AMD 64 X2 - CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed Windows Vista Premium 64, but i've noticed that in the Task Manager my CPU useage is on average at around 50% during times when nothing is running aside from desktop and the basic background tasks.. this usage can -and has- jump to around 90%+ even when a few simple tasks (such as IE) are running.

There are two reasons I could see for this...

- Firstly I havn't installed any Mother Board drivers (Abit KN8 Ultra) as when I ran the disk the auto menu never produced any drivers, and ABIT havn't released any Vista based drivers for that particular motherboard, I could manually install the XP based drivers, but i'm worried if that would cause some severe conflicts or damage.

- The second reason is that I havn't installed any CPU drivers, again AMD havn't released any Vista based drivers for their 64 X2 processors.

My specs are..

AMD 64 X2 3800
    2 GIG  DDR
    7800GTX
    Audigy 2
    KN8 Ultra
    Windows Vista Premium 64bit

I'm wondering if this CPU usease is normal, with it being a dual core processor, but in all honesty I don't actually have a clue..

Thanks in advanced for any help people!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:01 PM

All replies

• hi,

it's to do with AMD's powernow technology they took about 3- 4 months to sort it out under xp they released a new powernow tool but have yet to do so under vista i spoke to a guy at AMD the other day and they said that it was microsoft's problem funny thing is though someone at microsoft said the same about AMD.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:29 PM
  • I wish it WOULD do that for me. Cool 'n' Quiet is non-functional on my X2 4200+ and Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI. Processor frequency is stuck at 100% full-tilt boggle and so are my cooling fans.

What I don't get is how me and the OP both have almost the same Nforce4 boards and X2 CPUs, but his works and mine doesn't. AMD swears it should just work. Gigabyte swears it should just work. This is even an AMD-recommended board for the X2. Don't they test these things?

Vista is great, but XP was much quieter :)

Friday, March 2, 2007 7:25 AM
  • I hope this helps. I have the same Mobo- GA-K8n Pro Sli with a 4400+ X2 cpu and Vista 64  and none of the problems you are explaining. All I can think is that your BIOS setup differs from mine. Try setting the CPU fan speed controls in the BIOS. Also have you flsahed to the new BIOS F9 yet? Mine shipped with F7 or something and I flashed it the day I got the X2 CPU.

I hope this helps.......Now, if I can only get Sli to work....Not enough resources for the second 7600GT

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:17 AM