Windows 7 running slower - MsMpEng.exe using a lot of CPU RRS feed

• Question

• MsMpEng.exe appears to be part of Windows Defender from what I can find searching Google, but I don't see it (Windows Defender) anywhere on my computer. Is it also included in Microsoft Security Essentials ? I do have that installed.

Task Manager says it's AntiMalware Service Executable . When I killed it, Microsoft Security Essentials poped up an warning box saying it wasn't monitoring my system any more, so I guess I answered my own question.

So ... why is it using a lot of CPU now? As far as I can tell, it's not doing a scan or update.

Rich
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:19 PM Focus (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Rich,

If MSMPENG.EXE is constantly consuming excessive memory and CPU, it should be caused conflicts between services and process. I recommend you tring the Dichotomy method to find out the root cause. you can refer to the KB929135, I have included the link for your convenience:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/   

In addition, you can use the Process Monitor v2.8 to monitor what's the MSMPENG.EXE process doing.

If you find this issue is caused by the Microsoft Security Essentials, you can shutdown all task in the Microsoft Security Essentials, or reinstall it.

I hope this can help you. 

John

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 21, 2009 10:02 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Rich,

If MSMPENG.EXE is constantly consuming excessive memory and CPU, it should be caused conflicts between services and process. I recommend you tring the Dichotomy method to find out the root cause. you can refer to the KB929135, I have included the link for your convenience:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/   

In addition, you can use the Process Monitor v2.8 to monitor what's the MSMPENG.EXE process doing.

If you find this issue is caused by the Microsoft Security Essentials, you can shutdown all task in the Microsoft Security Essentials, or reinstall it.

I hope this can help you. 

John

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 21, 2009 10:02 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Adding C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server to the Excluded files and locations in Microsoft Security Essentials helped in my case.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:59 AM