Moving Lync 2010 SQL Data to SFB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    In my environment we have planned to Migrate to Skype for Bussiness 2015 and at the moment we are using Lync 2010. Now my question is the existing Lync 2010 environment is having two Central Sites and each site has Standard edition deployed and paired each other for HA and Disaster Recovery and also each site has dedicated sql instances(we are not using SQL express) and now we are planning to migrate to SFB 2015 with same two central sites and with the new scenario we are going with Enterprise pool with new SQL server and below are my queries

1)how we can migrate SQL data from two different Lync 2010 standard edition to One SQL Server which is going to use for SFB?

2) With new design(SFB 2015) i am going to Use SQL ALways On , is it possible Production and DR site(paired pool) can i use the same SQL DB or do we need to have dedicated instance for Production and for DR?

Thanks Sekhar

Sunday, May 20, 2018 6:18 PM

All replies

•  Assuming ....You will be doing a swing migration of installing the SFB server additionally in the site and then migrating users .

For Standard edition lync 2010 servers which you are having it does not make sense if you are using dedicated SQL server  Yiu may be using it for archiving , Monitoring etc . 

Anyways you need to bring the new SFB enterprise edition server's in each site with proper SQL instance's and then Move the user's to the SFB pool from Lync 2010.

There are lot of migration options... ...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/upgrade

In short the better approach would be to bring a new SFB pool .. migrate users and then eventually copy or migrate other SQL instances and then decomission LYNC 2010.

2 )You need to have another instance of SQL DB with pairing with Production and DR pool

Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:50 PM
  • Hi Thanks for your reply,as you mentioned we are going with Installing new SFB and migrating the users to new pool.

I've a query Migrating the users from Lync 2010 to SFB  will not copy the content to the new SQL? it has to be done manually between the SQL? If yes in my scenario we have two Lync 2010 standard editions having pool paired(active - active sites)each other in this case how we need to copy the content from two places to single SQL server which is associated with SFB EE Pool.

Thanks Sekhar

Monday, May 21, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Hi Sekhar,

You cannot migrating the users from Lync 2010 to SFB ,you should update your Lync 2010 to the Lync 2013 server ,then migrate Lync 2013 to the skype for business 2015

You could  refer to the following link, then your migrate from Lync 2013 to SFB 2015.

https://ucsteps.com/tag/step-by-step-migration-from-lync-2013-to-skype-for-business-server-2015/

You have pool paired server ,one Standard editions server is a copy of the other server,you just following the above link steps

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 21, 2018 8:23 AM
  • We cannot Migrate from lync 2010 to sfb by using IN place upgrade ...

However yu can bring up another SFB pool and MIgrate users to this new pool

"Bring up a new Skype for Business Server 2015 pool and then migrate users to this new pool. You can then decommission the old Lync Server 2010 pool. Upgrading from Lync Server 2010 to Skype for Business Server 2015 is similar to upgrading from Lync Server 2010 to Lync Server 2013. "

• Proposed as answer by Khoj Sahiwala Monday, May 21, 2018 10:13 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Hello,

As per this article we can migrate the users from Lync 2010 to SFB  and also we are not performing InPlace upgrade

And my question any data on file share which is on  Lync 2010 standard edition how i can migrate to new pool for SFB, since Lync 2010 uses sql express edition where new Pool for SFB uses dedicated SQL instance in this case migrating the user will also migrate the data which is sitting on file share? I mean to say file share has conference meeting data which means the same data wil be migrating along with the user when migrating the users from Lync 2010 to SFB?

Thanks Sekhar

Monday, May 21, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Hi ,

The file share data is come from the sql express edition.so you just run the move CMD like the following link.

https://ucsteps.com/2015/05/18/step-by-step-migration-from-lync-2013-to-skype-for-business-server-2015-step-2/

You also could refer to the following link, there are some advice about the side by die migration strategy.

https://synchedup.co.uk/2015/07/02/demystifying-migrations-strategies-from-lync-to-skype-for-business/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:28 AM
  • any update shekhar
    Friday, May 25, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Monday, May 28, 2018 1:21 PM
  • Hi ,

Do you have some updates? If the reply help to you ,please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:53 AM