none
Which Classifications are included in Microsoft Update 'Express' updates? RRS feed

• Question

• When updating a Windows XP computer using Microsoft Update (update.microsoft.com...), one can choose 'Express' or 'Custom' updates. In WSUS, one can select 'Classifications' of updates to download. Which Classifications are included in MS Update 'Express' updates? I ask because I want to configure WSUS to install the same updates that MS Update would.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:37 PM

Answers

• When updating a Windows XP computer using Microsoft Update (update.microsoft.com...), one can choose 'Express' or 'Custom' updates. In WSUS, one can select 'Classifications' of updates to download. Which Classifications are included in MS Update 'Express' updates? I ask because I want to configure WSUS to install the same updates that MS Update would.

There is NO correlation between the schemes of update selection used in WU/MU and the Update Classifications used by WSUS.

Microsoft Update presents *ALL* available and applicable updates to the client for installation.

To achieve that with WSUS, synchronize all classfications except "Drivers", and select all Product Classifications for products that are installed in your environment.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:07 PM