Help with Endnotes RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the endnote function in Word 2011, and I have multiple end notes in a row. Looks like this in superscript - 13,14,15,16,17. I would like it to read 13-17 but not screw up the correlating end notes below. Can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:28 PM

Answers

• If it's a one-off, you can do this:
     a. Select the references for notes 14-16, go to Format->Font and check the Hidden box
     b. after the 13, type the separator character you want, e.g. "-" and Select it
     c. go to Format->Style and select the Endnote Reference style

Obviously, the references for 14-16 will still display whenever Hidden text is set to be visible, but otherwise you get the effect you are looking for. The display is the same in Word 2016, but endnotes are displayed very differently in the online (and possibly device) versions of Word anyway.

The advantage of the above is that endnotes should still autonumber correctly.

If you are looking for a general-purpose method to treat all "grouped endnotes" in a similar way, you would need some VBA.

If you didn't actually mean Word 2011, but (say) Windows Word 2010, 2013, or 2016,you should be able to use the same approach, but getting to the relevant dialog boxes is different. You can use e.g. ctrl-D to get the Font dialog, and Alt-Ctrl-Shift-S to get to the Style pane. (In Mac Word 2016 you can use the same menu options as Word 2011 in this case).

Peter Jamieson

• Edited by Peter Jamieson Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kelsey P Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:47 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:14 AM

All replies

• You cannot do that with the actual endnote references, though you could do so with cross-references to them. Perhaps these should all be the same endnote?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:14 AM
  • If it's a one-off, you can do this:
     a. Select the references for notes 14-16, go to Format->Font and check the Hidden box
     b. after the 13, type the separator character you want, e.g. "-" and Select it
     c. go to Format->Style and select the Endnote Reference style

Obviously, the references for 14-16 will still display whenever Hidden text is set to be visible, but otherwise you get the effect you are looking for. The display is the same in Word 2016, but endnotes are displayed very differently in the online (and possibly device) versions of Word anyway.

The advantage of the above is that endnotes should still autonumber correctly.

If you are looking for a general-purpose method to treat all "grouped endnotes" in a similar way, you would need some VBA.

If you didn't actually mean Word 2011, but (say) Windows Word 2010, 2013, or 2016,you should be able to use the same approach, but getting to the relevant dialog boxes is different. You can use e.g. ctrl-D to get the Font dialog, and Alt-Ctrl-Shift-S to get to the Style pane. (In Mac Word 2016 you can use the same menu options as Word 2011 in this case).

Peter Jamieson

• Edited by Peter Jamieson Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kelsey P Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:47 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

I have noticed your question. I am actively doing analysis. I will reply you after completing the analysis.

Best Regards,

Herb Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Microsoft Team

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams

Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:52 AM
  • Thank you Peter! That worked perfectly. You have made my day :-)

Kelsey

Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:48 PM