Right Protected Folder explorer (RPFe) command line doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Currently, we are trying the RPFe to protect non office document. I have no problem with GUI version, but we would like to have automatic protection for a bunch of non office documents. I set it up together with FCI, using guidance and scripting available on this link: 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/10/15/automatic-rms-protection-of-non-ms-office-files-using-fci-and-rights-protected.aspx

The thing is, the documents are not protected by custom File Management Task (using script from the link above). Before i go any further to analyze any possibility that may cause this issue, i tried to protect it manually using RPFe command line options, something like this.

RPFexplorer /create /Rpf:<path>\file.rpf TemplateId:{..} /File:<path>\test.txt /Owner:email@a.local

But there is no error result, neither the encrypted file. Anyone has experienced this before?

How do i found what the problem is? Is there any log file that i can refer to?

Thank you.

• Edited by casper000 Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:15 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 7:49 AM

Answers

• There is a special trick with powershell script in article. You need to pass the template GUID to script in format "{xx-xx-xx....}" otherwise it omits the {} symbols and do not works

For test purpose before going to FCI integration you shall launch script via Powershell console with this minimal set of parameters:

.\rpfe.ps1 "{Template_GUID}" c:\tmp\file_to_be_packed.txt

RPF container shall be created in same folder as original file and original file deleted

And even if this way do not works you shall troubleshoot the rpfexplorer.exe with sample syntaxes found here

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:01 AM

All replies

• No one ever try this feature?
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:15 AM
  • Hello there,

Can you please set up MSIPC trace (as described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh535245(v=vs.85).aspx), run the command again, and upload the logs?

Thanks,

Gagan

Gagan Gulati Senior Program Manager, Information Protection Microsoft Corporation

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:07 AM
  • There is a special trick with powershell script in article. You need to pass the template GUID to script in format "{xx-xx-xx....}" otherwise it omits the {} symbols and do not works

For test purpose before going to FCI integration you shall launch script via Powershell console with this minimal set of parameters:

.\rpfe.ps1 "{Template_GUID}" c:\tmp\file_to_be_packed.txt

RPF container shall be created in same folder as original file and original file deleted

And even if this way do not works you shall troubleshoot the rpfexplorer.exe with sample syntaxes found here

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:01 AM