none
DPM Agent - attaching agent user account question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a question concerning the attachment of User Agents.

During the wizard you get asked to fill in a user account which is domain user and local admin. I am working in a big organization and we use service accounts as much as we can. I found out the user account I am to use has insufficient rights, I have found out my own AD user account works for the attachment. It is alot of work to have another department in the organisation change the rights of the service account(s).

I was wondering what purpose does the account you fill in serve. I have seen that the service runs under local system and I can't really find any information about what the user account actually does(right at that moment or later on, doesn't matter).

I am asking this since I could use my own AD account if its just for authorization during the attachment but not if the account I fill in gets used in a later sitatuation.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Monday, July 28, 2014 6:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I think you are referring to the 'Protection Agent Installation Wizard'?

In step 3 of the wizard, you are asked to specify credentials. It is as you suspect only to push the installation of the agent to the target system and attach it to the DPM server.

So it's no problem to use your own (administrative) account in that wizard. That account won't be used by the system later on.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

The User Account is only used for Installing and attaching the Agent on the remote Server/Client, so best will be to use a Domain Admin user.

The Agent willalways run unter System Account, so no Special Service Account will be needed.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Thanks Michael and Leon, saves me alot of work trying to get the rights for the service accounts. Instead I can use my own AD account.
    Monday, July 28, 2014 7:43 AM