none
How to merge two columns data into a third column (text fields) in a custom list? is it possible to do with some configuration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am wokring with MOSS 2007 environment.

In one of the sites I have a custom list which has the following columns

1. Report Title - Hyperlink

2. Description - Multiple lines

3. Created date - date

The requirement is to merge the "Report Title and Description" and show it in a third column which will be inlcuded in the custom view.

Report Title                           Decsription                                                                Created date

XYZ                           Test Report which needs to be deployed                 01/01/2011

This needs to be changed to

Name                                                                                  Created Date                                 

XYZ                                                                01/01/2011

Test Report which needs to be deployed

Please suggest.

Regards,

Sudhir

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, April 9, 2011 7:29 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sudhir,

You can use the"Calculated Column" available in SharePoint and achieve this. Create a calculated column and add the following formula to it

=[Report Title]&[Description]

Refer the complete list of calculated column formulas

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb862071.aspx

My SharePoint Blog
    http://dhireny.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Thanks Dhiren :-)

Regards,

Sudhir

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Too bad this does'nt work in case:

- The resource column is a lookup from another list

- The resource column is a choice box where multiple items are alowed.

Friday, October 4, 2013 10:37 AM
  • Hello,

Having you gotten an anwser as of yet. I ma having a similar issue. Where my Sp list has 4 columns  , one column is used as the drop down in infopath and the other three are people picker that allow multiple users.

Trouble is , when there is more tan one user assigned to a specific role. Infopath retuns only one name. Does anyone know how to resolve this. Possible find a wa to merge all names from a people picker filed and have it display in Infopath as a single text field.

Thank You.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:18 PM
  • I used this method for 2 choice drop downs and it worked. WHO-HOO!!!

The only thing is that the data being display is showing duplicates, ei."Contractor/Contractor", which is the "value" and "display"field  in the corresponding InfoPath form field (Domestic Personnel Status) attached to the list.
    Is there anyway to modify the formula to remove either the "value" or the "display" from the formula for Domestic Personnel Status?

Here is my current formula:

=[Domestic Personnel Status]&[Personnel Type]

Marie

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:00 PM