse over the 'X' (close button) in any Device Properties dialog will make the 'X' start to blink rapidly. This is true in Vista as well.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:28 AM
  • <Continuation of long thread Have Comments about Windows 7 RC?  (Part 3) >

To all forum users:

Please use this thread to note any comments that you have about Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC). Do not use this thread for any specific question or issue that you are having - just for comments or feedback. For questions/issues that require an answer, create a new thread.

Thanks

-Tony Mann
    Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums, Windows Client Forum Owner

I hope Microsoft take notice of the pattern here

there are more and more complains about Win7 and they aument exponentialy... why?? because you have to fix all the bugs and take notice of the things that werent broken in XP so they don't need a fix in Vista (much less in Win7)

Regards

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

when you use WMP in that 'Now Playing' View, where you can open the Enhancements Menu seperately in it's own Window, is there any chance for the future that we can lock these windows together? 

The transparent outer ring is great, the windows look great. Just make it a bit more coherent and let me stick my windows together. You'd have that powerful library view and the easy, smart, flat and small player view. 

Also, could you maybe add a function that docks it in the sidebar, so I can pull it out of there any time I like? Generally, Windows should have a space where you can simply stuff things in, they get minimized and can be pulled out at any time. You should be able to just drag&drop a picture from a website into this space, also files and text. So when you are done surfing the net, you can check what you found and categorize it. This would make the whole "come-and-get-what-you want" sensation of the Windows 7 OS experience much more fluid.
    Like opening the fridge and simply take whatever you want and then decide what you cook out of it. That could be quite an inspiring experience as well.

What do you think?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Problem 1. - IE 8 in InPrivate mode - sometimes if I have more tabs opened - 10 or more - takes all the sistem memory, and even more. Also does not remembers last "save" folder. If I download from a page in a folder, from 10 pages in 3 I have to set againn the path to the folder where I wand to downlaod files.

Problem 2. - System Restore - please set a decent limit for it. In XP I was able to select a limit for it, in Vista and 7 I can only disable on different partition, but I cannot set a maximum space for it to use on selected partition. So I have the only remaining choice to disable it on all partitions. If my system partition has 100 Gb - I can get 20 Gb of space waisted by System Restore. That means more than the operating system and all programs installed on it ( 15 Gb ). It's more convenient at this size to use an backup than an system restore...
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Cristi -

re: Problem 2:

Actually.. You can set how much space is used by System Restore.

1.) Open the Control Panel and click on All Control Panel Items
    2.) You should see the standard properties window that opens when you select Properties on the Computer icon in the Start Menu or on the desktop (should you have that enabled).
    3.) On the left side, you should see a number of UAC protected options - the last should be "Advanced System Options".  Click it.
    4.) Click on the System Protection tab.
    5.) Toward the middle, you should see a list of all hard drives/partitions available on your system.
    6.) Find your system partition/drive and click on it once.
    7.) Click on the Configure button just below the box with the drives.
    8.) You should now see a slider bar near the bottom of the dialog box.
    9.) Adjust to your heart's content.

Btw, the default space allocated for System Restore is 5%...
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:12 PM
  • One nice feature in Devices and Printers is the ability to set the default printer for different networks so that the default printer changes as you move around on your laptop.

This worked brilliantly in the beta version but in RC seems to be broken. For one thing I'm using the Hamachi VPN application and it keeps adding the Hamachi network to the list of networks for choosing default printers. I'm able to remove it from the list but if I make any other changes it comes back. There needs to be a way to set a network to either have no default printer, or when removed to stay removed unless it is manually re-added.

More importantly, the default printer indicator in Devices and Printers does not change when I connect to different networks. When I go to Manage default printers, it correctly shows which network I'm connected to and which printer is supposed to be default, but this is not reflected in the main window. It's not clear if it's just the indicator that isn't being updated or if the actual default priner isn't being updated. I've got conflicting results when printing from different applications. But it's definitely not working as it should.

Also, this concept needs to be added to wired network adapter settings. I have several instances of different networks that require static IP and DNS configurations but only 1 static set of parameters can be entered into the adapter. There needs to be a way to save multiple profiles for different networks then select among them in the network control panel or directly from the network notificaiton icon.

There should also be an easier way to set up precidents of different network cards, VPNs, etc. This can be done but it requires going into the tools/advanced menu in the adapter control panel. It's quite hidden and unless you know it's there you probably won't find it. In particular, if a gigabit ethernet connection is available, it's easy to have both a gigabit and wireless conenction to the same network. So there should be an easy way to tell Windows I want to use the faster gigabit connection.

Even better might be if Windows 7 had a way to automatically choose the fastest active connection to the network, whichever that may be. EVEN better is if it could automatically bridge multiple connections to the same network to increase the overall bandwidth. If I'm connected over a 10/100 wired connection and a 130 mbps 802.11n connection, if it could combine them to ive me a 230 mbps connection, that would be ideal.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:36 PM

• Also, this concept needs to be added to wired network adapter settings. I have several instances of different networks that require static IP and DNS configurations but only 1 static set of parameters can be entered into the adapter. There needs to be a way to save multiple profiles for different networks then select among them in the network control panel or directly from the network notificaiton icon.

Surprising limitation, isn't it?  It seems the static parameters will apply on a per-network basis.  Nope.  One set per adapter, that's all you get.

Even better might be if Windows 7 had a way to automatically choose the fastest active connection to the network, whichever that may be. EVEN better is if it could automatically bridge multiple connections to the same network to increase the overall bandwidth. If I'm connected over a 10/100 wired connection and a 130 mbps 802.11n connection, if it could combine them to ive me a 230 mbps connection, that would be ideal.

Wow.  Good idea!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:56 PM
  • I hope I have posted this correctly

On the whole i love W7, especially the enchanded desktop and that it is usable on 1gb ram

However I really struggle with the search function, as a power user I find it a mess (I dont doubt its great for new users and mac users), my home PC has 6 drives and structured folder system, all i need to be able to do is right click on a drive or a folder and search from that point onwards. I dont need random large pics of what ever apearing from random locations around my computer, I am happy with detailed view.

From a support point of view my users often give me mem sticks or ext usb drives with 10,000s of files on (there personal music / pics and work files) and asked to find a specific file and this is so much easier by being able to right click search.

• Edited by Eric Pisch Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:51 PM enhance post
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:50 PM
  • Everything has been great for me so far. However, I don't have too much experience with the new UAC. It's not because I think it doesn't have a use on my machine, but I am using Comodo Firewall Pro that has a function similar to UAC. It also remembers my choices for programs which I allow access. So why have two UACs on, y'know? Anyway, there are a couple of things that annoy me here and there that are different from windows XP (speaking of which, Windows 7 64-bit pretty much replaced XP for me. I just use XP for the obscure game that won't run on 7).

However, one thing I'd like to see changes is the double-clicking to expand a directory in the navigation pane. I know this was present in Vista as well, but it annoys me constantly. I'd like to have the same thing in XP where you just single click a directory to expand it in the nav pane. Perhaps as an option? It would also be nice if we could rearrange the order of Categories in the nav pain for ourselves.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Another minor issue I run into is that sometimes if I right-click on something, it doesn't select the item first.  I have to left-click, then right-click.

Here's one case where I can repro about 1/4 of the time. 

Start -> type 'Network' and click on Network and Sharing Center.  Then click on the Adapter settings. 

Right-click on the various adapters.  About 1/4 of the time for me it doesn't select it first.  For example, I don't get the Properties option.  Other times over the same adapter I do.  So it's hit or miss.  It's as if the 'select item' event isn't firing before it shows the right-click menu list.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:32 PM
  • @OWScott:

I also wondered about this strange behaviour (btw, it works in general, not only in network connections), but today I found out:
    When the file is not selected and you rightclick into this baby blue box around the item, it may be like a rightclick on empty space if its too near on the border. Look: Only in the green (imaginary) box, the rightclick is correct; else not.

This is good for situations where you have plenty of files and want to click onto the background, but it bothers me, too.

Another issue:

After Stand-by (on RAM), the Cool and Quiet needs about 85 seconds after the appearing of the desktop to work again. In that time, the CPU works at full speed.
    This occurs always after the RAM stand-by.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:35 PM
  • I miss a detailed search function. If it is there, I can't found it (so it is not as intuitive as it should be). I miss the old an loved "find a text into the files".

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Copied from another post of mine:
    <copypasta>

The search box in Windows 7 will allow you to search for anything, not just using the visible options. Below are how it distinguishes between queries:

Moonshine
    This will return any file that has "Moonshine" in the file name, metadata, or contents.

Name:Moonshine
    If you only want files with "Moonshine" in the name.

Content:Moonshine
    To search exclusively for files with "Moonshine" in the contents.

Other examples:
    Datecreated:thisweek
    Author:Pompadour
    Tag:Windows
    Extension:zip (ext:zip works, too!)

</copypasta>

I have a docx file with the word "forklift" in it, all I need to do to find it (based on the fact this word is in the content) is type "forklift" into the search box in the top-right of Explorer. Search is still as powerful as ever, there just seems to be no UI for some obscure reason.

----

» Clicking on WMP12's media controls make the main application window inactive.
    » CTRL+LMB doesn't open links in a new window as it should in the Control Panel.
    » Copy shouldn't bother users prompting to overwrite system files (desktop.ini, thumbs.db, if present).
    » Links cannot be pinned to IE8 x64.
    » When Explorer is set to single-click some old open/save dialogs have a delay between a click and its response that isn't
    » present in Explorer anymore.

» How IE8's jumplist determines which window to open a link in is confusing. It's not always the newest window or not the last used. At very least when the Taskbar is showing multiple windows, each should act independent.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Please Windows 7 Producer and Community Manager,

I have a suggestion, I guess many have asked before, but it is definitely worth discussing.

Me personally and many other people who are into working with the PC very often, are upset about Windows Versions - this is because
    the default Windows Versions want to do everything so easy as possible - that implies that everything has to be packed with blinking hint-bubbles and security warnings - this is annoying for me and even for "advanced home users"
    Well I am just a gamer and not someone who is an true computer expert, but I tell you, there are many of my kind.

What I request is simple and guess isn't hard to realize!

Release Windows in different configuration - a LIGHT or a GAMER VERSION  (a version placed before HOME BASIC, HOME PREMIUM, STUDENT, BUSINESS, ENTERPRISE, ULTIMATE - which is to many anyway) - being a competition for Linux and Small & Free OS

Do you know, how many people are looking for Programms and Mods for Making Windows a smaller and lighter OS (Windows Black Editions...) - without UAC, and many other things (it's up to you :) )
    What shall I do, if I want small and fast Windows without Aero Surface, without needing 10 gig harddrive, without tons of widgets, without bells and whistles and maybe it could even run on old and slow PC's !!  -> BRING THE LINUX USERS ON YOUR SIDE

A second idea is, letting the people chose before the Windows installation, whether the standart configuration or in an advanced mode, which components of windows shall be installed. (This idea would include the fact, that advanced users and gamers prefer the ultimate versions - I don't know why, maybe because of the name ;) )

My request is definitly worth discussing - you can win the hearts of a long unattended group of users - (and don't forget their force! they own all the PC and Online Journals/Portals ;) )

Well I guess that my post is hardly changing anything, but I still hope.

It's up to you...

(I'm sorry, this post ought to be posted in the Windows 7 Comments Threat)
    • Edited by bambamfox Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:38 PM wrong threat?
    • Merged by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:55 PM Feedback
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:34 PM
    <copypasta>

The search box in Windows 7 will allow you to search for anything, not just using the visible options. Below are how it distinguishes between queries:

Moonshine
    This will return any file that has "Moonshine" in the file name, metadata, or contents.

Other examples:

</copypasta>

I have a docx file with the word "forklift" in it, all I need to do to find it (based on the fact this word is in the content) is type "forklift" into the search box in the top-right of Explorer. Search is still as powerful as ever, there just seems to be no UI for some obscure reason.

----

» CTRL+LMB doesn't open links in a new window as it should in the Control Panel.
    » Copy shouldn't bother users prompting to overwrite system files (desktop.ini, thumbs.db, if present).
    » When Explorer is set to single-click some old open/save dialogs have a delay between a click and its response that isn't

» How IE8's jumplist determines which window to open a link in is confusing. It's not always the newest window or not the last used. At very least when the Taskbar is showing multiple windows, each should act independent.

@vistaline
    I like your post, it was very informative. I have a question about XML files, inspired by another poster. I could not remember who wrote what you just wrote, or what you wrote, so I am glad you rewrote it.
    I know I can search an xml file and find "Text", but I think I also know that
    I cannot find <text> or </text> (IOW, attributes).
    Is this true?
    Or is there a word that search needs, like "Attribute:text"?
    I really killed the computer by trying to add explorer preview for pdf's,  (way long story, and it rose again in three days). But an xml is shown as plain text. Is there a filter that exists that would allow xml attributes to be searched? (or just modify the existing filters to examine XML in plain text?)
    PS xls can be explorer-previewed, but xlsm cannot. (office 2007 version) (?)
    • Edited by Chitbill Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Hello

I know this is a small thing, but the second hand on the Vista Clock gadget would advance slightly more than one second and would then nudge back to the correct spot.... like you might expect on a big clock.

The second hand on the Windows 7 clock gadget isn't as interesting.

Like I said, a small point, but when I show the Vista clock to new PC customers they're also amazed/surprised at the attention to detail. This new one is a bit boring..... and normal.

Cheers

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:56 PM
  • bambamfox -

Er... There already is a "light" version - it's called Starter. Don't bother looking for it on the store shelves - it won't be there. It's only available to OEMs and it's got serious limitations in so far as what kind of hardware it will run on. It's been limited to run on Netbook type systems where the screen can't be more than 10.1" diag, it can't have a CPU that's faster than 2 GHz. Nor more than 2 GB of RAM. Not exactly a gamer friendly system.

You also have Home Basic - which isn't quite as limited. It too is an OEM version - for export to developing areas. This version isn't going to be available in the US mainly because the Vista Home Basic version was one noone really wanted.

Secondly... In the realm of gaming, since when is Linux ANY sort of competition for Windows? Besides a few games that have been natively ported (WOW), gaming on Linux pretty much doesn't exist. WINE isn't much of a solution either. Linux users aren't likely to switch to Windows unless there was a really compelling reason to do so. Most Linux users use Linux because they want to get away from Microsoft, Windows, and "the man"... Even if Windows 7 were utterly perfect, I doubt most would convert back to Windows.

Third - the final install of Windows 7 only takes up about 8 GB - Not 10. Besides, hard disk space is DIRT CHEAP these days. When you've got a 500 GB to 1000 GB hard drive, 8 GB is NOTHING. You can get a 500 GB drive these days for well under $100. A 1000 GB (or 1 TB) drive goes for about $100 all day long if you look around you.

Fourth - You can also disable the sidebar from loading - sparing you from "the burden" of loading any gadgets.

Fifth - If you bothered doing ANY sort of research, you'd note that Windows 7 runs very nicely on a LOT of old hardware. The quoted minimum hardware for Windows 7 is a 1 GHz CPU, 1 GB of RAM, and a decent video card with 128 MB of dedicated memory. There are stories all over the web where people have SUCCESSFULLY run Windows 7 on 512 MB of RAM.

But a true gamer wouldn't be running a system that's so 1999 in this day and age.

So exactly what's missing? Seems like Microsoft has all of your points covered.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:11 PM
  • bambamfox -

Er... There already is a "light" version - it's called Starter. Don't bother looking for it on the store shelves - it won't be there. It's only available to OEMs and it's got serious limitations in so far as what kind of hardware it will run on. It's been limited to run on Netbook type systems where the screen can't be more than 10.1" diag, it can't have a CPU that's faster than 2 GHz. Nor more than 2 GB of RAM. Not exactly a gamer friendly system.

You also have Home Basic - which isn't quite as limited. It too is an OEM version - for export to developing areas. This version isn't going to be available in the US mainly because the Vista Home Basic version was one noone really wanted.

Secondly... In the realm of gaming, since when is Linux ANY sort of competition for Windows? Besides a few games that have been natively ported (WOW), gaming on Linux pretty much doesn't exist. WINE isn't much of a solution either. Linux users aren't likely to switch to Windows unless there was a really compelling reason to do so. Most Linux users use Linux because they want to get away from Microsoft, Windows, and "the man"... Even if Windows 7 were utterly perfect, I doubt most would convert back to Windows.

Third - the final install of Windows 7 only takes up about 8 GB - Not 10. Besides, hard disk space is DIRT CHEAP these days. When you've got a 500 GB to 1000 GB hard drive, 8 GB is NOTHING. You can get a 500 GB drive these days for well under $100. A 1000 GB (or 1 TB) drive goes for about $100 all day long if you look around you.

Fourth - You can also disable the sidebar from loading - sparing you from "the burdern" of loading any gadgets.

Fifth - If you bothered doing ANY sort of research, you'd note that Windows 7 runs very nicely on a LOT of old hardware. The quoted minimum hardware for Windows 7 is a 1 GHz CPU, 1 GB of RAM, and a decent video card with 128 MB of dedicated memory. There are stories all over the web where people have SUCCESSFULLY run Windows 7 on 512 MB of RAM.

But a true gamer wouldn't be running a system that's so 1999 in this day and age.

So exactly what's missing? Seems like Microsoft has all of your points covered.

I have several OEM versions of Microsoft software I mailed away for. Well skipping the intro and the conclusion, not on store shelves but you'd think (I hope) you can mail away for it. But you brought up a much more interesting point, the one about the limitation (screen size, etc). I interpreted that to mean that, only OEMS can order starter contracts covering a certain computer line meeting certain criteria. The implication being that in order to sell a tiny computer cheaper, it had better really be tiny. But you might be saying that the software might know that a computer is too well endowed to even install. That was supposed to be a question. Ok here goes: Is it a contractual thing or a requirement of the starter edition software?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Open the eventviewer.  Drill to Application, for example.  Select an event - a nice vivid bar appears to highlight the event.  Doubleclick the event to bring up the event propertes.  The blue bar disappears.  As you use up/down arrows to navigate through the list, there is no bar to indicate which event in the list you are viewing.  In previous versions of Windows, the bar turned a light gray, so it's either so light now it cannot be seen, or the highlighting is gone.  You can notice a very slight discoloration of the icon beside the text in the Type field for the selected item.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:39 PM
  • well - the only thing I want, is a flexible windows without all that stuff for computer novices and exaggerated security stuff for businesses.

the more you know about PCs, the more you tend to get another OS (I hardly know computer scientists who mainly work with windows - I know - this is a microsoft forum, there will be a lot oppositions against me :) ). And the point with small/free OSs and linux is that games are produced for windows and gamers have no choice - it is not that gamers (and many other 'groups') like windows (i know this is a point that can be discussed for long, but I am sure that I'm right at this point). 

and I know, that you can switch off all that unnecessary stuff - but it takes days to change everything the way it fits - have you read the changelog of the windows modifications that exist?

everything i want is a small tiny windows...
    the OEM versions could be, what I'm searching for - but I think there is a market in the society, and microsoft can't loose much on releasing a version, which seems to already exist anyway... so why not?? (and even if it's not making a lot of profit directly, but the customer relations and versatility could fit good into microsoft future philosphy)

Well in my opinion microsoft experts should think about discussing that seriously.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Chitbill:
    While an "Attributes" property exists, it's not oriented around this. Unfortunately, there is no way to search for xml tags explicitly at default settings, but assigning the plain text filter to XML should* allow you to search for them based on the fact that they are content. How you do that, I don't know.

Also, installing Adobe Reader will add thumbnailing and a preview handler for PDFs in Explorer. I just installed it in a VM a minute or two ago and it worked fine. Just to show how well VM integration works: It even changed the PDF association on my host OS to use the VM's installation of Adobe Reader because I had integration features turned on. I was not expecting that.

Microsoft's approach to supporting file types within Explorer has always irked me because not everyone is going to use the expected first party application. The are a number of fully acceptable third party alternatives to these applications and these decisions diminish the experience for the users of these applications. To get some previews (docx, xlsx, pdf) you need to install very specific software (Office, Reader) to get previews and Office will even ask you to toil around with re-saving all your doc files with a setting clicked if you want thumbnails. Photoshop? CS3 and CS4 will do neither thumbnail or preview in Explorer though the plugins exist to get these features online. That said, many plugins are of usually slow or unstable. Maybe asking for out-of-the-box support for previewing some of these formats (no excuse for docx) is much but there should be some better way to get thumbnails and previews in Explorer. And, in all honesty, previewing through a pane locked to the right edge of Explorer sucks. Whoever thought that would be a good idea in Vista needs to be fired.

While I generally much prefer Windows for everything that involves doing anything, I've found OSX's thumbnailing and it's Preview application are superior in every way to what we get on the Windows side these days.

*According to some page I found on the internet.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/ce8db1a1-872e-4b11-9274-7c157d2c431f

ChrisGonzales:
    Back under the bridge, you racist troll.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Open the eventviewer.  Drill to Application, for example.  Select an event - a nice vivid bar appears to highlight the event.  Doubleclick the event to bring up the event propertes.  The blue bar disappears.  As you use up/down arrows to navigate through the list, there is no bar to indicate which event in the list you are viewing.  In previous versions of Windows, the bar turned a light gray, so it's either so light now it cannot be seen, or the highlighting is gone.  You can notice a very slight discoloration of the icon beside the text in the Type field for the selected item.

I like the way you wrote this, because it was easy to follow the instructions.
    Double-clicking on an event made a new window with just that event in it. In The original window, which is no longer the selected one, you are right, the scroll bar turns very light gray. However to scroll to a different event I clicked on the original window and it turned back to blue.
    Plus, the original window has a "preview section"(whatever) built-in, so I can scroll in bright blue all day, never leaving the original window.
    But (Because I never do this) It used to be easy do change stuff in menus, title and scroll bars. It might still be easy, if I could find it.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Chitbill:
    While an "Attributes" property exists, it's not oriented around this. Unfortunately, there is no way to search for xml tags explicitly at default settings, but assigning the plain text filter to XML should* allow you to search for them based on the fact that they are content. How you do that, I don't know.

Also, installing Adobe Reader will add thumbnailing and a preview handler for PDFs in Explorer. I just installed it in a VM a minute or two ago and it worked fine. Just to show how well VM integration works: It even changed the PDF association on my host OS to use the VM's installation of Adobe Reader because I had integration features turned on. I was not expecting that.

Microsoft's approach to supporting file types within Explorer has always irked me because not everyone is going to use the expected first party application. The are a number of fully acceptable third party alternatives to these applications and these decisions diminish the experience for the users of these applications. To get some previews (docx, xlsx, pdf) you need to install very specific software (Office, Reader) to get previews and Office will even ask you to toil around with re-saving all your doc files with a setting clicked if you want thumbnails. Photoshop? CS3 and CS4 will do neither thumbnail or preview in Explorer though the plugins exist to get these features online. That said, many plugins are of usually slow or unstable. Maybe asking for out-of-the-box support for previewing some of these formats (no excuse for docx) is much but there should be some better way to get thumbnails and previews in Explorer. And, in all honesty, previewing through a pane locked to the right edge of Explorer sucks. Whoever thought that would be a good idea in Vista needs to be fired.

While I generally much prefer Windows for everything that involves doing anything, I've found OSX's thumbnailing and it's Preview application are superior in every way to what we get on the Windows side these days.

*According to some page I found on the internet.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/ce8db1a1-872e-4b11-9274-7c157d2c431f

ChrisGonzales:
    Back under the bridge, you racist troll.

Thanks for all the tips an information.
    No joy yet on pdf previews.
    It's late for me but I'll sleep on the acrobat preview thing. I read on the internet it works for some, not others.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Desktop transparency bug:
    Put two overlapping images on the desktop and Windows will be unable to correctly render the shadow. What will happen instead is that the Desktop will be rendered instead of the shadow/alpha channel and the underlying image.

Windows Media Player 12 bug:
    Open Windows Media Player, start playing a track then enter Now Playing mode. ALT+Tab through you applications and past WMP. Leave ALT+Tab idled over an application that is not WMP then mouse over the area WMP's frame should be, the shadow should appear.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:43 AM
  • I have been noticing a lot more Blue Screens the RC.  I had none with the Beta and have had about 6-7 with the RC, what happened I thought the RC was an improvement.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:44 AM
  • I have been noticing a lot more Blue Screens the RC.  I had none with the Beta and have had about 6-7 with the RC, what happened I thought the RC was an improvement.
    that's a problem with your system. what are your specs?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:45 AM
  • HP Pavilion DV9700
    2.4 GHz Dual Coar AMD, 3 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8400, 320 GB Hard Drive

I don't see how that is a problem with my system, it should be fully capable of handling the RC.  I mean I had the Beta for 3 months and in 4 weeks I have had over 5 Blue Screens, something seems wrong here.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:10 AM
  • BUG (others have confirmed the same problem) - Explorer.exe can be crashed simply by using the start menu in a certain way (I found it by accident while using the cursor keys)

Hello.

I was asked to copy this here since a number of other people can reproduce the same problem.

Basically I can crash explorer.exe (on my 64bit Windows 7 Build 7100 install) every time through some sort of problem with the Start Menu.

It's taken a while to replicate it reliably. Sorry if my terminology isn't right.

1) Press the Windows Key to open the start menu.

2) Make sure the mouse pointer is inside the thin blue strip at the top of the start menu, i.e. the frame.

3) Navigate to a menu entry which features a right hand sub menu (like Notepad and it's recent documents OR Getting Started and it's Tasks) using the cursor keys.

4) Navigate to the sub menu by using the right hand cursor key.

5) Move the mouse slightly to the left or right to ensure that none of the items in the sub menu are highlighted. Sometimes the submenu opens out like this without having to move the mouse.

6) Press the left cursor key to return to the previous part of the start menu. You'll hopefully notice that the item you'd expect to be highlighted (i.e. the one you moved right from) is not highlighted at all.

7) Press a left or right cursor key once more and explorer.exe hangs. Well.... it does for me. You should see the flashing caret freeze within the 'Search programs and files' box.

8) Attempts to click on the start menu/Windows icon result in the Explorer.exe has crashed, restart/close/wait message appearing.

I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

Cheers!!

Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:20 AM
  • repMonk -

Wow... That's a whopper all right... And no, this is as good as any place for you to post this bug.

And it's not only the 64 bit version, but the 32 bit one as well that's vulnerable to this issue.

Good catch!
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:36 AM
  • 7.) Click on the Configure button just below the box with the drives.
    8.) You should now see a slider bar near the bottom of the dialog box.
    9.) Adjust to your heart's content.

Btw, the default space allocated for System Restore is 5%...
    Hmm, I will check again. I just don't see an Configure button there. ( I know in XP it was, but in Vista is not and in 7 I have same like in Vista... There is a button there but is not Configure, anyway I got that using Properties, not Control Panel, so maybe using CP will ofer me an other windows... )

For the Btw - what can I say ? Houston we have a problem ? After unchecking the System Restore from C:\ I got 15 Gb free...
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Cristi -

The dialog box I speak of looks like this and the resulting dialog that pops up when you click the Configure button should look something like this.

My bad... You want to click on the SYSTEM icon in Control Panel - I apparently was clear as mud in my previous instructions.

Unchecking System Restore would unlock the full amount of the reserved space. Even if you have NO restore points saved, it will still take up whatever the maximum allowed space is set to.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:02 PM
  • In Windows 7 RC 64 bit a repair disk allows a user to peruse a domain for backup images but does not provide the capability to peruse a workgroup for backup images.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Before I started trying Windows 7  used Ubuntu jaunty. One of the really nice things was the ability to right click on an open window and ' Keep window on top'. I used this a lot for research purposes for instance if I were using Google to search an answer, I could lock my research project on top to refer too whilst Google'ing on another, I know that i can drag and shrink windows to the side and this works unless you catch it.
    But the ability t have a whole window open with a smaller floating above is far more useful.
    Can it be added?
    Again the Linux option of having several "desktops" open at once is again really useful, another addition?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Before I started trying Windows 7  used Ubuntu jaunty. One of the really nice things was the ability to right click on an open window and ' Keep window on top'. I used this a lot for research purposes for instance if I were using Google to search an answer, I could lock my research project on top to refer too whilst Google'ing on another, I know that i can drag and shrink windows to the side and this works unless you catch it.
    But the ability t have a whole window open with a smaller floating above is far more useful.
    Can it be added?
    Again the Linux option of having several "desktops" open at once is again really useful, another addition?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Yes, i agree with you.

At "windows colour" menu, even with "stale", max colour intensity, transparency disabled, mininum brightness, it is still hard to recognise.

if u use "never combine" taskbar buttons, u will notice there's a shine at top left corner of the button, it is quit irritating, consider removing it.

the 'depressed' style for selected taskbar button was nice and elegant, and definitely easily recognizable. would love it back. (with transparency as well, of cos)

P.S: can someone teach me how to upload a screenshot on this forum? thanks!
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:23 PM
  • P.S: can someone teach me how to upload a screenshot on this forum? thanks!
    Hi Kira

The best way to use a screenshot is to get yourself a free account on one of the websites where you can upload and store images for sharing. I use the free http://photobucket.com service.

You can upload a screenshot there, copy the direct URL to that image, and paste it in your post here.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hello developers,

I found a nice bug in windows 7 which i was told to bring to your attention here.  It's to do with the fact that desktop icons, when they're hidden, can still be selected and opened if the desktop has focus and the arrow keys on the keyboard are used.

Steps to reproduce bug:

click background to focus desktop.
    press a directional arrow on the keyboard.
    a tooltip should appear after a second or two. (if not, minimise or restore a window and repeat the process)
    press enter and the program will open

bug is able to be reproduced as seen here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/65d4575b-5a66-43cc-a82b-14af7a0a7604/

screenshot of the bug: http://img160.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=54488_windows7bug_122_736lo.jpg

Regards, :)
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Playback of AVCHD (or M2TS ) files made with an Sony CX11 or Panasonic DMC-FT1 are choppy and studdering when playing back over an Xbox 360 As MC extender. In the Publuc Beta build 7000 the playback just stopped after 5 seconds. So the RC1 build 7100 is much better then the Beta butt still very disappointing. I would love to have flawless playback of any Home Made HD movie like AVCHD from the Sony or Panasonic camcorders!

Please check with the test team, my movies are 16Mbps bitrated full HD (1080i) perhaps some additional tuning needs to be performed. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

Regards, Tom

Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Perhaps to late for a feature request, DVD maker in Windows 7 b7100 should support creating DVD's from AVCHD ( M2TS ) movie files.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:05 PM
  • I got some errors in the beta to report.

One has to do with the new Windows 7 boot animation for some reason it does not work with my tc4400 tablet PC, yet it works on my HP compaq nc6400 notebook PC and when i installed it on that pc, it only showed 16MB of video RAM installed...

That goes into my 2nd issue, it seems like Windows 7 is not detecting the video RAM on my nc6400 properly. When Windows 7 was first installed on the notebook, only 16MB was first detected. then when i updated the drivers for the graphics device, i now seem to have about 700MB in shared graphics and 128MB in dedicated graphics. the weird thing is that on the HP web site, it says that the PC is only supossed to go up to 512MB in shared or dedicated graphics RAM and when i was running Windows XP i did not even have 500MB of graphics memory.

i just hope microsoft fixes these issues..... and also tells me why they are happening as well, if they can tell me why they are happening. just so you guys know i am running 32-bit versions of Windows 7 on both the nc6400 and the tc4400...
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Found an oversight in the Start menu search bar. I've got mine set to search programs and control panel, but not other files and libraries. So as long as I've stuck something in the All Programs portion, it should be searchable. Well I also pinned an ordinary file to the Start menu, but it never shows up in searches even though it's right there in the Start menu. Obviously, I could just click on the file icon after I open the start menu, but sometimes it's just reflext to start typing the file name as if I'm opening any other program.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Hi developers -

here's only two points to rebuild your self-confidence among so much criticism: 1) After getting used to it, I find the new search wayyy more efficient than previous methods. Even full-indexing is done at a reasonable speed, and it works fine. 2) As I have to switch to XP regularly (didn't want to reinstall all my apps just for a RC), I've problems (well, some) to remember the ways I did the things for nearly six (?) years now. One month of trial, and Win7's ways to go just appear more familiar than the "traditional" ones. I'd not say they're better in general, some are more "innovations for innovations' sake". But those that complain Win7 would hinder their work by making simple things complicated, are surely wrong. I'm impressed how much customization is possible if you want it or need it (my first use of Control Panel was to set it back to "small icons" - "Category" is silly and only seems to simplify things but doesn't).
    Don't get over-confident, however. You know the many bug reports here. You can use beta testers as beta testers, that's the deal. But don't make the same error as the gaming industry. Real users want to use a product, not beta-test it for SP1.
    Cheers so far!
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Edited by Sanmartin Friday, June 12, 2009 1:28 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:33 AM
  • See my post here for more detailed system spec: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/5e1f7e54-6e41-40e2-9f77-129a700d1057
    Toshiba Satellite ... It sits on my desk with the battery out <- Note this.

I couldn't get desktop background shuffle to work ... I tried either in shuffle or consecutive mode ... The background would NOT change on its own at any tested change speed (tried from 10 sec to 30 min)

Then I [edit - I thought I had unticked it, but actually I activated the on-battery suspend of rotate] ticked the 'disable slideshow when using battery' box ... and lo did the background immediately begin changing.

To further complicate and add intrigue: The reason I was examining the issue at all, is because my computer had hard frozen twice in a row ... no mouse movement, no ctrl+alt+del response at all ... just an immobile windows screen that required power switch shut down.  Well, I noted that in both cases, the freeze had not happened until after the computer had been on for at least a number of minutes, and that the wallpaper had never changed, even though it was set to 30 min rotate, as per above.  So I have yet to see if I encounter this hard hang again - but my nose tells me it was related to the wallpaper rotate bug.

So: 2 issues:
    1) Potential freeze bug in wallpaper rotate
    2) Potential no-go bug in wallpaper rotate, linked to on-battery suspend option

See also my above linked post for: Fan problems!  (and is if on cue, my fan fired up as I'm typing this post.  It will not stop until I shut down the computer. I am running: Firefox, on a 4GB, 2Ghz dual core AMD 64 bit.  Windows Task Manager clocks CPU Usage in the range of 0-a whopping 6%.  Physical memory usage is at approx. 25%.  The fan is blowing cool air.  For no good reason.  And even though, I know, what does Windows 7 have to do with my fan speed ... this NEVER happened until I installed W7RC over Vista, and now it doesn't NOT happen. Correlation =/= causation, but that's pretty strong evidence of a link. Sorry to have hijacked my own thread. Ciao.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:21 AM

• System Restore via Task Scheduler doesn't work.

Sheduled task is set to create a system restore point at a designated time.
    System Restore Point at Startup is disabled.
    Task History is enabled.
    The system log and the history show that the SR task was initiated at the designated time and finished with no error.

There is no new Restore Point.

The same task works correctly on Vista, and produces a Restore Point.

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:13 AM
    <copypasta>

Moonshine

Other examples:

</copypasta>

----

Wow, thanks for this. Wouldn't this be something that was great to put in the help menu. I have done a search of "help" for all the search options in Vista and never found any of this information.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,
    Lara
    lforbes
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Hi! I only have two feedbacks, one refers to my laptop and the other to my flashdrive. After installing Windows 7 RC, there were instances that when I open my laptop, the OS seems to automatically conduct a CHKDSK, eventhough I have not moved the laptop from one place to another...it is my understanding that this could be new feature in Windows 7 RC wherein it checks the physical status of the laptop's harddrive every time that laptop is moved...but in my case, the Windows 7 RC most of the time opens to "checking" mode or environment eventhough I've never budged my laptop after previously using it.

My second feedback refers to my 16Gb flashdrive...there were at least 10 instances since installing Windows 7 RC wherein the OS opens to "scanning" (and recovering bad sectors) mode when I use the flashdrive despite the fact that I have been properly conducting flashdrive removal process by leftclicking on the icon at the taskbar.

Other than these two 'quirks,' I claimed that Windows 7 RC is faster and a much improved version of the Vista...I am not  fond of giving feedbacks but I am glad to be of assistance to the Windows Team anyway I can. God bless us all!

Jerome Cubelo
    SLSO I
    House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal
    Congress of the Philippines
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Hello Crunksy,

If you'd like to report bugs you can do it here.  Thanks for testing Windows 7 RC.
    -Scott
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:16 AM
  • I was inclined to put this into the security forum, but had a rethink that it was not a matter of security, but rather of fraud.
    It is well publicised on the web, that the WEI scores can be easily faked. (I can reproduce the procedure for enquirers, if allowed on this site )

In view of this, I earnestly believe the feature should excluded from Windows 7, or any future OS. Why?
    I would throw out a random guess, that 80% of potential new computer buyers, take the figures they read concenrning the performance of their expected purchase, are true. There are many unscrupulous retailers in this real world, who are only to eager to exploit such custom. Many of such are technically savvy and would not hesitate to fake the WEI scores.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Cristi -

The dialog box I speak of looks like this and the resulting dialog that pops up when you click the Configure button should look something like this.

My bad... You want to click on the SYSTEM icon in Control Panel - I apparently was clear as mud in my previous instructions.

Unchecking System Restore would unlock the full amount of the reserved space. Even if you have NO restore points saved, it will still take up whatever the maximum allowed space is set to.

Found it. But is not default of 5% it seems to depend of partition size. On my 100 Gb partition installation it was 16 %, and on another computer witch a 20 Gb partition it was set to 3 %.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:46 AM

• Wow, thanks for this. Wouldn't this be something that was great to put in the help menu. I have done a search of "help" for all the search options in Vista and never found any of this information.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,
    Lara
    lforbes

Since you liked that, you will really love this:   Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Here's another link, directly from Help and Support (Vista)  Tips for finding files

Helpful Hint:  When viewing a Help and Support page, right-click it and choose View Source.  That brings up NotePad with that page in SGML/HTML format.  Find whatever link you have interest in.  It will have form  href="mshelp://Windows/?id=73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033   (that's exactly the "tips for finding files" above).  Next, copy the id string, and form the URL   http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033.mspx.  Paste that in your browser.   Bookmark it.  Thereafter, you only need to patch the id field.   :)

Friday, June 12, 2009 10:34 AM

• Search Box really needs an Advanced Template mode.

Friday, June 12, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Two bagatelles, but irritating: At system start ("Ta-daa"), shortly after a "ping". System tray, error cross: No sound available. "Bloing!" - Action center most of the time recognizes my antivirus protection, sometimes warns me there is no protection installed. More consistency, plz.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Feature Request - Fluff/Eye Candy, I know.  But, I'm loving the new wallpaper slideshow function in Windows 7.  Am rediscovering some old pictures I haven't looked at in years and adding new wallpaper to the mix all the time.  I'd love to see an option where I could simply select my picture/photo library location and then have some intelligence/filter options to choose what pictures automatically get added into the slideshow.  i.e. All 5 Star Ratings get added, or all pictures added in the past X days.  Or maybe the slideshow definination, like a playlist, is created in Windows Media and then you allow the wallpaper slideshow settings an option to siimply choose the 'playlist' created via Windows Media rather than individual files.

Friday, June 12, 2009 11:45 AM
  • +1

I just replicated this behaviour.  = "Windows Explorer is not responding".

Note: 64bit W7RC on AMDX2 Dual Core 64bit, Toshiba Satellite
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:58 AM
  • Cristi -

Found it. But is not default of 5% it seems to depend of partition size. On my 100 Gb partition installation it was 16 %, and on another computer witch a 20 Gb partition it was set to 3 %.

Cristi -

You're probably right about that. My drive's an 80 GB (74 GB formatted) drive...
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:21 PM
  • +1

I just replicated this behaviour.  = "Windows Explorer is not responding".

Note: 64bit W7RC on AMDX2 Dual Core 64bit, Toshiba Satellite

If that's the Start Menu crash problem.... can you confirm the build number? I'm getting various people boasting about using builds later than 7100 without problems. Are Microsoft still handing out 7100?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I'd like to post again about the Networking problems in Windows 7. I thought this was limited to my laptop after waking from sleep, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This has now also happened twice on my desktop machine which is never turned off or put into sleep. Also, unlike the laptop, the desktop connects to the network through a gigabit ethernet port, not through WiFi.

The issue appears to be a problem with DNS. The network continues to work and any connections, either local or over the Internet, that have been established continue to work. But new connections or Web browsing fail to work because DNS resolution fails so Internet URLs cannot be resolved to their IPs. I never had this issue with Vista so it appears to be a bug in Windows 7, but a rather serious one since it's likely the network will fail at the least opportune moment (just ask Murphy)...

Disabling and re-enabling the ethernet adapter fixes the problem but only temporarily. And by temporariliy, I mean a few seconds before it fails again. Ultimately, I was forced to reboot the machine each time in order to fix the problem for any length of time.

A related issue, which I've not had on the desktop but have on the laptop, is when disabling the network adapter, the Explorer window is not updated correctly. In fact, in tiles view, the tile for the adapter will show disabled, but the button on the taskbar will continue to show "Disable adapter" instead of "Enable adapter". I need to manually refresh (waiting will not help) in order for the Window to display the correct information. I suspect this is more a general Explorer refresh bug as I've seen other complaints about deleted files not disappearing, etc. However, this is one place where on my laptop I see it reproducibly.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:26 PM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2113

[BUG] Libraries - Arrange function doesn't work.

Problem:
    Libraries - Arrange by XXX function doesn't work. It's bug.
    If you ever use BETA1, then you will understand this is a bug...

Solution:
    fix it.

view snapshot
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/libraries_folder_bug.png/x/700

Friday, June 12, 2009 2:38 PM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2690

[BUG] WindowsExplorer files can't free sort by user

Problem:
    WindowsExplorer files can't free sort by user
    This is a Bug, Because in Vista/XP you acn free sort.

Solution: 
    fix free sort by user.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Bug_WindowsExplorer_cant_free_sort.png/x/560

• Edited by fuchueh Friday, June 12, 2009 2:54 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:46 PM
  • [BUG] keep WindowsExplorer and IE8 button style consistency for Classic

Problem:
    WindowsExplorer button very ugly.

Solution:
    keep WindowsExplorer and IE8 button style consistency for Classic.

view snapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/keep_WE_and_IE8_button_consistency.png/x/560
    • Edited by fuchueh Friday, June 12, 2009 3:15 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:55 PM
  • [Suggestion] WordPad & Paint StatusBar color layout update to Ribbon style

Problem:
    WordPad & Paint StatusBar color layout is win95style.
    It's very disharmony.

WordPad & Paint not a WindowsExplorer, they are stand-alone application.
    They are unneeded use win95style, Because Ribbon style also can used in Classic mode.
    of course they are can update to Ribbon style.

WordPad & Paint StatusBar color layout update to Ribbon style.

view shapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/WordPad_Paint_StatusBar_update_to_win7style.png/x/560

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Erm i dont think you understand his point! he means have the same colour throughout the OS not go back to xp colour!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:37 PM
  • one of the nice things about the interface is the whole docking concept. Ive wanted it for years. so ive got the win7rc installed, and i thought cool ill dock this window on the left and ill dock that window next to it, but it doesn't work is you have 2 monitors.

the shared edge of the screen doesn't allow docking. its a real pain.

may i suggest making the edges of open windows dockable like winAmp.

hopefully somebody out there will listen.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hello JiDW,

You can post any found bugs or comments on Windows 7 here.
    -Scott
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:53 PM
  • http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2266

[Suggestion] keep WindowsExplorer Navigation pane color layout consistency

Control Panel's navigation pane color layout is light blue.
    keep WindowsExplorer Navigation pane color layout consistency.

keep WindowsExplorer Navigation pane color layout consistency.

view shapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/Navigation_pane_color_layout.png/x/560

No thanks. That color is ugly enough. No more please!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:09 PM
  • [Suggestion] WordPad & Paint StatusBar color layout update to Ribbon style

Problem:
    WordPad & Paint StatusBar color layout is win95style.
    It's very disharmony.

WordPad & Paint not a WindowsExplorer, they are stand-alone application.
    They are unneeded use win95style, Because Ribbon style also can used in Classic mode.
    of course they are can update to Ribbon style.

WordPad & Paint StatusBar color layout update to Ribbon style.

view shapshot:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/thumb/WordPad_Paint_StatusBar_update_to_win7style.png/x/560

That I'll agree with. Please make it happen
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:09 PM

• Wow, thanks for this. Wouldn't this be something that was great to put in the help menu. I have done a search of "help" for all the search options in Vista and never found any of this information.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,
    Lara
    lforbes

Since you liked that, you will really love this:   Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Here's another link, directly from Help and Support (Vista)  Tips for finding files

Helpful Hint:  When viewing a Help and Support page, right-click it and choose View Source.  That brings up NotePad with that page in SGML/HTML format.  Find whatever link you have interest in.  It will have form  href="mshelp://Windows/?id=73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033   (that's exactly the "tips for finding files" above).  Next, copy the id string, and form the URL   http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033.mspx.  Paste that in your browser.   Bookmark it.  Thereafter, you only need to patch the id field.   :)

Thanks for the tips and the page. I am usually quite thorough with the web searches but I didn't find this one. I will post it on my website. Thanks for the tips on the Windows Help. Mine is broken right now on Vista since I installed IE 8. All the images are red X and the formatting is gone. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet. It is a Dell Laptop though and Dell has taken over the Help with their format which is probably not IE 8 comptable. Cheers, Lara

lforbes
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:19 PM

• Thanks for the tips and the page. I am usually quite thorough with the web searches but I didn't find this one. I will post it on my website. Thanks for the tips on the Windows Help. Mine is broken right now on Vista since I installed IE 8. All the images are red X and the formatting is gone. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet. It is a Dell Laptop though and Dell has taken over the Help with their format which is probably not IE 8 comptable.

Cheers, Lara
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lforbes

It took me 2 years to find that!    :))

I figured I owed you - your tips have been great.  Thanks!  And btw, I likewise am having real trouble with IE8 + VistaSP2.  Just now, I had to reply to Anthony_Mann's post and hand encode your blockquote here.  Guess I'll be re-installing IE7 soon.   :( 

Friday, June 12, 2009 6:46 PM
  • I've only ran into a few incredibly minor issues with Windows 7.

1. Comodo firewall won't install. some issue with the registry i believe (i'd give more information but i believe this is a known issue). i also tried AVG internet security but the firewall wouldn't allow Homegroup by default and i'm really bad at setting up 'firewall rules', so just going with the Windows Firewall for now.

2. ALL Windows live apps and websites have a incredibly difficult time logging in. their all eventually able to just by attempting to sign in about 5 to 10 times. this could easily be a firewall issue but i tried it with the firewall turned off (only using the default Windows Firewall anyway) and that didn't help at all. could easily be problems with my router also, my router has a built in firewall which i have turned off as well. could also be a issue with the servers, i would guess that the MS servers have been pretty busy lately but it's been about a week that i've been having a lot of difficulty signing in. (i have had absolutely no problems logging in / connecting to with anything that's not MS.)

3. Logitec QuickCam: software had a hard time installing, just kept telling me that the OS isn't supported, eventually it stopped saying that and let me install it (i didn't use any compatability options, it just let me install it for some reason after about 5 tries), the device is working fine but i had to remove the software entries from starting with windows while running in safe mode or my desktop would crash at login, it would keep trying to start again and just keep crashing. but the device works fine, so i'm assuming that once logitec releases software for 7 it'll work fine (if they do). of corse, i really dont care if they do release software compatible with windows 7, i would still disable it because it's useless so there's no reason to have it running in the background.

4. Lexmark x3400 software: only issues are: after using the Lexmark All-In-One Center to scan an image it says The Program Has Stopped Working. Does not affect the image or functionality at all, just have to click the box that says: Close the program. however, scanning by going to Start > Devices. then right clicking the printer and chosing Start Scan works fine. a suggestion from me would be to put the program that uses in a more accessable place... i dont forsee many end users thinking of trying that.

5. IF a security dialog comes up (UAC or a Firewall one, etc...) durring the time a full screen app (game or other) is loading but after it takes control of the screen (?) meaning the screen went black and it's changing the resolution, the computer will just hang there and do nothing. it doesn't go back to desktop so you can click allow and it doesn't go to the game.... just sits there as a black screen and alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del does not work. the only ways around this that i have found are: disable UAC, give the program permissions to comm through any firewall you have installed before loading the program, give the program permission to change the windows registry before loading it (in Spybot S&D / Antivirus apps sometimes monitor this as well).

I think that covers all the issues i've had.... their all pretty simple issues really. everything else has worked fine. i've tried the remote desktop connection, which was actually really fun. used Quick Connect to do it 'cuz i'm really not the best with setting that stuff up. iTunes, Halo: Combat Evolved, Fable, World of Warcraft, The Witcher, FRAPS, Ventrilo (Server and Client), Skype, QuickTime, GIMP 2, Avast! Antivirus, AVG Antivirus, Zune, Spybot S&D, Adobe Reader, Open Office, MS Office, Homegroup are all working fine, no errors. ALL of the games are even running far better than in Vista. for example, in World of Warcraft on Vista i normally have a framerate around 25, in 7 i get an average of 60 (yes, same exact machine and same settings). that is obviousely a huge improvement. also, FRAPS doesn't lower my frame rate as drastically as it does in Vista. in Vista, that average of 25 goes down to 15 when recording and constantly drops to about 5. in 7 it goes from 60 to 55 and remains pretty stable at about 55.

Overall i'd have to say MS has done an absolutely brilliant job with Windows 7, I personally can't wait for it to come out. MS can definetly expect me to buy 3 coppies of the OS the first day it's out (i've been testing it on 3 completely different PC's that have nothing in common with the same issues on each and no other issues).

Friday, June 12, 2009 7:07 PM
    <copypasta>

Moonshine

Other examples:

</copypasta>

----

Thanks, I really don't knew it.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:50 PM
  • There is an issue with Windows 7 and any function that alters the power settings automatically, ie sleep, hibernate, etc. Until that issue is resolved, it is best to avoid such states.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:06 PM
  • I'm not sure if this would really count as a bug in Windows 7 or not but i am going to post it anyways because i do not think this kind of issue should not be happening.

you guys know how Windows has a paging file for if your system does not have enough system RAM. well, i got an error message saying that my virtual machine that i am using for XP mode did not have a big enough paging file, so it started to increase it. i never got this issue in virtual machine before. infact, i never got this issue in vista. i actually have not gotten this issue since 2002.

My question is, how does a virtual machine run low on virtial RAM when it is running on 1024MB of system RAM at the time?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:29 PM
  • This might have been reported before. But it doesnt hurt to report it over and over again till it is noticed!
    Issue: Outlook 2007 is getting to icons. One on the taskbar and one in the system tray. Please fix it :-)
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:22 PM
  • This might have been reported before. But it doesnt hurt to report it over and over again till it is noticed!
    Issue: Outlook 2007 is getting to icons. One on the taskbar and one in the system tray. Please fix it :-)

I like how its in oth places, but now that we have Windows 7 and office 2007 SP2, they should have removed the new mail notification for when people are using outlook under Windows 2007. also outlook 2007 does not need a start menu short-cut. in my opinion there should be an option to make the system tray icon disapear if users dislike it. and by the way, there is an option to hide the application when minimized, so that it just hides in the system tray...
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Microsoft's attempts to make something more stable and more accurate than it's precessor are in vague: they'll never advance if they don't get their job seriously, while Macintosh is advancing now more than ever.

Friday, June 12, 2009 10:24 PM
  • The best place to post about this so the developers hear about it would be the Windows 7 RC comments thread.

-Nick
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Does it do this for all programs or just a few? This is not the way it should be. 

-Nick
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:01 AM
  • I have an identical issue.  I've been placing my taskbar on top for many years and was enlightened to see MS added as a taskbar option.  You always had the ability to unlock the taskbar and drag it where you wanted, but now it's a selectable feature.  However as I arrange things on my taskbar like a desktop toolbar, an address toolbar, I need to rearrange them to make them all fit nice.  As soon as I extend the taskbar down another increment or more it keeps the transparency from where the taskbar once was regarless of what size I make the taskbar.  It appears to only happen when you select the taskbar on top. and oddly enough, neither a reboot, resolution change, wallpaper change or logoff fixes the problem.  I have to place my taskbar back on the bottom because as soon as I select the top position the residual shadow transparency is visible from my original repositioning of the taskbar.
    Mark
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:16 AM
  • yeah and it looks terrible, like a novice screen with a bunch of icons on it.
    Mark
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Make sure your user accounts are not a member of the Domain Guests group.  This is what is causing the TEMP profile to be created.  Remove your account from that domain group and log in again.  It will then create a permanant profile for you.
    Mark
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:50 AM
  • The Work, Home, Public network options are primarily for setting local policy rules that affect how your connecting from different places.  For example you might have relaxed firewall settings at home or your office that is probably connected via a hardware firewall, but you wouldn't want such relaxed settings at say a wi-fi hotspot.  It allows Windows to remember what your connecting to when you've established any new network connection.  It's actually a pretty good idea.

Mark
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Well I hate to say it but this forum is full of old equipment success stories with installing RC1.  I myself have RC1 installed on several computers and notebooks that are 2-5 years old and other than the few issues I've reported everything works great.
    Mark
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:21 AM
  • Mark -

what you said last (working fine on older hardware), is the keypoint for Win7's commercial success. There is quite a bunch of tech enthusiasts asking "How will my newest games run?" (on their 8core, 156 G RAM... machines with DX 16 video cards), but it's money what counts. And if the last poll of leading CIO's is right (recently quoted on ZDNET or elsewhere), most of the companies see no real reasons to change their old NT-oriented hardware during the next 10 (!) years, are considering changing from Win2000 to Win7 not sooner than 2011, etc. That's the sector where Vista hadn't any impact, Win7 may re-roll the dice, and Win8 will have a chance if 7 does a good job in managing improved speed and backward hw/sw compatibility.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:03 AM
  • seven.jpg (129 KB)br/>
    in "quick launck\user pinned\star menu"

when added directly in this folder one shortcut or a sub-folder containing shortcuts that it does not appear.

it does when sliding it ON the menu

_________

this folder is not available for "all users".

what is stupid in company added it allows shortcuts for all users in a simple manner in a place apart from the menu. Practice for the most essential

_________

When should better because of bug ... is drag a folder in this area, it does not appear the little arrow on the right side of this one for easy access to its content.

which once again stupid and a waste of time (you must first click of the shortcut, which opens the file or are of other shortcuts.

in short, this area does not behave like the internet shortcuts such

_________

there are rumors saying that internet explorer 8 is not provided (at least installable version) in the French edition of windows.

I find it outrageous.
    you pay more in france windows licenses that many other countries including the United States, but in addition you delete functions.

what about the speech that I think will still not be "franch voice"
    and always an English voice ... outrageous
    . (you must believe that the full  box version vista should not be expensive)
    • Edited by MagiX-FX Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:22 AM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:17 AM
  • @MagiX-FX,

as for your "rumours": These aren't rumours. Windows 7 will be delivered (as "Windows 7 E") in all countries of the EU, adding Switzerland and Croatia, without IE8 preinstalled. This goes for retail boxes, OEM's might have a chance to decide what sort of "bundling" they include in their system. This is result of a legal case with EU Antitrust supervisors, promoted mainly by the manufacturers of Opera, a competing browser. As the case is still pending and EU seems not to be content with MS's decisions (their own idea is integrating all competing browsers into a built-in Windows selection), things may change again until the public release of Windows 7.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:56 AM
  •      Windows Media Player 12 doesn't seem to have the ability to appear with controls in the taskbar like WMP 11 can.  In Windows XP, you can right-click on the taskbar and choose "Toolbars", "Windows Media Player" and then whenever you minimize the Windows Media Player, it appears as a slim bar with controls such as play, ffwd, rewind, etc.  Why was this removed from WMP 12?

Also, when you right-click on an MP3 file in Windows XP, you can see and edit many pieces of ID3 tag information, including "Lyrics".  If lyrics are included in the MP3 tag information, they can also be displayed in Windows Media Player 11 while a song is playing.  Or, while you are in "Library" mode in WMP 11, you can right-click on a song and choose the "Advanced Tag Editor", which not only includes the ablity to add/edit lyrics, but even include synchronized lyrics!  Why are these features removed from Windows 7 and WMP 12?  I'm sorry, but after using Windows 7 RC and WMP 12, I still prefer Windows XP and WMP 11. 

I ended up using an alternative media player in Windows 7 RC (The KMPlayer, also SMPlayer is great) because WMP 12 doesn't offer any advantages (for me) over any other media player when the lyrics and taskbar features are removed.  Overall, from what I've experienced with Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12, I am not very excited about buying a new laptop with Windows 7 on it.  I am still going to buy a new laptop and there's no way I'm going to buy one with Windows Vista, but I would much rather have a newer, improved version of Windows XP to run on it, instead of Windows 7, which is just a newer, improved version of Windows Vista. 

Unfortunately, I have to say that Windows Media Player 12 is a step backward, with one exception.  It's really great that we will be able to play .mov, .aac, Xvid and DivX files with Windows Media Player, finally! (although other free media players have been doing that for a while)
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 11:09 AM
  • I have the same problem. This been sens first Windows 7 release i think. Very bad that MS haven't fixed it yet.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:02 PM
  • I'd recommend posting this issue to the comments thread , where it has a better chance of being considered and altered by the dev team.

-Alex
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:24 PM