windows vista sucks part 2 RRS feed

• Question

• not only i cant do anything i tried to connect to the internet that doesnt work because of the service i have now is not compatible. i cant use none of my usb plug-ins like my camera, camcorder,webcam, printer,dvd burner. everytime my computer loads up it says no cd-rom and no audio device installed. its just all messed up. some1 please help me out.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 9:31 PM

All replies

• Did you by chance check the widely available and much advertised Vista Upgrade Advisor BEFORE installing Vista? It sounds like perhaps you did not.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:08 AM
  • This sounds like a device driver problem, big hardware problem, or a serious installation failure. Obviously this is not a new computer, did you upgrade from Windows XP, or I'm guessing Windows 98?  Upgrading something old to Vista is a big mistake and the slighest bit of research would tell you that.  Vista works great on any mainstream machine.  All of the above work just fine on a range of machines that I have tried.   If you would like help, try adding details about your computer, make, model, RAM, etc, instead of your juvenile comment.    The title you selected for your post more accurately describes your writing ability and explains your current dilemma.  You come across as someone who did you not pay attention or try in school and are now reaping the rewards of your poor decision.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:39 AM
  • You really should keep up with cnet.com.

They had a forum for the last 2 months about the pros & cons of MS Vista.

Had you read it - you would have not invested your time, money (both) in it yet, and would have known that there are MANY periferal compatibility issues.

I upgraded to Vista & it took me approximately 33 hours (20 consec.) to get printers, external dvd, etc.. working.

The best bet is to go to the websites of the companies of your equipment.  They are now "catching up" with the "latest drivers to work with Vista".  It will take time to unstall the drivers that you currently have & reinstall the new ones for Vista, and be prepared to lose some features, especially for the DVD burner, as Vista is not compatible with the editing features that come with it (at least that's what happened to me). 

I also had to part with my wonderful firewall protection from CA (Computer Associate) which worked so well, and recognized that I am the computer's administrator, and when I block something -  I don't want to be asked everytime I want to upload an Office file from an email if I give permission to continue to see it (annoying Vista feature).

Hang in there though - Vista does have some cool things.

After you have installed, removed, rebooted - catch some rest, and play with it - eventually you will like what you see!

catthbr

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:50 PM
  • I think if you've got a compatible computer Vista wouldn't suck!

I didn't had any problems at all in the beginning.. Only on my pc no.1 the install has gone bad. ON my pc no.2 everything is all right. I think that people must understand if you upgrade your os, you need to upgrade your pc.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 9:17 AM
  • Even if you have a compatible computer,  good luck on getting all your peripherals and non Microsoft software to work.      I agree it's not Microsoft's responsibility to make everything work with Vista.   But I think some more effort could have been made on backwards compatibility.      If you got an older peripheral you'll be lucky if the vendor even comes out with Vista drivers for it, because they want you to buy new.     Whatever, it's the consumer that is getting the worst end of everything.   My advice is to stick with XP until there is a need to go to Vista, maybe by then a lot of the problems will be worked out.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 1:57 PM
  • I feel your pain.  I went from XP to Vista Pro. Having similar problems with driver compatibility.  I am part of a group of brave souls testing it before it is loaded campus wide at our university.  It has been completely dragging my system. I also am not buying that old computer baloney, because my CPU (E-6400) is just reaching the two year mark.  It was purring like a kitten with XP, but now there are some tricky issues with Vista. 

I usually have to restart it, let the system completely reboot before turning on my external hardrive or it will not recognize it.  It has been playing havoc with my connections to the network printers and actually kicking me off the wireless printer.  Shutting down or restarting, I will usually go across campus or off campus and get something to eat, because waiting for it to restart strains my patience level.  The system is also a bully; it will not allow me to use software for my scanner, unless I opt for Windows Scan fax Software.  Also I hate the blackmail aspect to the MS office portion with Vista.  It didn't like our 2003 liscensed copy of Visio, and wouldn't allow template downloads until we had the liscensed 2007 version. Things that I now consider as freebies that came with XP.  When using Photoshop, importing scans using the Scanwizard software, windows will not allow it.   I think vista has some serious problems that need to be addressed.  I can figure somethings out, but for others comfortable with the ease of use of XP, it is and will present some problems.  It looks pretty; it has some neat aspects, but so far a bit of a cumbersome pain for the most part.  But I like a good fight!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:22 PM
  •  whey2 wrote:

I feel your pain.  I went from XP to Vista Pro. Having similar problems with driver compatibility.  I am part of a group of brave souls testing it before it is loaded campus wide at our university.  It has been completely dragging my system. I also am not buying that old computer baloney, because my CPU (E-6400) is just reaching the two year mark.  It was purring like a kitten with XP, but now there are some tricky issues with Vista. 

E-6400? I didn't think it had even been around 2 years ago. Vista "Pro" is also a version I've not heard of. Running  a licensed copy of Office 2003 here with absolutely no problem. Ditto for my non-MS scanning software. I'm all for yelling and screaming about concrete problems and there are definitely some of them with Vista. However I'm also all for clarity with those things that are not true problems.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:49 PM

Machine: XPS M1210, 2GB RAM, Duo Core 2.0GHz

Problems:

TMM - touted as a great way to recognize external display;

issues: doesn't remember external display (Acer AL2216W)'s placement in a multi-display,

always try to set the vertical frequency to 85Hz...

Power Options:

when display is set to turn off after 1 min,

entire unit sometimes go into "frozen" mode

(ie keyboard unresponsive - have to hold and press

power button down for 2 seconds to shut it down);

options have already been set not to sleep/hibernate,

and hard disks have also been set NOT to power down.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Sorry, still a bit in XP mode,  Vista Business.  Still some serious issues.  I shut down my computer yesterday and this morning when I came in it was still trying to shut.  Something is causing it to freeze up.  I usually have to turn of the CPU manually.  I thought maybe it was my external hardrive, but I haven't been using it since Vista rarely recognizes it.  I am back on the wireless printer, Hopefully it will not kick me off again.  Everyone that I work with thinks I should go back to XP, but naw.... I love a good fight.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:29 PM
  • I have had three PCs in the last seven years and have work with and around a computer sence 1984. One came with 98 one with XP and my new one I have a little while now came Vista and Windows Vista dose suck big time compared to my first two computers!

Sunday, August 5, 2007 9:28 AM
  • Hey it's not all bad.  Vista lags all the systems I have used (inc. the new Duos the company I work for has bought) and between one flavour and another, they are even rated inconsistantly (scoring a higher score on Ultimate than on Business). 

The thing is I always wanted to try Linux.  When Windows XP was King, I would never be able to bring myself to do it as Linux not user friendly and XP is.  Now however Vista is the current Windows OS and there is no longer any reason at all not to use Linux. 

1. Linux is more user friendly than Vista
    2. Linux has better compatability with traditional Windows programs than Vista.
    3. Linux distributors dont complain about "lazy" hardware manurfacturers not making drivers that cause problems, they just try and sort it.
    4. Linux is available from a starting price of FREE

I never thought the day would come that Linux would really compete for the desktop system market.  But Microsoft have personally taken on the responsability of ensuring people move away from Windows.  People should stop slamming MS about Vista.  First they are told off for being too much of a monopoly, now they have given everybody a great reason to break away and they are still to blame.

Nice one Microsoft! Viva la revolution!

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:12 PM