none
Timesheet Status : Waiting for aproval or Rejected? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The Timesheet Manager rejected the timesheet of a Team Member.

In his Timesheets page, the Team Member can read : Status = Rejected.

In the details of his Timesheet : the Status Process is still "Waiting for approval".

What did I miss?

Thanks

Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

without the Task Status Manager Approval , there is no TimesheetLine Approval required. Therefore Status colmn is blank - since there is nothing to "tell" on line level.

Regarding "Approval of timesheet line by project manager /status manager"... : This is not Status Update and will not be reflected in project plan without SEM. Without SEM, it is a kind of "third" approval. In my opinion, it is just a way to inform the PM what happens, even when it is not reflected in plan.

To get hours entered in timesheets updated in project plan, SEM is the only option.

For your patch level: when you have more questions, I will search my archived virtual harddisks, maybe I can find with a status back from 2011. Currently I have only CUs 02/12 and 06/12 on active servers. Just let me know, if necessary - when we don't see the same. But I think it is the case now?

Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

not sure, since I don't know your settings. Since you haven't SEM enabled, I assume that user entered hour in Tasks and submitted them. These status updates are waiting in PM's Approval Center. Possible?

If I am wrong, please give a few words about the process and the settings for timesheet.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Thanks Barbara,

We are using Timesheet only, we don't enter time in Tasks.

The Timesheet Manager for this resource rejected the timesheet. So, in the Manage Timesheets page, the resource can read "Rejected" in the Status column for the Timesheet row.

But if the resource drills down in the details of this timesheet, the Process Status displays "Waiting for appoval".

Any idea?

Thanks again

• Edited by WLID1966 Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:12 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Ok, so I understood correctly. I assume it is a sort of exception?

Is Tasks page completely hidden? You can open it by default clicking on My Work and Tasks. I can only imagine that your collague entered time on this page by mistake? This should be the case, if you mean to open task detail page by clicking on task name in timesheet, when you write drill down?

Is Task Status Manager Approval enabled, in Timesheet Settings and Defaults? This can lead to the same behaviour: Timesheet rejected, but Status Approva still pending. Are you able to start a delegate session for project manager of affected project, to look at his approval center?

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Is Tasks page completely hidden? : No. The user can see it (We expect to hide this page). May be he tried to increase the duration of one task in this place.

when you write drill down? ... The user was in his timesheet list (where one of them was "Rejected")

He clicked on the "My Timesheet" link to drill down to the details of his rejected timesheet : the Status is still "Waiting for Approval". In fact, that the same Status for all of his other timesheets

Is Task Status Manager Approval enabled ? Yes it is enabled.

PS : The Approval Center is empty. But when I open the project in Project Pr2010, I get the warning : Some Team Members submitted a new plan update. do you want to check these updates and apply them? I clicked Yes but the Approval Center is still empty.

Thanks for your help

• Edited by WLID1966 Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:42 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

if Task Status Manager Approval  is enabled, should have been my first question, sorry.

This setting causes to system to submit all timesheet entries as timesheetline updates to Project Manager / Status Manager of the project, since he has to be aware what is going on. With submitting timesheet, it is of course also submitted to Timesheet Manager for Timesheet approval. But hours take two ways:

• Approval by timesheet manager (or rejection)
    • Approval of timesheet line by project manager /status manager.

In your case, timesheet manager has rejected. However, this does not apply to timesheetlines. They are still waiting for approval in Approval Center. So they should be there. I know that it is empty in yor case - is there perhaps any filter applied?

Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:58 PM
  • What is your patch level? I would like to reproduce, if necessary.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Barbara,

I tried again without the Task Status Manager Approval  option. It seems that it worked:

The user can see the status "Rejected" in his Timesheets list view. If he drills down in one timesheet details, the "Status" column is blanck. Is it the normal behavior? 

the second point: "Approval of timesheet line by project manager /status manager"... does it still work without SEM ?

My patch for Project Server: 14.0.5123.5000. I think it is the SP1 + June 2011 CU.

Thanks

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

without the Task Status Manager Approval , there is no TimesheetLine Approval required. Therefore Status colmn is blank - since there is nothing to "tell" on line level.

Regarding "Approval of timesheet line by project manager /status manager"... : This is not Status Update and will not be reflected in project plan without SEM. Without SEM, it is a kind of "third" approval. In my opinion, it is just a way to inform the PM what happens, even when it is not reflected in plan.

To get hours entered in timesheets updated in project plan, SEM is the only option.

For your patch level: when you have more questions, I will search my archived virtual harddisks, maybe I can find with a status back from 2011. Currently I have only CUs 02/12 and 06/12 on active servers. Just let me know, if necessary - when we don't see the same. But I think it is the case now?

Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Barbara,

Thanks a lot for your deep investigation!

That was a great help (as usual :)

Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

you are welcome! Sorry that I asked the most important question quite late.

Task Status Manager Approval  option is disabled by default without SEM and enabled with SEM. To have it enabled without SEM was new to me.

Good luck!
    Barbara

Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:42 PM