Password Update... Please help. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am Arun, currently working as SysAdmin. In our network there are both desktops and laptops. But I am facing issue with the laptops users. The issue is as follows, most of the user call me and say that they have forgot their AD password and help them to reset it. I will reset it through AD, but the problem is all desktop users connected to the LAN are able to log in, but the laptop users using wifi cannot log in with their new password. They are logging in using the old password to the system, but they are accessing their outlook mail using new password. Once they are connected to the LAN the new password is  reflected to their system also. Is there any way to change this, like how is it possible to reflect the changed password to laptop wifi users also, because this critical, since most laptop users work on client sites where no LAN connection is available. Please provide an update..
    Monday, March 26, 2012 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi

it really depends on your wireless set up.  It's quite possible users only initially log in with the cached credentials and then authenticate against te DC's.

do you know how your wireless connection works?

Cheers

Alex

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Users are logging into a secure wireless network. The problem is when we reset the user password they cannot use the new password to log in. But when they are connected to LAN the new passwrod gets reflected. Is there any way that the new password gets reflected to wireless network also, because some users work from home through vpn. But when we  reset the password they cannot login to there system until they get connected to our LAN.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Hi

there are two separate issue here which, although they ahve similar symptoms need discussing separately.

1. logging in through the secure wireless network when a password has been reset

2. logging in through VPN when a password has been reset

For the secure wireless issue what is the security that has been set up on the wireless? Are you suing a thrid party product to make a secure wirelss connection?

For the VPN do users have to enter their authentication details twice to make a VPN connection.  What often happens with VPN is that users initially authenticate against locally cached credentials and then a VPN connection is made at which point the details are authenticated against your DC. What product are you using for VPN?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:18 AM