Outlook 2016 on Exchange Preview Pane Slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with Outlook after the latest update that affect the reading pane when connection speed is slow.  I have set the checkbox to Use Outlook Cached Exchange Mode, so technically there shouldn't be anything Outlook is "looking" for from the servers when loading messages, since they are supposed to completely downloaded already.  So I cant see as to why there should be any lag when in Online Mode versus Offline mode, but there definitely is.  When in Offline Mode I do not get anything extra in my reading pane so I dont understand why this should be of impact.

I had this issue a couple years ago with the very first installation of Outlook 2016.  I removed and reinstalled the software and the issue went away.  Then Outlook auto updated and the issue came back. I once again removed and reinstalled, disabled automatic updates, and for a couple years now the issue had not returned.  One day I decide to go ahead and re-enable updates to try and get the product up to date, and now I have this issue again
    Monday, September 2, 2019 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Rick J Morris,

>> One day I decide to go ahead and re-enable updates to try and get the product up to date, and now I have this issue again

What's the detailed version of Outlook?

Does Outlook take a long time to show emails in Reading Pane?

I checked the latest version of Outlook 2016 and Outlook 365 but haven’t seen any issues when viewing emails in Reading Pane.

Does it only occur under Online mode? If yes, please switch to Cached Exchange mode. Cached mode is very good for users with high latency connections to Exchange, as accessing the local cache isolates the user from delays in connectivity to the server and the client generates much less network traffic.

>> When in Offline Mode I do not get anything extra in my reading pane so I dont understand why this should be of impact.

What do you mean by “not get anything extra”?

Under offline mode, outlook disconnected from server. We can only see messages which are already downloaded, in Reading Pane. You’ll not receive new emails.

If issue happens after update on both online mode and cached Exchange mode, I’d like to recommend you create a new profile.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Perry

Thanks for the Reply.

In my original message, second sentence, I indicated that I Outlook was already set in Cached Exchange Mode.  It was in Cached Exchange Mode before the update and remained in Cached Exchange Mode after the update.

Yes there is a lag in the reading pane when going from message to message.  Its about a 3-5 second lag.  That's what this whole thread is about.  It is in fact my problem.

>>What do you mean by “not get anything extra”?

What I am saying is that there appears to be no benefit to going into offline mode except that the lag is removed from the preview pane when switching between emails.  Since I am ALREADY in Cached Exchange Mode, I would have already downloaded the messages that are being displayed in the the preview pane, thus, when previewing them, there's nothing extra to receive from the servers so there should be no connection issue causing the lag.  I'm only trying to view the massages I have already downloaded.  Why would there be any lag when viewing pre-downloaded messages while in Online Mode and not any lag when viewing the same pre-downloaded messages while in Offline Mode.

My OST file is 16GB so I'll have to do this while on a better connection.  I am skeptical about this solution for two reasons.  One, I have done this procedure before during my first fight with this a couple years ago and it didnt fix anything.  Two, I have read several users over multiple forums complaining about this same issue dating all the way back to 2013 that rebuilding a profile fixed nothing.

There has to be a smoking gun on this.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Performance issue could be related to the size of local data file. According to the official article, the recommended size would be around 10 GB. 

The larger the data file, the more application pauses you may experience.

To resolve this problem, reduce the size of your Outlook data file by moving or archiving items from the file.

Please check the steps in this article to archive mailbox and then see if there are any improvements.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:14 AM
  • Hi Rick,

Any updates on this issue? Just check if there are anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:22 AM
  • Perry

I must maintain access to those earlier messages. 

Archiving is not an option for me.  I dont believe this is related to file size since it only occurred after an update and this issue only occurs when in online mode and this occurred over a year ago when the file size was smaller and fixing the issue required reinstalling the application... 

I dont see how the file size is only an issue when in online mode.  Does not seem right to say that the same file being the same exact size behaves differently in online mode than it does in offline mode

It also says "More than 10 GB: When the .ost file reaches this size, short pauses begin to occur on most hardware"

"Most Hardware"

The hardware on this computer is pretty good with a Newer Generation Solid State HD and should not be an issue.   The issue is with the application somehow all of the sudden accessing Exchange server while switching between messages in reading pane as if it suddenly for some reason stopped caching messages when its been told to do so.

Sunday, September 8, 2019 9:30 PM
  • Hi Rick,

>>It was in Cached Exchange Mode before the update and remained in Cached Exchange Mode after the update...........and this issue only occurs when in online mode....

I'd like to double confirm with you that this issue only occurs under Online mode, right? If you are using Online mode, Outlook directly retrieves data from server instead of local data file. Messages are not pre-downloaded.

As mentioned above, your connection speed is slow. So, it's understandable that Outlook may need time to get data from server.

How long does Outlook take to show content in Reading Pane?

In addition, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, September 9, 2019 8:05 AM
    Monday, September 9, 2019 8:05 AM
  • Perry

Yes that is confirmed I am using exchange in Cached Exchange Mode.  (See Photos Below.)  I think the confusion here is that when I'm saying I am in Online Mode vs Offline Mode Im talking about the button on the ribbon bar that allows you to "Work Offline".  (See Photos Below) When that button is clicked all messages snap fast into the reading pane when selected, like they used to do when in Normal Online Mode before Outlook did an update.

So, again.. 

1. I am using outlook in Cached Exchange Mode.

2. Messages are very slow to load into the reading pane, usually 3-5 seconds, sometimes outlook completely stalls for 10-20 seconds and you'll see the "Outlook Not Responding" in the top left corner for that 10-20 second duration, then it returns to normal 3-5 second slowness. This pattern of slowness continues for as long as I stay in Online Mode.

3. I can press the "Work Offline" button and disconnect from the exchange server and the pattern of slowness I described in #2 vanishes and messages quickly snap up into the reading pane on the Outlook Not Responding Stall never repeats itself.

4. When I return to online mode by disabling the "Work Offline" Button the issue returns and the pattern of slowness resumes.

Safe Mode Does not Fix issue.

I made a backup of my ost file and went ahead and archived anything past 2 years to see if this fixes anything.  It does not.  Issue still persists.  This process archived nearly half of all my messages but only cut down approximately 1 GB worth of file size, while the archive file is 6GB.  In addition to this, clicking the messages while in the archived Inbox also reproduces the pattern of slowness.

So as of right now the only thing that helps the issue is to click the "Work Offline" button.  But that's not practical nor is it supposed to happen.  Point blank, if outlook is in cached mode IT SHOULD NOT BE GOING TO THE SERVER TO GET ANYTHING MESSAGE RELATED UNLESS I TELL IT TO SEND AND RECEIVE!!  Once the messaged are already downloaded there shouldn't be a lag to get those already downloaded messages into the reading pane when clicking on them.

Thanks

Monday, September 9, 2019 2:12 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

If we change to another network, will same issue occur?

Could I know what’s the detailed version of Office? In addition to the updates to Office, please also install updates to Windows to see if it helps.

When error occurs, please also have a look at Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if any fault module will be recorded there so that we can do more research.

Paste the detailed error here if it exists.

Besides, we can repair Office to see if it helps. To do this, please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit and then choose Change. Click Repair.

If you are using Office 365, we could use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) to run tests. Select "Outlook" > "Outlook stops responding or freezes". For more details, please refer to this link.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:02 AM
  • When you say network, are you talking about different Exchange Network or a new network like a new service provider network?

If new Echange network then I have no idea how to answer that question nor do I have any different exchange server to connect to.

If new service provider, I have experienced this issue with this application over 4 different connections points.  Home, Office, Verizon MiFi, and a customers network.  The slowest speed would be my home network which isnt terribly slow, 10Mbit/s Down, 2 Mbit/s UP, and my fastest speed would have been in the 100Mbit ranges both Up and Down.  Both exhibit a degradation in Outlook responsiveness in the reading pane and both exhibit random hangups, however the slower the speed the worse the overall experience.

Nothing to report in the Application Logs in Event Viewer.  No Errors just Information entries.  I saved a log file filtered for Outlook but I don't think this website will let me attach it.

Will try the repair now to see if any difference is noticed.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Repair does absolutely nothing.

Version 1908 (Build 11929.20254 Click-to-Run)

I dont know why that is back to click to run instead of MSI, I downloaded the full version of office and installed from hard disk on my last go around because that click to run nonsense is what I believe caused this issue the first time.  Looks like the update caused this issue again by reinstalling the click to run component to process the update instead of using the traditional MSI that came packaged with the original full download.

Ill go back into my Microsoft account and re-download the software seeing as how I think this troubleshooting has hit a dead end.  This is most likely a software bug, related to Click-to-Run.

Need to be spending my time doing my job, not doing doing Micrososfts' job troubleshooting bugs.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I can understand your feelings. If this issue doesn't occur on MSI version of Office. You can install MSI version currently as a workaround.

I'll keep doing more research and will post back if there are any findings.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hey Perry

Appreciate it.  I wasn't able to find my old copy of the MSI version.  So I grabbed the latest installer off my Microsoft account page.  It is a click to run for sure.  The re-install was successful.  No longer any lag.

Same OST file size @ 16GB.

Same Plugins installed.

Same Settings.

Just a fresh install.

I suppose the best thing to do is never update the product...and this wont happen again.

Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Hey Perry

Appreciate it.  I wasn't able to find my old copy of the MSI version.  So I grabbed the latest installer off my Microsoft account page.  It is a click to run for sure.  The re-install was successful.  No longer any lag.

Same OST file size @ 16GB.

Same Plugins installed.

Same Settings.

Just a fresh install.

I suppose the best thing to do is never update the product...and this wont happen again.

So glad to see that the lag goes away after reinstalling. Are you using a previous version now? Currently, I haven't found related reports regarding this issue on version 1908. I also checked Release note of both Office and windows. 

You can disable the update via File > Office Account > Update Options. We may check other versions in the future such as version 1909 and then test the results.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:08 AM
  • This is a brief summary of this thread:

Issue Symptom:

Emails slow to be opened in Reading Panel after upgrading Office. It doesn't occur when working offline.

(Possible) Cause:

corrupted registered files or settings for Office

Solution:

Reinstall Office

Reference Links:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/download-and-install-or-reinstall-office-365-or-office-2019-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:36 AM
  • I had the same issue, seems to be solved if I untick the option "On slow connections download only headers". My connection is definitely not slow (> 250mbps download, >15mpbs upload, ping 6ms), so not sure what is the threshold for a "slow connection", but probably Outlook was only downloading the headers even in Cached Exchange Mode, hence resulting in a lag in the Preview pane
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:36 PM