My app uses it's own directory as a temp folder and runs out of space? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app named Synergee that I'm trying to sequence on App-V v4.5, used for simulating water distribution systems.  When running a simulation, it creates a folder named Session1 in the main application folder.  After this folder is filled with about 130MB of files, it runs out of disk space.  If open a cmd window inside the bubble at this point and try to save more data to this directory, Windows tells me the drive is full.

I've made sure there is plenty of space on the disks, the client cache size is sufficiently large, and I've tried MNT and VFS installations with the same result.  As far as I know, I am unable to reconfigure the application to use %appdata% or %programdata% instead, although my next thing to try will be to install the application to one of these folders and see if it works then.

Does anyone know why my bubble is running out of virtual disk space?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The limitation of  the PKG-file (where any userdata is saved) is about 120-130mb.

Try to maintain the data outside of the virtual environment.

I don't believe that the limitation is documented somewhere?

/Znack

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:56 AM
  • I think I've found my answer already:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/ffab2ee3-232d-4e68-83f6-068dcaf9a1a1

I wonder if the latest service pack will fix this?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:57 AM
  • I wouldn't classify this as a "bug" but rather how PKG system has been designed originally (size of PKG files has 128 MB maximum).

Since PKG files are internally in the same container format as App-V Client's package cache file, I don't think it would be major thing for MS to increase maximum allocation size to something else but for some reason they haven't done it still (even in 4.6).

/Kalle

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Danny,

To overcome this problem, is it possible to make your sequence a VFS one and re-create necessary directory structure empty to real Program Files, including Session1 folder? This way changes would go to real PF and PKG's limitation would not be an issue.

Downside is, you have to mark both the application's main directory non-overridden/not fully virtualized as well as Session1 directory. This creates unfortunate dependency for those folders actually existing on real Program Files.. If both folders are fully virtualized in VFS, changes would not go to real equivalent folders present on the machine.

/Kalle

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:19 PM