Vista Home to Vista Premium upgrade problem RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgradedfrom Vista Home to Vista Premium, after the installation was complete Iinstalled the recommended updates and restarted the system.  It went to the logging off screen and will not go any farther.  I can shut the system down hard, though it is not recommended.  It does this ever time I shutdown.  Also I do not have any no sound even though the sound card and speakers were installed and showed that they were working properly.  

Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Roger,

Please test the issue in Safe Mode. Can we shut down the computer in Safe Mode?

If so, I suggest tying Method 1 in the following method to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot procedure to prevent background programs from interfering with a game or a program that you currently use

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

If the issue does not occur after performing Method 1, we can try Method 3 to find the cause of the issue.

If the issue also occurs in Safe Mode, I suggest restoring the system to a state when the issue did not occur. Then reinstall these updates one at a time to find the problematic update.

As for the sound issue, I suggest installing the latest sound card driver.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:14 AM