none
Recover From Domain Restarts Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so our CIO has wanted us to start fielding tablet hybrids, and got us a couple test units to play with. Our production environment runs MDT 2012 on Server 2008 R2 and our standard deployment is Windows 7 SP1. These tablet hybrids will receive Windows 8.1 Pro, so naturally we needed Server 2012 / MDT 2013. I have the testing environment all set up, captured a Windows 8.1 WIM, created the task sequence to match our Win7 TS. Here's the only issue I have: In our MDT 2012 environment, the computer does not restart after domain recovery. In MDT 2013, deploying Win8.1, it does restart. The domain join is applying the GPO policy, which includes a corporate login notice. On restart, this haults my task sequence and doesn't proceed until I press ok on the machine. It then proceeds to autologin and process the rest of the State Restore portion of the task sequence. On individual computers, this is no issue, but between the 4 of us (my team mates and myself), we process about 30 computers a day.

So, the question is: how can I stop the computer from restarting after the domain recover step; OR how can I disable the login notice after domain recovery but before shutdown? Keep in mind, this doesn't happen in the MDT 2012 / Win7 deployment scenario.

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:08 PM

Answers

• In addition to what Ty suggested - staging OU - you can also opt to join the domain later in the task sequence, such as the process mentioned at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alex_semi/archive/2009/08/28/avoiding-legan-notice-that-breaks-mdt-autologon.aspx . I've used this process before and it works pretty well.

-Nick O.

• Proposed as answer by fapw Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Parnell Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:48 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 11:22 PM
  • These easiest way to do this is to create a deployment OU that doesn't have the notice.  Then when the deployment is done you could move the machines to their proper destination OU.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 2, 2015 7:10 PM

All replies

• These easiest way to do this is to create a deployment OU that doesn't have the notice.  Then when the deployment is done you could move the machines to their proper destination OU.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 2, 2015 7:10 PM
  • In addition to what Ty suggested - staging OU - you can also opt to join the domain later in the task sequence, such as the process mentioned at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alex_semi/archive/2009/08/28/avoiding-legan-notice-that-breaks-mdt-autologon.aspx . I've used this process before and it works pretty well.

-Nick O.

• Proposed as answer by fapw Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Parnell Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:48 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 11:22 PM
  • As I don't have AD permissions to create OU's and manipulate GPO, and the process of requesting the altering our existing staging OU would have taken more time than would be beneficial, I attempted the link in your fix and found it almost flawless. The only thing I find it lacking is the necessity of manually rebooting upon TS completion, as this was not necessary in an MDT 2012 / Win7 environment, but I always manually reboot anyway, so this isn't so much a gripe as much as an observation.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Unfortunately, I just run the MDT. I do not have AD permissions to manipulate OU's or GPO policies, and the process required to manipulate either is neither easy nor expeditious. While I agree, this would be the ideal fix, this is literally the 3rd Windows 8 machine on our network and I'm unsure of our GPO admin's capabilities with Win8, and I know no Win8 specific policies have been created.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:51 PM
  • As I don't have AD permissions to create OU's and manipulate GPO, and the process of requesting the altering our existing staging OU would have taken more time than would be beneficial, I attempted the link in your fix and found it almost flawless. The only thing I find it lacking is the necessity of manually rebooting upon TS completion, as this was not necessary in an MDT 2012 / Win7 environment, but I always manually reboot anyway, so this isn't so much a gripe as much as an observation.

Whatever you FinishAction is set to do is what will happen at the end.  The valid values in customsettings.ini are:

action

Where action is one of the   following:

• SHUTDOWN. Shuts   down the target computer.
    • REBOOT. Restarts   the target computer.
    • RESTART.   Same as REBOOT.
    • LOGOFF. Log   off the current user. If the target computer is currently running Windows PE,   then the target computer will be restarted.
    • blank. Exit   the Deployment Wizard without performing any additional actions. This is the default   setting.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:56 PM