MSN.com Image boxes are grayed out, can't see the GIF images. RRS feed

• Question

• On our windows 8.1 systems are not showing the GIF image boxes in IE 11.  Firefox and Chrome can show the images.  IE v11 will show the images if we launch IE as an Administrator or if Protect Mode is off for MSN.  Is this something that can be resolved at the workstation or is it a Network Setting on the Domain Server?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

Monday, July 6, 2015 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    If you are really sure they are gif images (and not Flash ads or animations)

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Play animations on web pages"

Group Policy setting for domain networks...
    Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer>Internet Control Panel>Advanced tab, "Play animations in Web Pages"

If they are really Flash ads...or Silverlight ads, then you may have ActiveX filtering turned on for the site.... Tools>ActiveX Filtering to turn it on/off for the site. (MSN sites are predominantly Silverlight based).
    or
    Your system administrators may be blocking Flash and Silverlight content (In the first instance contact your system administrators or company help desk for assistance).
    or
    You have disabled flash or Silverlight ActiveX controls.... Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons.... Flash is listed under Adobe Flash.... Silverlight is listed under Microsoft.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

It is really important that you include with your questions the exact address of any web sites that you are having issues with. The domains names of MSN sites around the world vary.... this way we can visit the exact web site page as you to make some tests and to give better answers.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for your response Mr. Rob!

I checked our settings and everything looks correct.

Play animations on web pages is on.

ActiveX Filtering is off.

We can test Flash and Silverlight with success in IE v11.

"http://www.msn.com/en-us/news" is one of the MSN pages we are having trouble with.

When I right click and check properties on some of the boxes it shows that it is a GIF  "http://static-news-eus.s-msn.com/sc/9b/e151e5.gif"

We noticed this after we upgraded Silverlight FirmWide.  However if I bring down a new image with the older version of Silverlight I can still reproduce the issue.  Windows updates went out about the same time as I pushed out the Silverlight update.

You also mention Flash, with Windows 8.1 and IE 11 Flash works a bit differently.  I do not see the Add-on in IE but after installing "Windows8.1-KB3074219-x64.msu" "If you are using Windows 8, Flash Player is now embedded into the operating system for Internet Explorer so there is no need to manually install.  Updates will automatically be made available through the built in Windows Update system."  I can test for Flash and it seems to be installed and working as expected however I do not see the Add-on in IE v11.  This same site "http://www.msn.com/en-us/news" works in Chrome and Firefox so I'm not so sure we are blocking anything at the Firewall.

Again the site works fine if Protect Mode is off or if IE v11 is "ran as an administrator"  I'm an Admin on my system and still have to run IE as an administrator or turn off Protect Mode in order to see the images or clips whatever they are called.

I called Support before posting here and they spent about 4 hours looking into this.  All they were able to figure out that if we launch IE as an Administrator it works.  The first guy i worked with suggested that this might be something that is controlled on the Domain server.  I asked him for documentation in that regards and we lost connection at that time.  So this is why I asked if anyone knows if this is controlled at the Domain Server or in the local IE settings?

Thanks in advance for your time!

• Edited by EPuariea Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hi,
    thanks for the link... it makes all the difference.... I did some tests and was able to reproduce the issue....
    however I am not able to offer you a workaround or settings tweak as the problem lies with the site/page.

If you are interested in investigating the problem, press f12 to display the developer tool and then select the Console tab, return to the MSN news page (keeping the Dev tools open) and refresh the page.... Any suppressed errors and warning are now listed in the Console tab of the dev tool...

SEC7118: XMLHttpRequest for http://sin1.g.adnxs.com/vevent?e=wqT_3QLABPS4ATcCAAACANYABQjIhvKsBRCioLm_-6q20woYw5C1-OSS1aYyIAEqLQnw2t9R-LbyPxHF5y4jmmfxPxk9CtejcD0ZQCGnxvSkJVr4PymuIsVIYi_6PzDHr8gBOJgCQIIMSAJQ3Ku7D1jktQNgAGjw2gNwAHi0jwKAAQGKAQNVU0SSAQNVU0SYAdgFoAFaqAEAsAEAuAECwAEFyAEA0AEA2AEA4AEA8AEA-gEJTkVXVVNFTjEyigJXdWYoJ2EnLCA1MjkwODIsIDE0MzYzMjA1ODQpO3VmKCdjJywgOTYyMTk5MywgMTQzNjMyMDU4NCk7dWYoJ3InLCAzMjQyOTUzMiwgMTQzNjMyMDU4NCk7kgKdASFPU1F4MHdqcG84c0VFTnlydXc4WUFDRGt0UU13QVRnQVFBQklnZ3hReDZfSUFWZ0FZS3NEYUFCd0FIZ0FnQUVBaUFFQWtBRUJtQUVCb0FFQ3FBRURzQUVBdVFHdUlzVklZaV82UDhFQnJpTEZTR0l2LWpfSkFZUmtmSWdHbl9FXzJRRUFBQUFBQUFEd1AtQUJBUFVCUHpXLVB3Li6aAh0hbVFaTlB3ajKgAPBCNUxVRElBQS7SAgDYAuYB4ALw-yLqAh1odHRwOi8vd3d3Lm1zbi5jb20vZW4tdXMvbmV3c_ICEAoFQ1BfSUQSBzk2MiEsyIADAIgDAZADAJgDAKADAaoDALADALgDAMADrALIAwDYA5T_EOADAOgDAPADAPgDAYAEAA..&dlo=1&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msn.com%2Fen-us%2Fnews&type=nv&nvt=5&bw=728&bh=90&sw=1366&sh=768&pw=1059&ph=6903&ww=1059&wh=512&x=1436320619762869185,229999,v,win,ie11,view5-1,90,,2 required Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS).
    File: news

there are quite few of these CORS errors on .gif files.

I do not work for nor represent MS, so I am not able to contact the site stakeholders to alert them of the problems/errors, but the forum moderators here may be able to do so... MSFT and MSN are separate entities. I imagine though that the MSN sites are closely monitored for performance and errors and that it will be addressed in due course.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:27 AM