none
Leveling under allocating resources RRS feed

• Question

•     I have a single project file with 6 different resources, one team of 4 and one team of 2.  I have navigated a relatively accurate project schedule by assigning all 4 to each task in their department and letting leveling take care of assignment on a day to day basis.  However near the end of it 2 resources on my team of 4 see no action, while the other 2 have regular filled out days.

I have tried various ways of shuffling the assignments and availability (default availability is uniform across all 4 team members) to no avail.  It seems like it would be simple to have all 4 resources working in parallel as they have been (even if they are now all on the same task), what am I missing?

Edit:

Tasks are effort driven with plenty of work to spread across 4 resources over multiple days/weeks

• Edited by worseone Friday, April 4, 2014 6:29 PM clarity
    Friday, April 4, 2014 6:27 PM

All replies

• Mate, could you gently take some screenshots to help us to help you?

My abstraction layer is getting dazed at this hour of the day.

Cheers

Friday, April 4, 2014 9:41 PM
  • worseone,

I agree with Maicco, the problem description only raises more questions. There are 6 resources in two teams but "all 4" are assigned to each task. What about the other 2 resources? If all resources are evenly assigned, why did you level?

John

Saturday, April 5, 2014 12:11 AM
  • I agree with others that you will probably have to show us what you have got. Screenshots Ok, Dropbox better.

Trying to answer the question without seeing the source of it is like trying to work out the rules of chess by being allowed to see the progress of a game for one minute every 20 minutes.

Sunday, April 6, 2014 12:37 AM
  • You have let Project to level assignments on a day-by-day basis and see no action for two resources - which means are they still overallocated on day basis.

What is the options you see in Resource Leveling dialog? 

Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project

Sunday, April 6, 2014 3:39 AM
  • Sorry to bump in here but I think there may be a basic misunderstanding.  Your title says "Leveling under allocating resource."  If you are expecting Project Resource Leveling to ensure that your resources are assigned at their maximum units to all tasks - that is not what the resource leveling command does.  It will not assign resources to tasks to ensure that everyone is busy.  If you want to assign all four members of the team - you need to manually assign them.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:14 PM
  • Wow Julie! I didn't read it right - Leveling under allocating resources :)

If it is Project 2010 or 2013 Pro, Team Planner view (View ribbon) can be used to know when the resources are not allocated any work and move the task to those days.

If a detailed view is needed, Resource Usage could be the best. For each resource, we can know the list of tasks they are assigned to and on the right side (time phased data) of this view, apart from Work assigned the Remaining Availability and Percent allocation (from Detail Styles) can help to see how much the resource is utilized.

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Monday, April 7, 2014 12:53 AM
  • @Julie,

I have all the resources assigned to each individual task.  Project just seems a little shy near the end of the year about using more than 2/4 of the assigned resource.  The rest of the year's span every resource is being used to capacity, and then two of my resources are at capacity and two are completely unused near the end.  Tasks are ASAP with no constraints, availability and units are uniform for each resource. Happy to clarify more on any points necessary.

Regards,

Galen

P.S.

Apologies for no screen shots, my account isn't verified yet, working on that.  If there is an alternative way to communicate the needful I am happy to explore that in the interim.

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:21 PM
  • I understand about the no screen shots.  You say that all four resources are assigned to tasks but then two are "unused" near the end.  Are your resources assigned as 4 individuals (Sue, Mary, Pete, Mike) or at 400% Developers?  What occurs if you try to assign the two "unused" resources to the tasks with the other two?  Are they overallocated?
    Monday, April 7, 2014 7:28 PM
  • My resources are 4 individuals, with the assignment of each to every task in their department, only available up to 100% of usage.

Rudimentary graphical representation:

Task Name     |     Duration   | Effort Driven | Work      |   Resource Names

Mort               | 13.03 Days?  |       No          | 104 hrs   |

--Mort Netsys | 1.73 days?    |       Yes         |  70 hrs    | AD, TW, AG, WA

--Mort DB        | .44 Days?     |       Yes         |   34 hrs    | MD, RJ

The problem that is coming up is with the Netsys task. Near the end of the year only AD and TW will be actually working, AG and WA will be sitting idle with no hours that week, though they are all assigned to the task.

I've tried to coax Project (2010) to have AG and WA work on the task at all by putting AD and TW as unavailable for the week that the task is landing on, but it just shuffles other things around and doesn't actually put them to work.  There are no over allocations occurring in either scenario.

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Is this a project file you can share through email?  If you display the Task Usage view and show Remaining Availability for AG & WA during their "idle" time?

Do AG & WA have fewer hours assigned than TW and AD?

Monday, April 7, 2014 9:42 PM
  • Based on what I observe, you have set Effort Driven Yes; task effort should have been evenly distributed across AD, TW, AG and WA - but the effort is not spread evenly or their individual dates are quite different

It looks like the work contour, assignment units and assignment delay needs attention. Change your view to Task Usage and insert the Work Contour, Assignment Units and Assignment Delay column - see this http://i.imgur.com/6X7lxWI.png

Work contour should be Flat, Assignment Delay should be 0 days, Assignment units should be 100% but depends on how much they are allocated on that task

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:37 AM
  • @Julie

Yes I can email the project.

Task usage shows high Remaining availability for AG and WA, and they have fewer total hours assigned to them.

I do have some tasks above this common pool of tasks that have unequal distribution of hours between these 4 resources, with TW/AD taking a bulk of them.  I expected that Project would allow AG/WA to start on other assignments but it appears to avoid that by scheduling in these gaps.  I removed the aforementioned block of tasks and leveling created an equal balance.  I tried adding "finish no later than" constraints to force project to eliminate these inefficiencies but was unsuccessful.  Any ideas?

@Sai

Assignment units are 100%, no delays, and work contour defaults to flat although leveling seems to change that in some scattered instances.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Yes, can you email the file to me too sai.prasad.b[at]gmail[dot]com

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:22 PM