none
IE issues after patch - kb2962872 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our users have suddenly encountered an issue where Internet Explorer (10 and 11 so far) crashes completely when they try and use our web application. This is related to the cumulative security patch as detailed in kb2962872.

Unfortunately, because IE crashes, we are finding it difficult to identify what the exact problem is with only the windows event log to go on.

Can anyone suggest how I can track down what the exact problem is ? I suspect the issue is related to javascript and Iframes.

Any help gratefully received ...

Thanks

Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• hi there,

i have actually just found the cause of the issue.

the issue was a document.createElement call. it worked flawlessly before the patch but not any more.

i'm still not sure why the browser would crash rather than just return an error. at one point it even caused my vm to BSOD - thanks microsoft !

I downloaded WinDbg which was next to useless to just identified the error using trial and error.

thanks also for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

debug from Visual Studio.

fist go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, and enable the debugging options. when a error occurs you should be prompted to open a debugging session in VS.

or

the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in noAddons mode.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:05 PM
  • i'll give that a try if if i can - i'm not sure that i have a machine that has that particular version of ie and visual studio installed. is there any other way to debug ?

are you sure that the debugger will be fired up before the crash event is raised in windows ?

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:48 PM
  • unfortunately, it looks like the browser crashes before any debugging can take place.

is there any other way that i can track what is actually causing the crash ?

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:38 AM
  • Does your web application includes an upload/download part?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/771e3435-1345-41cf-8682-d88abd5140a1/ie-10-and-11-freeze-after-kb2962872-web-application-with-file-uploaddownload?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:12 PM
  • hi there,

i have actually just found the cause of the issue.

the issue was a document.createElement call. it worked flawlessly before the patch but not any more.

i'm still not sure why the browser would crash rather than just return an error. at one point it even caused my vm to BSOD - thanks microsoft !

I downloaded WinDbg which was next to useless to just identified the error using trial and error.

thanks also for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:31 PM