You'll Like This Tip RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here's a neat way to access 'Computer', w/out using Start Menu or opening Libraries. Will let you see all your drives & so on w/ one click from the Desktop OR Quick Launch. The latter, of course, based on the premis that the User has put Quick Launch on the W7 Taskbar.

Can do this w/ Computer from the Start Menu. Rt click > Show on Desktop then, Drag & Drop to Quick Launch. By letting that (now) Quick Launch item show on the Taskbar, becomes 1-click (direct) access directly off the Taskbar.

Alternatively...

All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Computer. (This goes to same place, just has a different icon)
    Drag & Drop to Quick Launch
    OR
    > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

This should excite folks disgruntled by Libraries. Is also, appealing if wanting to make access fast & easy AND for folks who don't have icons on the Desktop or prefer Quick Launch & working from the Taskbar, rather than bothering w/ Start Menu for everything.

Enjoy

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:16 AM

All replies

• Also, another method not but necesarily better is to create a shortcut to explorer.exe and add a space and coma like so:

"G:\Windows\explorer.exe ,"

Bring this to taskbar and with any luck it should open computer.
    Seasons greetings!
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:09 AM
  • That's a good tip, though for me icons on the desktop are my preference. 

Personally, I prefer to keep several icons pointed at different drives, and navigate to the folder(s) I want to access once I have Explorer open.

Call me an old school computer geek, but for the life of me I can't see what's wrong with desktop icons and why they've "fallen out of fashion".  And no, I don't let them accumulate unabated.  I have exactly the ones I want exactly where I can find them.  As far as I'm concerned the Task Bar is a great place to find running programs and that's all.  None of this "pinning" stuff for me; the last thing I want is a Mac dock!

:)

-Noel
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:14 AM
  • You'll like this one, well maybe not. Have you ever pinned a text document to the taskbar in W7 and notepad opens instead of the text document (My goodness)? Well you'll make a shorcut to explorer and add the full path to the text document as shown here (good grief):

explorer "C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\address\my address.txt"

It woyks.

O.K. I couldn't resist Noel. Your an old school computer geek but that's not based upon your commentary, only since you requested it.

Seasons greetings!
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Noel,

In  computers there are often many ways to do things.  I didn't know Desktop icons had gone "out of fashion".  It's all very subjective.  Myself & likely others), I like a nice pictoral Desktop w/out icons on or over it.  I, personally like things, simple, direct, quick, clear, easy.  My set up works & is comfy, for me.

The "tip" was mostly thinking of folks whinging about the W7 Start Menue & Libraries... this let's ppl go to Computer w/out going into Libraries or needing the Start Menu.

I'm an "old school" IT, too (I'm old period) but, I never did care to have icons on the Desktop...  Like you, though, I "pin" very little...just the few things 'constantly' (you know what I mean) in use, that I want handy.  Links on the taskbar & Quick Launch provide nice access to remaining interests.

Certainly what one grows to like, my not be the next person's cup of tea.  Just letting ppl know what IS possible, from there they can, certainly, design thier own particular 'Desktop landscape'.  :)

Cheers,
    Drew
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Just joshing but this is why I like the new taskbar for the fact that as you say it can be very usefull when combined with a quick launch but I don't think I could cope with the new bar be itself. My addendum for the text document was purely for amusment so please don't try this at home.

Seasons greetings!
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Isn't it much easier to just press Win+E? Or is it not default to have "Computer" opened when pressing Win+E to open the explorer?
    (It may be the case that I have modified my Default Explorer folder in Windows 7 in the past, but at this moment my "Quick Launch Explorer icon" opens my favorites; my Win+E opens Computer)

Christian Gude webmaster ITExperience.net
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Yes Win+E does it, also.  What I have suggested & described allows one to open Computer w/ 1 mouse click.  Each to thier own.  As I said, w/ computers there is often more than 1 way to do something.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Personally I really like the computer shortcut and wouldn't you know, it's sitting in my taskbar even as we speak/type.
    Seasons greetings!
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Nice, def.  (visualize thumbs up thingy)
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:40 PM
  • It wasn't until you did the 50tips thingy and somebody else mentioning your other tips that I actually looked to see what you've posted before. I'm sending Christmas email stockings LOL to my computer nervous friends and family (maybe that'll slow them down calling me). Course now I hope they won't find me if I ever win the lottery LOL.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:21 PM