none
Windows 8.1 Industry Pro on an Embedded PC with Compact Flash

Question

• Hello

I am trying to install Windows 8.1 Industry Pro. I have choosen this OS because its the newest Embedded OS I have access via my University Dreamspark account that meats my requirements. I have excluded Windows 10 IoT Core for its limited abilities and probable lack of compatibility. The computer I have is a ECW218B-945GSE embedded computer sporting a mighty Intel Atom N270 single core running at 1.6 GHz with 1 GB of RAM. The main storage of this system is a Compact Flash drive, which I have swapped from the original 512 MB one to a 32 GB Sandisk drive. It also has two SATA ports and a 2.5inch bay for an HDD or SSD. While it can run the W8.1 system (with minor audio driver issues) on the HDD and SSD, due to the passive cooling and little internal volume the disk overheats. Therefore I wanted to install the W8.1 Industry Pro on the Compact Flash and here is my problem. Windows installer simply ignores the Compact Flash as it is listed as a removable media eventhough it is listed in BIOS as an IDE drive. However the drive is active and found by the installer, because when I select "Load driver" I can see it and browse through it.

I have tried several things. I know Windows XP runs flawlessly , but I want something newer. Both Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 8.1 Industry Pro ignore the Compact Flash. i have tried providing newest available drivers from Intel during instalation with no luck. I have tried to make a Bit copy of the HDD with the system running on this PC, while having the computer dissasembled and running the HDD externaly so it wouldnt overheat. It did not boot once I have finished the transfer. WinToUSB application recognizes Comapct Flash isnt a USB flash drive so it refuses to make a Windows Portable on it. WinToHDD recognizes its not a fixed drive and again, denial of install.

Realising I have exhausted my options I have contacted Microsoft Czech support, but was turned down as it is not possible. Two times I contacted english support. The Indian guy that responded (this was through a MS page and I checked the web certificate, not a scam, I hope) that I need to talk to Pro support. However DreamSpark does not have a Pro support code. A call was arranged twice, but it never happened. So my last attempt is here.

To be honest it turned from a simple project of selecting a good OS to a fight with MS. I still refuse to accept, that MS has made an Embedded OS which does not support an Embedded storage drive. Also it is a mystery why old Windows XP runs without any concern, while anything morem odern simply refuses to use the Compact Flash.

Thank you for any advice or guides that could help me with my problem.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please post the problem on Windows Embedded forum. Here is a link.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=windowsembedded&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Ok. I posted it here, because Monica Cam gave me a link to here in my original post and this is where I got. Original post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install-wininstalls/windows-81-industry-pro-on-an-embedded-pc-with/327a1645-8003-4976-9189-29403e6fb56c?tm=1509474799110&auth=1

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:06 AM
  • Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again. We are happy to assist you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:39 AM