Outlook 365 Search function does not work. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to help a user that has an issue where his search function does not work.
    He is using Office 365.  When he attempts a search Outlook shows....
    "We're having trouble fetching results from the server..."
    I have checked most of the usual stuff like making sure Indexing is configured for Outlook.
    Everything looks correct but it does not work.
    I asked him when it last worked and he said "right before you joined my computer to the domain".
    What else can I check to get this going?  Thanks for the help.

Monday, May 18, 2020 7:52 PM

Answers

• This issue is due to a Microsoft update.  Microsoft has not yet put out a follow up update to correct this.  I resolved the issue with a registry edit.
    • Marked as answer by Poly Admin Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:24 PM
  • Sure.  Here is the registry setting.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\search]
    "DisableServerAssistedSearch"=dword:00000001
    • Marked as answer by Poly Admin Friday, May 22, 2020 3:24 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2020 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Welcome to our forum.
    What's the type of your account? POP, IMAP or Exchange?

According to your description, it seems that the issue is related to your domain addition. Do other users who are in the same domain have the same issue? Can you search normally if your log in to the web mail of your mailbox?

In order to further confirm if your issue is related to specific mailbox and specific keywords, it is suggested to add other mailbox to your Outlook and search other keywords within "All Outlook Items" to see if the issue has any difference.

If the issue still continues, please try the other suggestions in this article: Troubleshooting Outlook search issues and see if it works.

Hope this can be useful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 2:35 AM
  • Other users are already part of the domain before Outlook is configured.

I will look at the article you referenced to make sure I have checked everything.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:07 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

I will be standing by for further update from you. Hope you issue could be resolved soon.

Any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 9:29 AM

• This issue is due to a Microsoft update.  Microsoft has not yet put out a follow up update to correct this.  I resolved the issue with a registry edit.
    • Marked as answer by Poly Admin Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:24 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to see you have fixed your problem.

By the way, do you mind sharing your workaround with us so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, May 22, 2020 9:40 AM
  • Sure.  Here is the registry setting.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\search]
    "DisableServerAssistedSearch"=dword:00000001
    • Marked as answer by Poly Admin Friday, May 22, 2020 3:24 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2020 3:24 PM