none
secondary and primary DPM retention period RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We have two DPM servers, one at our primary site and another at our DR site.  The secondary DPM server has a tape library attached.
    Both DPM servers currently have matching disk storage capacity. 

Soon we will need to purchase more disk storage for DPM due to a large amount of file data about to be migrated over to our infrastructure. 

This raised some questions

Originally we planned to only go to tape monthly and yearly.

With this in mind, do I really need to retain the data on my secondary DPM server’s disk for the same amount of time as my primary DPM server’s disk?
    What would be the negatives for not matching the retention time on disk for both DPM servers?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no requirement to match the retention range between primary and secondary DPM server.  No downside other than if the primary goes belly up, you can only recovery data from the secondary for the retention period specified on the secondary.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:51 PM