locked
Outlook 2013 can't connect to Exchange 2013 SP1 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I've already asked that question on Exchange 2013, now I'd like to ask it again in regard to Exchange 2013 SP1.

    The question i s very easy: suppose I have just installed Exchange 2013 SP1 (in a Win2012 R2 domain)  with three mailboxes (user1, user2, user3). I can successfully run ecp and owa for all users...

    ...but when I'm starting Outlook 2013 and trying to set up a profile manually, for example, user1@test.local, Exchange 2013 Sp1 keeps saying "Outlook can't log on...The name cannot be resolved."

    In Exchange 2013 this could be fixed by adding the server's ip address to its Hosts file, but I thought it was a bug and it would be corrected later or sooner... Now the same problem with Exchange 2013SP1...

    Would anybody please tell me is there anything special I must do to connect to Exchange 2013SP1 via Outlook 2013 (not Outlook 2013SP1 - without MAPI over HTTP)??? If yes what articles can I read about it?

    Thank you in advance,

    Michael


    • Edited by MF47 Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:53 PM missing word
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:51 PM

Answers

  • Hi Angela,

    Please excume me - all is working now...  My Exchage Server's network adapter is having two ip addresses (for testing purposes) and for unnkown reason all Exchange services (as far as I understand) were bound to the second IP address (that didn't have access to a domain controller). After deleting that IP all went well.

    Thank you all for the help!

    Regards,

    Michael

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:28 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Based on my knowledge, in Exchange 2013, the server name option shoule be filled with the new type "mailbox GUID +@+ the domain portion of the user's primary SMTP address".

    Thus, please check the result of configure the account when you try the new type.

    And to get mailbox GUID, we can depend on the following command:

    get-mailbox name |fl ExchangeGUID

    Thanks,

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com


    Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Hi Angela Shi,

    Thank you for the reply!

    "the server name option should be filled with the new type "mailbox GUID +@+ the domain portion of the user's primary SMTP address". - would you please provide me with a link to a corresponding article?

    ...if that's the case why the "Microsoft Exchange server " field is filled by just a short name ("mail") by default? Exchange 2013 can't resolve it's own name correctly? This mailbox/server name resolution worked perfect in Exchange 5.5, 2000, 2003-2010...

    "And to get mailbox GUID, we can depend on the following command:

    get-mailbox name |fl ExchangeGUID" - I can't believe it's by design...Should a user wish to add another mailbox profile he/she must  first learn the aforementioned command?

    Regards,

    Michael


    • Edited by MF47 Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:31 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

    When we automatically configure the account, Autodiscover service will help Outlook find the new type and we don't need to run the command to get the mailbox GUID until we manually configure the profile.

    For more information, you can refer to the following article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124251(v=exchg.150).aspx
    "Through the Autodiscover service, Outlook finds a new connection point made up of the user’s mailbox GUID + @ + the domain portion of the user’s primary SMTP address."

    Thanks,

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, May 26, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

    How about the issue now?

    If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks,

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com


    Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:19 AM
  • Hi Angela,

    Please excume me - all is working now...  My Exchage Server's network adapter is having two ip addresses (for testing purposes) and for unnkown reason all Exchange services (as far as I understand) were bound to the second IP address (that didn't have access to a domain controller). After deleting that IP all went well.

    Thank you all for the help!

    Regards,

    Michael

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Try using fqdn name of the server instead net bios name.

    Thanks Prem P Rana MCSA Messaging 2003 MCSE 2003 Server MCTS MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 Gurgaon, India http://blogs.msexchange-experts.com

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Hi Prem,

    Thank you for your reply!

    "Try using fqdn name of the server instead net bios name." - I tried even ip - no joy...

    Regards,

    Michael

    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:54 AM