WSUS downstream servers sync updates slowly from WSUS Upstream server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a WSUS environment with one server as WSUS upstream server which downloads updates from Microsoft and remaining WSUS servers spread across the locations as downstream servers. The downstream servers sync with upstream server and download updates from upstream server. The sync is succeeding but the download takes forever to download all the updates from upstream server. Is there a way I can speed up the download at the downstream servers?

Thanks & Regards

Sitaram Nayak

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Sitaram,

Thanks for your information and could you please kindly advise below details?

1. Please kindly identify the downstream server is a replica or an autonomous server.
    2. Please kindly advise the update files size that you fail to download.

BTW, I try doing some research and find a similar thread as below for your reference

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f6688023-599f-4d47-9149-4c6c71a32764/downstream-wsus-server-not-downloading-the-updates-from-the-upstream-server?forum=winserverwsus

Hope above information helps.

Best Regards

Tina Cao

====================

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:21 AM
  • Hi Tina,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Please kindly identify the downstream server is a replica or an autonomous server. - The downstream servers are replica of the upstream server.
    2. Please kindly advise the update files size that you fail to download. - When I check the Download status, I see Updates needing files: some thousands ex: 3,878 and Downloaded x MB of y MB ex : 108,242.44 MB of 195,405.75 MB .

The above numbers vary for different downstream servers.

Upstream and downstream server version : 6.3.9600.18838

Port being used is 8530

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:14 AM
  • What you're looking for is to force BITS to download using Foreground mode.

Open PowerShell as an Admin on the WSUS Server and run

$conf=(get-wsusserver).GetConfiguration()
    $conf.BitsDownloadPriorityForeground=$true
    $conf.save()

Your downloads will be fast again as they will download in the foreground rather than in the background.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:54 AM