Win 10 upgrade, now access to PST is denied RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve upgraded over a hundred computers from 7 to 10 recently and last night I did one but I had an interesting problem after. When I went to open Microsoft Outlook, it said that the local user account didn’t have permission to access the PST file which was strange. It’s in the default location “c:\username\documents\outlook files\outlook2.pst” so I checked the permission on her documents folder, the outlook files folder and the PST itself and her user account has full access on all of them.

I can however search for Outlook in the start menu, right click and run as admin and it will open fine. It’s just the shortcut pinned to the taskbar that gives the access denied error. I made sure the user has full permissions to outlook.exe but that didn’t seem to help either. Also ran a scanpst.exe and repair but no luck.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:16 PM

Answers

• So I was able to resolve it by deleting the pinned outlook icon from the taskbar, right clicking the outlook icon from the start menu and creating a new shortcut on the desktop. From the desktop outlook shortcut, right clicked and went to properties and advanced. Checked off the box to “run as administrator” and re-pinned to the taskbar.

• Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Monday, June 17, 2019 12:16 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi pstoric,

According to my research, this issue is most likely to happen when you made the switch from logging on to Windows with a local account to Microsoft Account while the pst-file somehow was in use. In that case the permission adjustment for the pst-file was skipped.

Please check this article to see if you’ve set permission correctly.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

>> I can however search for Outlook in the start menu, right click and run as admin and it will open fine. It’s just the shortcut pinned to the taskbar that gives the access denied error.

If users directly double click outlook.exe, can they open Outlook client normally?

Do you mean outlook can only be opened with Administrator permission?

If it only occurs to the shortcut pinned to the taskbar, we can unpin it and then directly start Outlook from its installation folder. Click on outlook.exe and then pin it to taskbar again to test the results.

What’s your account type? POP? We can also create a new profile to see if same error occurs.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 14, 2019 2:25 AM
  • The user account was only a local account as I was the one setting them up. I only use local accounts if they are not domain joined computers in which this machine is not part of a domain.

No when the user goes to open outlook normally by double clicking, it will give the access denied error as seen above in the screenshot. It must be right clicked, and run as admin to open normally. Her user account (Bonnie) is part of the local administrators group.

Yes the account type is POP. 

I can easily create a new Outlook profile and move the PST but I wanted to see if there was a fix for this before doing that. Just seems strange that it's not working now. 

Friday, June 14, 2019 1:29 PM
  • Please have a look at Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if any fault module will be recorded there so that we can do more research.

Does this issue only happen to Outlook? Can users open Word or Excel normally?

Have you checked the permission of outlook.exe and the installation folder?

>> I can easily create a new Outlook profile and move the PST but I wanted to see if there was a fix for this before doing that.

If we want to see which access was blocked when opening Outlook, we may have to check logs. Here we mainly focus on general issues regarding Outlook client. This is a nice try to create a new profile on one problematic computer and then see the results.

(When creating a new profile, do not choose to use the original .pst file.)

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 17, 2019 7:09 AM
  • So I was able to resolve it by deleting the pinned outlook icon from the taskbar, right clicking the outlook icon from the start menu and creating a new shortcut on the desktop. From the desktop outlook shortcut, right clicked and went to properties and advanced. Checked off the box to “run as administrator” and re-pinned to the taskbar.

• Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Monday, June 17, 2019 12:16 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 12:01 PM

This is a nice workaround. I'm so glad to see you've found a way.

If you want to further research this issue, you could feel free post back.

By the way, would you mind marking your reply as answer? I believe this information will greatly benefit other users who read this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, June 17, 2019 12:11 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 12:10 PM