wsus downstream server not showing up RRS feed

• Question

WSUS: 3.0 SP1
    Architecture: 3-tier WSUS, Level 1 approve/decline updates and sync with microsoft update websites; Level 2 is replica of Level 1; Level 3 is downstream servers of Level2 and configed into autonomous mode.

We have a 3-tier WSUS infrastructure in test mode. The WSUS.Level1 server gets updates directly from Microsoft Updates. WSUS.Level2 server is a replica server of Level 1 server, i.e., upstream server is WSUS.Level1.  There are more than 20 other Level 3 WSUS servers use WSUS.Level2 as the upstream servers. Level 3 servers are setup as autonomous mode at this moment.

The Level 3 servers were created from an image that were sealed and syspreped before restoring the Image.

Microsoft Updates Server -> WSUS.Level1 -> WSUS.Level2 -> 20 other WSUS Level 3 servers

Q1: there are only three Level 3 servers showing up in the Level 2 WSUS downstream server list (should be more as we have 20 WSUS level 3 servers). When I tried to manually sync from any Level 3  server, it will show up in the Level 2 WSUS downstream server list. However, it will replace one of the three servers that is already listed. Always 3 downstream servers showing up in Level2,  always! Any idea why this happens
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• The Level 3 servers were created from an image that were sealed and syspreped before restoring the Image.

Q1: there are only three Level 3 servers showing up in the Level 2 WSUS downstream server list (should be more as we have 20 WSUS level 3 servers). When I tried to manually sync from any Level 3  server, it will show up in the Level 2 WSUS downstream server list. However, it will replace one of the three servers that is already listed. Always 3 downstream servers showing up in Level2,  always! Any idea why this happens

<sigh>....

SYSPREP is not an appropriate tool to be used for imaging machines with *APPLICATIONS* installed, particularly if those applications use GUIDs to uniquely identify the machines, as WSUS downstream servers do.

So, ironically, only two threads earlier I answered this very identical scenario . . .

In theory, you should be able to do this to 'reset' these GUIDs...

1. Synchronize the downstream server so that it shows up in the console of the upstream server.

2. Set the downstream server synchronization schedule to MANUAL.

3. Modify the Options | Update Source and Proxy Server | Update Source page to make this an upstream server.

4. Delete the server from the Downstream Servers node of the upstream server's console.

5. Modify the Options | Update Source and Proxy Server | Update Source page to make this a downstream server again.

6. Initiate a synchronization.

You won't see any difference after performing these steps on the first server.
    When you'll know this is working is if the second server shows up in the console after Step #6.

Repeat Steps #1 through #6 for the other three servers.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Monday, February 22, 2010 2:32 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:13 AM

All replies

• The Level 3 servers were created from an image that were sealed and syspreped before restoring the Image.

<sigh>....

SYSPREP is not an appropriate tool to be used for imaging machines with *APPLICATIONS* installed, particularly if those applications use GUIDs to uniquely identify the machines, as WSUS downstream servers do.

So, ironically, only two threads earlier I answered this very identical scenario . . .

In theory, you should be able to do this to 'reset' these GUIDs...

1. Synchronize the downstream server so that it shows up in the console of the upstream server.

2. Set the downstream server synchronization schedule to MANUAL.

3. Modify the Options | Update Source and Proxy Server | Update Source page to make this an upstream server.

4. Delete the server from the Downstream Servers node of the upstream server's console.

5. Modify the Options | Update Source and Proxy Server | Update Source page to make this a downstream server again.

6. Initiate a synchronization.

You won't see any difference after performing these steps on the first server.
    When you'll know this is working is if the second server shows up in the console after Step #6.

Repeat Steps #1 through #6 for the other three servers.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Monday, February 22, 2010 2:32 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:13 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:32 AM
  • We had the same problems and tried the steps above to no avail.

Our solution was to un-install WSUS from the downstream servers, taking the option to delete the database but leave the update files. Re-installing WSUS had the servers show up correctly on the master server.

I assume from this method that the WSUS GUID is stored in the database.

• Proposed as answer by Techy Bod Friday, December 17, 2010 8:28 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Correct - I just solved this same problem on my cloned downstream servers.

Install SSMS locally on the downstream server and connect to the WSUS database.

Run this SQL:

update [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbConfigurationA] set serverid=newid()

Start the sync on the downstream server again - pretty much immediately, you'll see it populate on the upstream.

Note: If you do this on all downstream servers, you'll be left with a legacy duplicate server as nothing will own the original GUID. You should be able to just delete this - identify which one it is by the sync datetime.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:31 PM