Multiple Installations on one server RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm thinking of running 4 VMs, however I only have 1 physical server. I know that I would need 2 copies of Microsoft Server Standard, but I have no idea how to install a second copy without overwriting the first or if it is even possible. We only have one hypervisor to control our VMs and would like to keep it at 1 for consistency. I am very new to this so any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated. 
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:23 PM

Answers

• It's not quite that literal.

Yes, you need two copies but perhaps the better phrasing would be "you need proof of ownership of two copies". So long as you are correctly licenced, there is no issue.

How would this look? You could still be running Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 as the physical host operating system while having four guests running under Hyper-V on it. How you apply your key depends on how you purchased the licence, however, you would need to be at least using a MAK key if you don't already have a KMS key against which the operating systems would otherwise automatically activate.

If you don't have access to either then you'd most likely need to use old-school phone activation.

What you don't need to do is install Windows Server twice on the physical host.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Edited by Lain Robertson Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:07 AM Added clarification on what you don't need to do as far as physical host installations go.
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Boots Friday, July 29, 2016 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by EndoftheRope Wednesday, August 3, 2016 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:06 AM

All replies

• It's not quite that literal.

Yes, you need two copies but perhaps the better phrasing would be "you need proof of ownership of two copies". So long as you are correctly licenced, there is no issue.

How would this look? You could still be running Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 as the physical host operating system while having four guests running under Hyper-V on it. How you apply your key depends on how you purchased the licence, however, you would need to be at least using a MAK key if you don't already have a KMS key against which the operating systems would otherwise automatically activate.

If you don't have access to either then you'd most likely need to use old-school phone activation.

What you don't need to do is install Windows Server twice on the physical host.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Edited by Lain Robertson Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:07 AM Added clarification on what you don't need to do as far as physical host installations go.
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Boots Friday, July 29, 2016 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by EndoftheRope Wednesday, August 3, 2016 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

If the replies have resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:42 PM