Add .exe installs to install silently during MDT from network share? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I do this?  I'm trying to install an application that comes in .exe form (that will not extract to a folder that I can tell) and looking to add this as an application in the MDT applications folder so it is available during MDT push install.  Thanks.
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi

That depends on who has made the .exe file and with what packages program.

You can tri to run the .exe with /? or /help - if that does not give you a hint.

Take a look in this : http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php there is a lot of possibility.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:50 PM
  • Hi

That depends on who has made the .exe file and with what packages program.

You can tri to run the .exe with /? or /help - if that does not give you a hint.

Take a look in this : http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php there is a lot of possibility.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

Right I know what you're saying.  I've figured out the command for iit and it works fine.  I was more talking about how to get it integrated into MDT as a working "Application" so I can put it in the task sequence.  What the process is to adding it.  I've only added applications up to this point that had the whole installer extracted to a folder then just pointed MDT there when it asked me where the files were.  I don't know how to properly add .exe installers that can't be extracted to a folder to MDT.
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Hi

Everything you can run from a commandline you can run as and application in MDT.

ex. "install.exe /silent" as the commandline. Then you have your application.

In the Task Sequence you just add the application as an action under custom task.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

Sunday, May 29, 2016 7:04 PM
  • The add application wizard is fairly straightforward. Just read the text as you go through the wizard.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 9:16 PM
  • Hi FuzzyReets,

When adding an application, the wizard only lets you select a folder, not a specific .EXE file.  Is this what you are asking about?

The solution is to just make a folder and the put the single .exe file in that folder. Then go back to the wizard and import that folder. Seems a bit weird until you get used to it since we are so trained to select specific files.

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Hi FuzzyReets,

When adding an application, the wizard only lets you select a folder, not a specific .EXE file.  Is this what you are asking about?

The solution is to just make a folder and the put the single .exe file in that folder. Then go back to the wizard and import that folder. Seems a bit weird until you get used to it since we are so trained to select specific files.

Yes exactly.

Okay.  So which option do I choose when doing it this way?

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:44 PM
  • The second choice. 

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:46 PM
  • I always use the first choice "application with source files" and it works for me. Not sure what the other ones do. :)
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:39 AM
  • If you want to do network installs from somewhere else on the network as per your question then "Application without source files or elsewhere on the network." Would make sense wouldn't it?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:02 AM