How to fix folder view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Vista tries to assign "intelligently" views that matches the best with the folder content, but this is not always wanted. If I want

1. By default, all views are "detail".
    2. Folders will remember later modifications and will not change it even if new contents (files, folders) are added into the folder. For example, if I specify "extra large icons" view for a folder containing pictures, even if later I copied thousands of txt/doc/pdf documents to the folder and essentially changed it to a "document" type folder rather than "Pictures and Videos", it will still retain the old "extra large icons" view which I specified, regardless of the content change.

Is there anyway to do that?

Bob

Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:16 AM

Answers

• There is a so called "fixit" available from Microsoft for all kind of  file and folder issues ( vista/7 ), a small program thait will automatically reset all to how it should work -

here you go  :

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/

What it fixes...
    • You cannot empty the Recycle Bin or delete a file or a folder inside the Recycle Bin.
    • When you try to rename or move a file, you receive the following error message: "The file or folder does not exist."
    • When you copy, move, rename, or delete a file on a network share, you receive the following error message: "There is a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost" or "The folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?"
    • Your View settings or customizations for one or more folders may be lost or incorrect.
    • You cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer, or you cannot select multiple items in a Windows Explorer window by holding the SHIFT key or the CTRL key while you click the items.
    • Some icons in My Computer, in Windows Explorer, on the desktop, or on the Quick Launch Bar change randomly.

Some more useful fixits - the main website for windows issues to repair by the wizards from Microsoft :

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

• Edited by Smartie77nrw Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:13 PM links
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Monday, December 13, 2010 4:24 PM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:08 PM

All replies

• There is a so called "fixit" available from Microsoft for all kind of  file and folder issues ( vista/7 ), a small program thait will automatically reset all to how it should work -

here you go  :

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/

What it fixes...
    • You cannot empty the Recycle Bin or delete a file or a folder inside the Recycle Bin.
    • When you try to rename or move a file, you receive the following error message: "The file or folder does not exist."
    • When you copy, move, rename, or delete a file on a network share, you receive the following error message: "There is a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost" or "The folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?"
    • Your View settings or customizations for one or more folders may be lost or incorrect.
    • You cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer, or you cannot select multiple items in a Windows Explorer window by holding the SHIFT key or the CTRL key while you click the items.
    • Some icons in My Computer, in Windows Explorer, on the desktop, or on the Quick Launch Bar change randomly.

Some more useful fixits - the main website for windows issues to repair by the wizards from Microsoft :

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

• Edited by Smartie77nrw Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:13 PM links
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Monday, December 13, 2010 4:24 PM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:08 PM
  • This fix works and thanks very much.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 4:25 PM